Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get miscarriage tissue analysed

• 05-05-2017 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, does anyone know if the hospital/hse will agree to analyse the tissue from a second consecutive miscarriage or if they insist on waiting for a third miscarriage?

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think it might depend on the hospital, the person you are dealing with and your own circumstances. I brought tissue to my EPU and they were reluctant but I nicely stood my ground and they did send it off. Eventually. Though in my case it was MC #4.

The trouble is with the sample is that unless it's collected in a D&C situation and the whole lot sent to the lab, a home collection is not certain. I was very careful collecting the sample, but even then the result I got from the sample was that it was a) female, and b) no chromosomal issues found and even with a blood sample from me they could not ascertain whether it was maternal or foetal tissue. So the outcome was either they tested tissue originating from me or it was female foetal tissue, either way, no chromosomal issues found.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

Sorry to be late replying on this. I had my second mc (it was a silent mc so I had to have a D&C) at the end of April. I am 45 and my consultant basically told me that she would tell a little white lie to the lab to get me a test and told them it was my 3rd mc. She said it would be 6-8 weeks for the results so we are waiting to hear back from her. We were also private, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It would also depend on how much fetal tissue was still available for testing. In my case, I hadn't passed anything so there was some tissue there to be tested but if you have already miscarried and it's complete, then you won't have anything for the test.

Advertisement