Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walsh's Pub - George's st

Options
  • 05-05-2017 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Anyone been in this new/old style establishment. Passed by the other day and noticed it open but didn't have time to have a 'goo' inside. Trying to recall what used to be there....can never recall a pub there but maybe some of the more 'mature desise-boarders' can enlighten me...?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Anyone been in this new/old style establishment. Passed by the other day and noticed it open but didn't have time to have a 'goo' inside. Trying to recall what used to be there....can never recall a pub there but maybe some of the more 'mature desise-boarders' can enlighten me...?

I was in there last week, really nice old world feel about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Drank there in the 80's. Bar was at the back of the pub, was a lovely spot to go for a quiet drink, in all the times that I went there, only ever met 1 other person in the bar.

The owner was nearly blind, he'd feel the money to count what you gave him. Very nice person, who sadly was viciously assaulted in the shop one day during a robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Always wondered what the place was, always remember the dirt of the front of the place

We have a load of these type of refurbished bars in the city now and i do like them, rarely any trouble, good music, nice drinks selection

Hopefully it's does well, must drop in sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Road-Hog wrote: »

It was always a pub i think it was tobacco shop at the front and a pub in the back,it was run by a blind man who was subjected to a vicious assault in the shop a few years ago,i think its now owned by the same people who own T&H Doolans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Have been in there a few times since it reopened. Really like it to be honest. Not much in the way of seating apart from at the bar but the smoking area is about as big as the bar if that's what you're into. Just 4 taps - 2 Guinness, Smithwicks & Harp! Decent selection of gin & whiskey plus usual bottles. Was in there early Wednesday evening and there must have been 15 - 20 people in there, which doesn't sound like much but it's very small in there.

Best of all - NO TVs. There isn't even any music but I think this will change in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Was in here recently....what a smashing little place, brilliant addition to pub selection.was in uisce beatha on quay too, really nice.definitely more of a reason to go down O'Connell street/quays now.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Was in here recently....what a smashing little place, brilliant addition to pub selection.was in uisce beatha on quay too, really nice.definitely more of a reason to go down O'Connell street/quays now.

Tully's and Tom Mahers are good spots too

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tully's and Tom Mahers are good spots too

Yep, fan of tullys too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Oh smashing altogether old chap. Quaffed a few real ales with the chaps. It was so....real.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deiseabu

Sosurface wrote: »
    Oh smashing altogether old chap. Quaffed a few real ales with the chaps. It was so....real.

Imbecile.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

deiseabu wrote: »
    Imbecile.
    Why thats frightful language my dear. Wash ones fingers at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Was in their at the weekend. Enjoyed.

Lovely little bar, and with no craft on tap in their it keeps out alot of the pretentious element around the town

dzilla wrote: »
    Was in their at the weekend. Enjoyed.

Lovely little bar, and with no craft on tap in their it keeps out alot of the pretentious element around the town

I presume you don't support your local brewers and jobs then dzila.

I presume you don't support your local brewers and jobs then dzila.

I love craft beer. Make my own in my little garage aswell as a part time hobby. Used to spend a lot of time on the boards.ie home-brewing forum but more recently am using different forums, but am going off topic . Metal man is the best IPA out there , like to stock up on the tinnies of it in ardkeen they take influence fron the American style IPA which is the best in my opinion , Galway bay and 8 degrees do a really good sour beer at the moment aswell I stocked up on in cupboard.

So you presume wrong.

I love craft beer. Make my own in my little garage aswell as a part time hobby. Used to spend a lot of time on the boards.ie home-brewing forum but more recently am using different forums, but am going off topic . Metal man is the best IPA out there , like to stock up on the tinnies of it in ardkeen they take influence fron the American style IPA which is the best in my opinion , Galway bay and 8 degrees do a really good sour beer at the moment aswell I stocked up on in cupboard.

So you presume wrong.

You love it by sound of things,does that make both of us pretentious then?
    The home brewing is something I've been thinking love to try one day, just no time at moment, fair play anyways.5 for ten on metalman in ardkeen recently.

I think some on here have a funny idea at what pretentious is, some its being from dunmore road, others, being seen buying a couple things in ardkeen, etc ,I don't know where they get such an inferiority complex.the likes of above are hardly D4/brown Thomas, sure aren't we all on the artisan bread here.

You love it by sound of things,does that make both of us pretentious then?
    The home brewing is something I've been thinking love to try one day, just no time at moment, fair play anyways.5 for ten on metalman in ardkeen recently.

I think some on here have a funny idea at what pretentious is, some its being from dunmore road, others, being seen buying a couple things in ardkeen, etc ,I don't know where they get such an inferiority complex.the likes of above are hardly D4/brown Thomas, sure aren't we all on the artisan bread here.

Ah I'm kinda talking about the fellas if your having a good craft beer they'd have to tell you about the time they trekked up some mountain in Thailand and had better beer there that was brewed by some monk and they only make 200 bottles a year mumbo jumbo. Give them a small chalice glass with a passion fruit cider in it and you heighten their sense of self importance.

Can only drink the craft at home 1 or 2 in a night , if I went on a big one in town and had more than 6 of them I'd be in bed with a sore head for 3 days after it.

if I went on a big one in town and had more than 6 of them I'd be in bed with a sore head for 3 days after it.

Snap.

What time does it open at??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What time does it open at??

Was in town today at approx 4 and it was open anyway.

Was in town today at approx 4 and it was open anyway.

Cool I passed there just before 3 and it was closed. Shall head there for a pint in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was in there for a couple on Saturday night. Very impressed. Great service and crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bullpost wrote: »
    Was in there for a couple on Saturday night. Very impressed. Great service and crowd.

Could it be compared to Tom Maher's?

Could it be compared to Tom Maher's?

Nicer IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Terrible.

The 9 euro gin hipsters love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Terrible.

The 9 euro gin hipsters love it.

Yeah but tell us what you really think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement