Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out

Options
  • 05-05-2017 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I want to move out of my rented house but I have no phone number to contact the landlord. I've sent an email giving a months notice but no response after a week. I haven't heard from the landlord in 18 months and have no lease, receipt for my deposit or paperwork of any description and I don't have his address. I am tempted to subtract the deposit from the last months rent which I haven't paid yet, close the door and push the keys through the letterbox. There were some issues with the house that he never solved since I moved in so I feel as if I owe him nothing. Please advise

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is the tenancy registered (you can check on the RTB website).
    The RTB should be in a position to forward correspondence for you- if its registered. Seriously though- if you haven't heard from him in 18 months- how do you know he isn't dead and buried a long while- or senile in a nursing home- god only knows what the story is.

You may have sent him an e-mail- however, if he hasn't received it/read it- you haven't given him notice.

How did you rent the property in the first place- from the landlord directly- or from an agent?

What I'm teasing out is- have you any other avenues to try and determine his current address and making contact with him?

In a push- as you've been paying rent- you could contact his bank advising them of your concerns for him- and ask that they forward correspondence to him on your behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not having a phone number, or any kind of paperwork for the place, is quite unusual.

If you have no receipt for your deposit, then you didn't pay it. Practically speaking.

Does the landlord have a phone number for you? Could he find you if you just moved out? I'm not saying that you should do this. But you do need to look at possible actions and consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Baralis1 wrote: »
    I am tempted to subtract the deposit from the last months rent which I haven't paid yet
    Give the landlord a month to get in contact with you... but have the rent on hand in case he has your deposit. How much more is the deposit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I want to move out of my rented house but I have no phone number to contact the landlord. I've sent an email giving a months notice but no response after a week. I haven't heard from the landlord in 18 months and have no lease, receipt for my deposit or paperwork of any description and I don't have his address. I am tempted to subtract the deposit from the last months rent which I haven't paid yet, close the door and push the keys through the letterbox. There were some issues with the house that he never solved since I moved in so I feel as if I owe him nothing. Please advise

You can write a letter to the manager of his bank branch, enclosing a letter to pass to your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Well I had a number originally but lost it when I changed phone. I rented privately through an ad on daft.
    I just checked and it is registered with the PTRB. Would they be allowed give me his phone number?
    I'm sure he's fine. He has a family. His wife replied to emails sometimes initially when I moved in. I think it's more that he's one of these landlords who likes to get the rent into his account every month with no hassle and no expense. He hasn't put a penny into the house in a year and a half.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Give the landlord a month to get in contact with you... but have the rent on hand in case he has your deposit. How much more is the deposit?
    I have to have moved by the end of the month so as far as I am concerned, the email is his notice but I will try and get in touch by other means. The rent is more than the deposit.

I have to have moved by the end of the month so as far as I am concerned, the email is his notice but I will try and get in touch by other means. The rent is more than the deposit.

But obviously I'll at least pay him the difference. I won't do him out of money

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

close the door and push the keys through the letterbox
    If the house gets thrashed between you doing so, and the LL opening the door, the LL may hold you liable for said damages.

the_syco wrote: »
    If the house gets thrashed between you doing so, and the LL opening the door, the LL may hold you liable for said damages.

How so? The house will be locked. If someone breaks in, how would I be responsible?

How so? The house will be locked. If someone breaks in, how would I be responsible?

Legally- you have not given notice as prescribed under the Act- and notice by text message and/or e-mail has specifically been ruled invalid numerous times at adjudication by the RTB- aka you have not given valid notice of termination.

Contact the RTB- worse case scenario they can give you his physical address (which you are entitled to)- at that point- give formal notice of termination by registered post- and make damn sure you register it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A months notice is not sufficient.

I got a number for the landlord and got in contact. He got the email, just couldn't be arsed replying. He's happy with the notice period which is in fact 35 days. (I know it should be 42). I'm allowing him to hold viewings before I move out so this should save him having a gap in his rental income so it works both ways. I don't need to do that.

Grand- so all's well, that ends well.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement