Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher council number

Options
  • 05-05-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there any way to get a teacher council number without doing the hdip?

Like if you were to volunteer doing hours, if that is even possible ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

dar100 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there any way to get a teacher council number without doing the hdip?

Like if you were to volunteer doing hours, if that is even possible ?

If you are teaching something in the adult education sector you can register for VEC only but this has to be signed off by the ETB.

Why would you want a Teaching Council number for voluntary hours which is unlikely unless you know a principal willing to let you observe teaching in a classroom? The only access non dipped/pme people get is observation which is very rare or giving a talk with teachers present. Child protection is very important nowadays and that's the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

If you are teaching something in the adult education sector you can register for VEC only but this has to be signed off by the ETB.

Why would you want a Teaching Council number for voluntary hours which is unlikely unless you know a principal willing to let you observe teaching in a classroom? The only access non dipped/pme people get is observation which is very rare or giving a talk with teachers present. Child protection is very important nowadays and that's the way it should be.

I didn't say child protection isn't important, nor did I say I want to teach children? I'm talking about teaching adults, in further ed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You can register in the Further Education category. There was something introduced about needing a teaching qualification but it doesn't seem to be enforced or there's lots of loopholes. I know dozens of people registered under it with just a degree in the past year alone.

VEC Only registration hasn't existed since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

You can register in the Further Education category. There was something introduced about needing a teaching qualification but it doesn't seem to be enforced or there's lots of loopholes. I know dozens of people registered under it with just a degree in the past year alone.

VEC Only registration hasn't existed since 2013.

Interesting, any idea how they went about it, any feedback is helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

dar100 wrote: »
    Interesting, any idea how they went about it, any feedback is helpful

Just contact the TC - it seemed a straightforward process, just needing to send in transcripts from the degree, fill in a form and pay the fee. Most are teching FE so maybe tbe ETB did fill in something for them too, but a few of them are subbing unqualified in primary (current shortage so seem to be getting work) and one covered a maternity in secondary (shortage in that subject).

• Advertisement
Advertisement