Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prince Charles coming to Kilkenny(No political crap)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What a cop-out.

It's not a cop-out. The British armed forces, of which Charles is a member, murdered innocent Irish people in huge numbers. This can not be excused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Prince Charles had family targeted and killed and he has managed to move on. Were your family also targeted and killed and is that why you can't do the same?

I wouldn't tell the families of those who were killed by British forces or republican paramilitaries, what to do. If they want to ask justice then more power to them. But I wouldn't let them get in the way of the rest of the world moving on. You can live in the past if you like. The rest of us will be here in the present if you're looking for us

How many members of the British armed forces spent time behind bars for their crimes? Do you think they should be allowed to get away with murder? If not then what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

neverever1 wrote: »
    It's not a cop-out. The British armed forces, of which Charles is a member, murdered innocent Irish people in huge numbers. This can not be excused.
    Yeah, but that didn't happen in a vacuum, and they weren't the only casualties of that "war".

But you don't seem willing or able to acknowledge that.

So yeah, for me it's a cop-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Ok folks, Keep this thread to the visit of Prince Charles. Anything else take it to politics.

Mod-Off topic posts deleted. Next comes bans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

**** off with the political ****e , Jesus if it was murderers like Guevara Mandela or Castro people would be welcoming them on their knees , I welcome wholeheartedly the representatives of our closest neighbour and biggest tourist and trading partner , I can't see anything but good to come out of this , long live the Queen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

^^^ While I'm not going to go that far..... :D
    There would be loads of English people posting on here, also Irish expats in England....we can't possibly say no to his visit.... anything that brings the 2 countrys even closer together has got to be welcomed imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Think of all the extra income the visit will generate with people coming from wide and afar to spend their lovely cash.

Mod-Stonedpilot and Neverever1 and Glenster do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Anyway, Prince Charles has been here on regular occasions over the past few years so it's hardly news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cml387 wrote: »
    Anyway, Prince Charles has been here on regular occasions over the past few years so it's hardly news.

Yeah it's great that relations have normalised to that extent over the last few years. Any event that causes the giver to spend money in local areas like that, is a good thing. Moneygall got a bake over when Obama visited. The 2 towns to the north of moneygall on the N7, Borris-in-Ossory and Mountrath, would benefit from a foreign dignitary's visit. They look terrible by comparison. I don't resent KK this good fortune. I hope the money is plentiful and well spent. And I hope it makes KK looks well

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I know I am biased, but to me Kilkenny always looks well due to the architecture in the city, the castle, St Canice's Cathedral with it's round tower, the tholsel, the slipways between High St and Kieran St, it is very nice along the river and it would want to be as the flood relief scheme cost €40 million plus.
    Thankfully some of the road works are near complete in the city, and the new bridge will be good despite some who protested it.

It was this year voted by the Japanese association of travel agents as the most beautiful town in Europe.
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/news/236888/kilkenny-awarded-the-title-of-most-beautiful-town-in-europe.html

I am happy for any tourist whether famous or not to come to Kilkenny, it is not a big place, but it is a nice place, and it is 113 years since the last royal visit when King Edward and Queen Alexandra stayed in the castle on their visit.

Yes there is an obsession over security, but the future king of England is a target and I don't think anybody wants Kilkenny in the news because Charles or Camilla were attacked.
    So with manholes being sealed and a traffic cordon being put in place, yes the traffic bit will be an annoyance for some people, but like with any tourist, once they get here and get away safe and well and with good memories of their visit, that is all that matters.
    I just view them as tourists who need extra security, and tourism is what Kilkenny city thrives on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Charles was in Donegal last year.. there was a large security presence.. but not a whole deal about it in the news, which is hardly surprising I suppose.

It's hard to say if it had any impact on tourism. The locals all came out for a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ah I suppose....so long as he doesn't bring his Army.....

It might be interesting if anyone gets his views on a BBC programme upcoming on Thursday night called King Charles III where the new king causes a constitutional crisis by refusing to sign some legislation.
    Based on a stage play that's been running on the west end.

Note that he may not even be called King Charles III. He can chose to be any name. His grandfather's name was Albert yet he chose to be King George VI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cml387 wrote: »
    It might be interesting if anyone gets his views on a BBC programme upcoming on Thursday night called King Charles III where the new king causes a constitutional crisis by refusing to sign some legislation.
    Based on a stage play that's been running on the west end.

Note that he may not even be called King Charles III. He can chose to be any name. His grandfather's name was Albert yet he chose to be King George VI

But the play is pure fiction. I have seen it and it could have been about anybody becoming a monarch.

Anyway, off topic.

His visit can only be a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

What relation was Charles to Mountbatten? Will Charles be going on a boat trip when he's over?

Some sick puppies on here.....

timthumbni wrote: »
    Some sick puppies on here.....

Since they ask Lord Mountbatten was the Duke of Edinburgh's uncle.

Prince Charles of course made a visit recently to Sligo to the place where Lord Mountbatten was killed.

Charles was quite close to his granduncle and it was a gesture of letting the past be in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Prince Charles is a very down to earth guy and loves Ireland we should give it back to him .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭biscuithead

Wonder if he will be taken to Lugg, County Dublin. Maybe a trip to Lugnaquila in Wicklow. After that a nice visit to Inish-Ear :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Can you back your figure "millions" up.?

I dounwit, so BS.

With the army distracted protecting Charles we'll be easy prey from a Russian/ISIS invasion which will cost trillions of euros to repulse.

**** off with the political ****e , Jesus if it was Freedom Fighters like Guevara Mandela or Castro people would be welcoming them on their knees , I welcome wholeheartedly the representatives of our closest neighbour and biggest tourist and trading partner , I can't see anything but good to come out of this , long live the Queen

Well that would be hard seeing as how their all dead & the people in the Free State are feed a diet of pro-American, social conservative propaganda anyway.

Prince Charles had family targeted and killed and he has managed to move on. Were your family also targeted and killed and is that why you can't do the same?

I wouldn't tell the families of those who were killed by British forces or republican paramilitaries, what to do. If they want to ask justice then more power to them. But I wouldn't let them get in the way of the rest of the world moving on. You can live in the past if you like. The rest of us will be here in the present if you're looking for us

So did Gerry Adams.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Someone had this up on facebook, a summary of Charles' visit through Kilkenny

18402834_1483935571651257_3579581750046694813_n.jpg?oh=7f8b0d67fd125eecb40e6d2b75423243&oe=59AB94BB
    link

• Advertisement

What relation was Charles to Mountbatten? Will Charles be going on a boat trip when he's over?

I was a supporter of the Provos & Irps campaigns (I'm not a supporter of any dissidents) of liberation but the Mountbatten killing was a total waste of time & several innocent people lost their lives in the attack as well, it was counter-productive as it caused a huge backlash from the public & I never supported the killing of innocent civilians only military & economic targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I was a supporter of the Provos & Irps campaigns (I'm not a supporter of any dissidents) of liberation but the Mountbatten killing was a total waste of time & several innocent people lost their lives in the attack as well, it was counter-productive as it caused a huge backlash from the public & I never supported the killing of innocent civilians only military & economic targets.

How very considerate of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/corcaighbhoy/status/862712689654738944

I see a number of posts on twitter where the people of kilkenny have been called scum, west Brits and other such comments because we decide to live for the future rather than live in the past.

Building friendships between the two islands that didn't get on is far better than festering hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Kilkenny looked beautiful today as she always does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Autosport wrote: »
    north waterford looked beautiful today as she always does.

fyp :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Now now Tom don't be jealous, doesn't suit you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Autosport wrote: »
    Now now Tom don't be jealous, doesn't suit you ;)

Just a matter of time......

Ah lads your desperation to be on the winning team for once is starting to get the better of ye :P

Samsgirl wrote: »

Waterford bringing civilislation to the last wilderness areas of the south East :pac:

Ah lads your desperation to be on the winning team for once is starting to get the better of ye :P

Nah......really really wouldn't touch tipp with a barge pole :D

**except carrick beg. ...the posh part of carrick :D

Nah......really really wouldn't touch tipp with a barge pole :D

**except carrick beg. ...the posh part of carrick :D

Tipp? One-in-a-row Tipp!? :P

Kilkenny wouldn't lower themselves to go in to battle with Waterford. They'd just send in their Carlow reserves.

I'd like to at this point out....waterford were the last team to win an all Ireland in hurling

U21 :D:D

8/10 for desperation......swear ta fcuk if we ever win the senior.....ye'll never hear the end of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I love how jealous Waterford people are of beautiful Kilkenny. It's nice to be wanted. We just wish we were wanted by someone a little more attractive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Barbie! wrote: »
    Kilkenny wouldn't lower themselves to go in to battle with Waterford. They'd just send in their Carlow reserves.
    How very dare you.

• Advertisement

How very dare you.

Carlow man born and bred. We'd whip them bitches and be home in time for breakfast.

I'd like to at this point out....waterford were the last team to win an all Ireland in hurling

U21 :D:D

8/10 for desperation......swear ta fcuk if we ever win the senior.....ye'll never hear the end of it :D

Wow, I had to look up when was the last time Waterford won one... now I feel pretty bad about making fun of ye, poor souls

Wow, I had to look up when was the last time Waterford won one... now I feel pretty bad about making fun of ye, poor souls

:(:(

It's nearly 10 years since they won a championship match in croke park ffs.....I hate Dublin :( :, (

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I love how jealous Waterford people are of beautiful Kilkenny. It's nice to be wanted. We just wish we were wanted by someone a little more attractive.

Lol, if Kilkenny is a city, why did it win the Tidy Towns title?!
    #friendlyrivelry

Barbie! wrote: »
    Carlow man born and bred. We'd whip them bitches and be home in time for breakfast.

IMeh pretty much picturing a scene from a hobbit film right now!

Why deos Carloway jersey look like a waterford jersey and a mayo jersey couler ran in the wash to make it??
    Though I fear ye could launch long range attacks with the suger beet throwing skills :/

Lol, if Kilkenny is a city, why did it win the Tidy Towns title?!
    #friendlyrivelry

Kilkenny is not even in the top 5 most populated towns in ireland??

Agghhh ye only love it......:P

Longing after tipp and calling them more attractive is insulting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I see Waterford are trying desperately to be relevant. Ah Bless...

gobo99 wrote: »
    I see Waterford are trying desperately to be relevant. Ah Bless...

Tbf it's Ireland's oldest and most would say best city :D :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Tbf it's Ireland's oldest and most would say best city :D :P

Looks the oldest anyway...
    "most would say best city..." :pac:

Advertisement