Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike..

• 05-05-2017 9:36pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thinking about a change lads and want some suggestions on possible bikes. I've had an 07 fireblade for 3 years and I love but I want something different. I want something that is more comfortable for two up as I want to do some trips with the missus, maybe with a bit of luggage. However a lot of these type bikes are very heavy, and I'll still be using it most days to work through a lot of traffic. Also want something good in the wicklow twistys where I do most of my weekend spins. Other thing to consider is I'm a shortarse with a 29" inseam which puts some out of the picture as they are simply too dam high.

Ideally I;d have two bikes - like a supermoto and a tourer - but wondering what might be good options an an all rounder?

Any suggestions?

Comments

What about one of those KTM enduro bikes, can they take passengers? they look some fun

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Honda VFR800 - probably one of the best all rounders ('cept when it comes to valve clearances but that's besides the point...)

Honda VFR800 - probably one of the best all rounders ('cept when it comes to valve clearances but that's besides the point...)

VTEC.. have to be done twice is it to get the measurement? double the cost..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Funny you say KTM I was just looking at this: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/ktm-990-super-duke-megabikes/15266472 - I'd say it's a weapon but just not to sure how comfy it would be for a long trip.

VFR - I rode one a few years ago and really didnt like how the vtec kicked in. Not sure though possibly the new 1200 might be way better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Which your dosh I would be a Yammy Tracer 900 SORTED!!!

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Funny you say KTM I was just looking at this: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/ktm-990-super-duke-megabikes/15266472 - I'd say it's a weapon but just not to sure how comfy it would be for a long trip.

VFR - I rode one a few years ago and really didnt like how the vtec kicked in. Not sure though possibly the new 1200 might be way better

Thats nice but I was thinking more the ones that look like mx bikes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was originally thinking of a BMW K1200S but I hear they are pretty heavy - great on motorways etc but not so much traffic and twistys. Still nice bikes and a few on donedeal. Would think about a Multistrada but they are expensive, or possibly a hyperstrada (from the uk).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Vstrom 1000 for 2 up. Well priced around with full luggage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

+1 on the tracer. I'd suggest this for every what bike thread anyway cos I love it but it sounds like it would tick all the boxes here.

Vfr is a good bike and the x runner version suggested by goose is a very good bike. Neither will be as lively as your blade or the tracer though.

Test rode both by the way.

I think with the ktms and multistradas you've got more weight and a lot more height. Youre experienced so can handle it, not a big deal but it's always nice to have a light bike with reasonable height.

A very under rated bike is the Kwacker Versys 1000.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

K5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Have an 06 superduke myself. Love it but it is a fúcking pig sometimes:pac:
    Heavy enough bike and slightly tall, however, I'm 5ft 8" and female but I can sit comfortable on it with toes touching the ground. If there's one thing I've always wanted to change on it, it's the position of the back brake pedal, I just never got around to it. It could be that my feet are small but it just seems a real stretch to reach for me anyway.

I would definitely recommend though. Very fun to ride. Mine has the full akra system so it's mega loud but that's no harm either.

As regards comfort, I find it very comfy, however, I ride my bike everyday, no car so my idea of "comfort" would probably be different to most people - if it's all you're used to, you don't know any different.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    K5

Mate , thats a 12 year old bike at this stage. who the hell would buy one of them now no matter how good

Mate , thats a 12 year old bike at this stage. who the hell would buy one of them now no matter how good

Half the Biker.ie forum apparently....

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Half the Biker.ie forum apparently....

So you just said it because its the cool thing to say?

They know everything, or in reality absolutely nothing. I wouldnt swap my K7 for a K5 if you paid me 2 grand, I dunno what they are on about tbh. Its newer because its better. Biker.ie is full of lads who cant afford to spend more than 4k on a bike, nothing wrong with that but it limits their opinions and what questions to ask.

You ask what 2012-2015 bike to buy with 8k on there and are told to buy a near 20 year old bike and change the forks haha

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

12 years old? Its not a bloody greyhound, its not gonna get frail and forgetful. A well looked after 12 year old bike is still very reliable. My aul fella commutes 400 miles a week on a 99 'Busa and its never let him down.

CaptainR wrote: »
    12 years old? Its not a bloody greyhound, its not gonna get frail and forgetful. A well looked after 12 year old bike is still very reliable. My aul fella commutes 400 miles a week on a 99 'Busa and its never let him down.

Doesn't matter what your old lad had. This guy has had an 07 fireblade for 3 years, i.e he wants a newish bike (over 2010) not some 15 year old rat trap

It's not always about reliability, sometimes people just want something newer and more shiny. Who gives a **** about reliability if you capable of fixing it yourself or can pay to have it done?

Don't mean to be bent but that's the way it is, some people have money to spend and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Tracer or Tiger1050 sport.
    You can get lowering links if you feel the need.

Would not want to go much older you are right - but why would I want a K5 when I have a Fireblade now and looking for something different?

Will take a look at the ones suggested thanks lads. Tracer and Versys would not really excite me much though. Want something a bit special. KTM could be a great option - Erica why exactly is it a pig? My old 749 was a bit of a pig at times and its funny I almost miss it - gave it a bit of character.

If I could afford it I'd have 2 bikes. I'd get something like a Hypermotard and then a more relaxed tourer for longer spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Best thing to do is visit the showrooms like BW etc, throw your leg over a few new and secondhand bikes and then maybe ask a forum for its opinion when you've narrowed down the field.

I'm 6'1'' so I'm not going to suggest anything with a low seat height, because its never something I've had to consider (in fact I go the opposite direct and look for taller bikes).

Best of luck with your hunt, sorry I can't be more helpful then suggesting you try on a few for size in the showrooms but its where I'd start. Another plus for the showrooms, esp one like Bikeworld is if you visit on a busy Saturday you'll almost certainly getting chatting to other bikers and you'll get their opinions on what they're riding or what they've rode on in the past and not someone on a forum with no experience and just running with what the cool kids say.

The K5 suggestion is hilarious.

• Advertisement

You realise the K5 suggestion was a joke?

Seems to have gone over everyone's heads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Keep the blade and get something for touring trips??

Had a gsxr750 and a vfr800 together before and was the perfect combination, until I wrote the vfr off that is haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

The_Chap wrote: »
    Keep the blade and get something for touring trips??

Had a gsxr750 and a vfr800 together before and was the perfect combination, until I wrote the vfr off that is haha

Keep the blade. Add the Dyna.

Spyder Can am is different and you would look well on it Zascar.....:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Spyder Can am is different and you would look well on it Zascar.....:pac::pac:

:eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Keep the blade and pick up an early pan for the 2 up rides

Something like this https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-pan-european-st1100-abs-model-price-drop-/15130803

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

KTM could be a great option - Erica why exactly is it a pig? My old 749 was a bit of a pig at times and its funny I almost miss it - gave it a bit of character.

Ah probably a bit like your 749, there's just something I can't put into words that makes me describe it as a pig but, like you say yourself, lots of character.
    It's not a bad bike but just needs to be tamed a bit. I always find with the superduke, it feels best when you're going at a nice steady pace, when I'm down in the low revs while filtering and the like, it just doesn't like it compared to other bikes I've had (but they were smaller engines so that would have had a lot to do with it).
    If you could get one for a test drive I'd say you'd love it, friends of mine who have taken mine for a spin have tried to convince me to sell it.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that I have found KTM not easy to deal with and parts can be expensive. I've had a bit of hassle with them, delays getting parts and the like. Certainly more difficult than dealing with Honda but people may say the same about Ducati and Triumph etc.

My experience with my superduke would be that it's definitely suitable for longer spins. It feels very comfortable high up in the gears spinning along taking in the scenery but it's also a beast for the speed if you fancy it.

One piece of advice I'd give is to keep the calipers serviced and well looked after because they can be really problematic if not looked after properly. That's my experience anyway and I've had it about 4 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I was going to suggest the Tracer.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/october/mcn-awards-2015-best-all-rounder/

Im not sure if an ''all rounder'' truly exists. Alot come close but IMO 2 bikes is the way to go if the budget and space can stretch. I have my NC750 mile muncher for commuting and recently picked up a blackbird for the good sunny days to break the monotony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

What about a late model Suzuki GSX1250GT? Brilliant all rounder, can hoon with the best of them and cross continents 2-up with ease;

SUZUKI-_GSX1250_FA-_ST-_SEA-_Touring-6488_4.jpgfree upload picturescertificity.com

• Advertisement

Yeah you are prob right there is no perfect all rounder bike. In reality I'm not sure how many big trips I'd really do with the missus. Would be nice to have the option but might be silly to buy a bike for it if I only every do one. Something that is comfy for a day long spin might be enough, or I could strap some luggage on the back to any bike really. Tracer looks great but out of budget.

A blackbird might be a good bet. I don't like the look of them much but still they are great bikes. What about a Busa? Any use with a pillion? I remember sitting on one and surprised by how low and comfy they were. Still might be big and heavy.

I'll definitely go around a few shops and see what I can find.

Advertisement