Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd miscarriage, 2 yolk sacs no embryo or heartbeat at 9 weeks - any help?

• 05-05-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, new here. I miscarried last December at 12 weeks, two days before my first scan appointment. I had been having some light spotting before hand. I miscarried naturally at home and managed to save I think all the tissue (sorry if tmi) I didn't find any fetus.

I conceived again early march, and all was fine until Sunday past I suddenly had a very small bleed. It stopped, and for two days there was nothing but a tiny bit of pink on wiping. Bleeding picked up again by Wednesday. Went for a scan yesterday and the doctor said it looked like the normal start of a pregnancy as in there was a gestational sac (only measuring 13mm tho which equates to 5 weeks - I was 8w6d) and what looked like two yolk sacs, but no sign of a baby. She booked me in for another scan on the 18th but summarised with it didn't look like a normal pregnancy. I went on to miscarry last night. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have read conflicting things online regarding if it is or isn't a blighted ovum if there is a yolk sac, was there ever an embryo? Was it a chromosonal issue or does the problem lie with me? Was it the same issue both times?

I know I'm not really going to get any answers here, I'm just so worried and confused. We really wanted this baby. I have no other children. My boyfriend is heartbroken, as am I. I hadn't been drinking much since the last pregnancy, but I had one heavy weekend after I had conceived as there was a birthday and a wedding the same weekend (obviously I didn't know I was pregnant at that point) could it have been because of that? I'm racking my brain and have been trawling the internet all bloody day. It's horrible.

Anyway it helps to write it all out at least. I'll have a list of questions on the 18th.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. That sounds so tough, and unfortunately I don't have much to say to help you. What I will say though, is that many many women have had heavy nights out in early pregnancy, before realising they were pregnant (I had a couple myself and fortunately I had a healthy baby). You weren't to know so please do not beat yourself up about this.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

It was not the heavy weekend or anything else that you did in the early days that caused this. It's something like 7 weeks or so before the embryo is connecting with the mother's bloodstream. Before that the nutrition it needs is coming from the sac/yolk.

The only successful pregnancy I had came about being conceived between two of the heaviest weekends in my life. Two weekends in a row I had social stuff on put away a fair bit of drink.

If the sac stopped growing at the 5-6 week mark, the reason the scan isn't giving you concrete answers is down to technology. Many clinics wont scan you until you are well into your 7th week because before that date even with a healthy pregnancy often seeing anything on a monitor at that early stage is difficult and can be missed. Your next appointment hopefully should give you more answers.

The sad fact is that miscarriage is common, and often no cause can be found, but the women go on to have healthy pregnancies. In Ireland they are loath to investigate miscarriage until you've experienced your third one and even then don't offer some tests that would be standard on the NHS. But they can do basic blood tests to rule out if you have some of the more common chromosomal issues as far as I can remember.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm sorry to hear your story OP. I'm not 100% sure what your questions are, and I'm not TTC myself, but I can tell you that I've had scans at 5,6,7,8,9 weeks on two pregnancies and both times there's been a yolk sac etc, but at the really early scans that was all they could tell me. It was at 7 or 8 week scans before they could tell me that they "something" and there was blood flow through it. Both were successful pregnancies. I don't know if that helps in any way with your original questions?

It was not your heavy weekend. I was unknowingly pregnant with no. 2 and on holidays and had a lot of wine and it was fine. Please don't blame yourself. It's not your fault.

Advertisement