Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike..

2»

Comments

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah you are prob right there is no perfect all rounder bike. In reality I'm not sure how many big trips I'd really do with the missus. Would be nice to have the option but might be silly to buy a bike for it if I only every do one. Something that is comfy for a day long spin might be enough, or I could strap some luggage on the back to any bike really. Tracer looks great but out of budget.

A blackbird might be a good bet. I don't like the look of them much but still they are great bikes. What about a Busa? Any use with a pillion? I remember sitting on one and surprised by how low and comfy they were. Still might be big and heavy.

I'll definitely go around a few shops and see what I can find.

If you look at how often you will bring her one the back of it , realistically it will probably it be not very often . Buy the bike for yourself and think about a pillion after , a sportsbike is probably it the worst for carrying passengers so your not starting from a high base. Anything you buy diff will be an improvement on it in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Mate , thats a 12 year old bike at this stage. who the hell would buy one of them now no matter how good

Why wouldn't you? It's a better pure road bike than almost all of the newer litre sportsbikes. It might not be what the OP wants but to suggest nobody should want one is a bit special.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Yeah you are prob right there is no perfect all rounder bike. In reality I'm not sure how many big trips I'd really do with the missus. Would be nice to have the option but might be silly to buy a bike for it if I only every do one. Something that is comfy for a day long spin might be enough, or I could strap some luggage on the back to any bike really. Tracer looks great but out of budget.

A blackbird might be a good bet. I don't like the look of them much but still they are great bikes. What about a Busa? Any use with a pillion? I remember sitting on one and surprised by how low and comfy they were. Still might be big and heavy.

I'll definitely go around a few shops and see what I can find.

As I mentioned already my dad has a hayabusa, I think they're around the 250kg mark, the original model anyway. They're no sport bike but a lot lighter than a tourer or cruiser.

If you are looking for a very cheap sport tourer, an older CBR1000F isn't bad. I know someone who brought their wife around France and it didn't miss a beat and was comfy for all.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Did you consider getting your wife a bike of her own?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes that is definitely under consideration - however she's only just begun the car licence application so will be quite a while. Mainly though, we sometimes go cycling together and she's just so dam slow I refuse to go any more. Not sure she'd be much different with a motor haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I wouldn't trust my missus on a bike. I gave her the scooter keys in Thailand and the thing was on the deck before you can say "cover the brakes!".

But mainly i would worry loads; I can empathise with any friends or family that worry about me when I think about it that way.

So do you have a top 5 list yet Zascar?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I'd really worry about that too. Maybe something for a few years but not soon anyway.

In terms of bikes just not sure yet, still loads of ideas going around my head. Right now looking at Ducati's and KTM's. I'd really love a Multistrada to be honest - ticks a lot of boxes and from what I read they seem to be fantastic - but they are big, and tall. Going to go test one and see, you can get a lower seat and it might be ok. Hyperstrada loks really cool too. More practical version of the Hypermotard which I really love. I'd have to go to the UK for one of those but I think there is an opportunity to get a better deal in the UK - Sterling is low and much better/bigger selection.

Still like the KTM's also - the Superduke 990 etc, few of them around. I hear they are savage craic to ride.

That's my thinking for now anyway - it may change but I think I want to do something in the next month or two. Might stick the blade up for sale and then see what I have to play with. Any guesses what a 2008 (RR&) in HRC Colours, with 15,000km on the clock be worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Take a trip up to McCallens, they have a hell of alot of bikes under one roof. You will deffo have a good idea about size and style leaving there, I hear they are a little stricter on test rides nowadays but if you ring ahead there be no probs.

They do KTM, Kawasaki, Triumph and then have a good selection of used bikes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Take a trip up to McCallens, they have a hell of alot of bikes under one roof. You will deffo have a good idea about size and style leaving there, I hear they are a little stricter on test rides nowadays but if you ring ahead there be no probs.

They do KTM, Kawasaki, Triumph and then have a good selection of used bikes too.

Theres ways around that.;)

20170209_121804_zpsfjpqoms2.jpg

20170209_151753_zpsvji7wtbg.jpg

I had the that bike out aswell for an hour, stupid o clock fast but just something about it I didnt gel with. Found the engine to be very harsh and vibey but maybe because I am used to the i4 not a twin, really nice bike all the same.

• Advertisement

Savage bike - would love one. Not cheap though, 990's are way more reasonable. Will have to take a spin up and see

Not very versatile either TBH, you can get a "Touring" version lol which adds soft luggage and hand gaurds but its a joke really (touring option not the bike). I think a nice sports tourer will suit you zascar, the days of sloppy ST are long gone they are quick as **** now and can do it all. The vast majority of people would not have the skill or ability to push them to their limits....great all round choice Sports Tourers.

I think a newer shape Tiger 1050 sport would be right up your ally, Noel who goes on the spins has one and its one of the best all round bikes I have ever been on.

[URL="[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/ruvdzl.jpg[/IMG]"]ruvdzl.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I had the that bike out aswell for an hour, stupid o clock fast but just something about it I didnt gel with. Found the engine to be very harsh and vibey but maybe because I am used to the i4 not a twin, really nice bike all the same.

I liked the engine torque and power delivery,but Im tall and I was the wind deflector.
    The day I took it out was cold and windy and my head was nearly getting snapped back from the wind bashing me around.

The GT version has better screen and wind protection.

20170209_123302_zpszn5ukvhh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yes that is definitely under consideration - however she's only just begun the car licence application so will be quite a while. Mainly though, we sometimes go cycling together and she's just so dam slow I refuse to go any more. Not sure she'd be much different with a motor haha

It's funny, one of my friends learned to ride about a year ago and beforehand I thought for sure she just wouldn't take to it at all but she really surprised me and was moved from a 125 to a 600 on the first day of her IBT because the trainer was so impressed with her.

Has your gf/wife ever been on a bike on her own at all?
    My friend hadn't, she had never even sat on a bike before the first day of her IBT.
    Still like the KTM's also - the Superduke 990 etc, few of them around. I hear they are savage craic to ride.

They are:cool: and there does seem to be a lot of them around.

She's been on the back of the blade a good bit, she loves it. Wants to go faster even when I give it stick. But I'm not sure I'd want to encourage her to go fast. I'd still be very worried - she's dangerous enough on the pushbike as it is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

get her a zzr 1400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭flatty

erica74 wrote: »

It's funny, one of my friends learned to ride about a year ago and beforehand I thought for sure she just wouldn't take to it at all but she really surprised me and was moved from a 125 to a 600 on the first day of her IBT because the trainer was so impressed with her.

My friend hadn't, she had never even sat on a bike before the first day of her IBT.

What about an xdiavel?
    As an aside, I found a 600 far easier to ride than a 125 when I was learning fairly recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭flatty

erica74 wrote: »

What about an xdiavel?
    As an aside, I found a 600 far easier to ride than a 125 when I was learning fairly recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Blackbird... you can pick up them up handy for sale... I'm a 30" leg and find the "bird" great for two up touring with full luggage..meself and the auld doll have traveled europe over the last six years doing almost 70,000k and never had a problem, also use it just about town, clutch is a wee bit heavy but no worries about weight or height in traffic, with the Blackbird you can scratch-commute and tour easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thinking about a change lads and want some suggestions on possible bikes. I've had an 07 fireblade for 3 years and I love but I want something different. I want something that is more comfortable for two up as I want to do some trips with the missus, maybe with a bit of luggage. However a lot of these type bikes are very heavy, and I'll still be using it most days to work through a lot of traffic. Also want something good in the wicklow twistys where I do most of my weekend spins. Other thing to consider is I'm a shortarse with a 29" inseam which puts some out of the picture as they are simply too dam high.

Ideally I;d have two bikes - like a supermoto and a tourer - but wondering what might be good options an an all rounder?

Any suggestions?
    There is one bike that ticks all the boxes. A ducati multistrada. You'll need to check seat heights, probably a lower saddle too, but the machine ticks all the above boxes imho.
    If you wanted 2 bikes, a hypermotard and a cheap st1100 for touring. Obviously you get the expense of running 2 bikes, but it's doable.

• Advertisement

Yeah you are right - I have been looking at the Multistrada's and they get fantastic reviews, people seem to really love them. I'd love another Ducati too. The only problem is they are very big bikes - a very high seat and not light either. I'd be on my toes basically. I believe you can get a seat that lowers it an inch - but due tot he electronic suspension you can't lower it that way. Really I need to go and test ride one and see. Hyperstrada is definitely more manageable and also ticks a lot of boxes - zero in Ireland that I have seen though.

The other option as you say is get two bikes. I would get something like this Ktm 990 Superduke and then have some cash left over to get a tourer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Does the super duke not pose the same problems as the multistrada though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

superduke is a surprisingly small bike - wouldnt have thought it would be that great 2up

It's not quite as tall and heavy so should be a little more manageable, there are a few around so I need to go and test ride and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

It's not quite as tall and heavy so should be a little more manageable, there are a few around so I need to go and test ride and see.

What height are you? I'm 5ft 8" and my toes are comfortably on the ground. I have to give my leg a good swing to get it over the bike though:D
    I don't find the superduke that heavy. A friend of mine has a gixxer and that is bloody heavy by comparison (to me anyway and I would consider myself to have quite good upper body strength).
    Definitely sit on one to decide for yourself on the height/weight concern.

Advertisement