Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray sea front railings

Options
  • 06-05-2017 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Are they restoring the railings. I thought they are using a lot of scaffolding. Thought they could save money by using less and moving it along as they progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They are sandblasting and repainting the railings.

Why are you worried about scaffolding, its only scaffolding and not that expensive.

These jobs are normally tendered out so the price is set no matter what why they do the scaffolding.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I would absolutely love to see the railings repainted in the old sky blue colour.
    I've always hated the dark blue.
    Does anybody know which colour it'll be repainted?

They're going that dark blue colour :/

I also can't understand why they didn't do 30 metres at a time, with the scaff. Makes the place look dreadful coming into summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I have to say I vastly prefer the new dark blue/dark orange colour scheme, always thought the old sky blue/light orange was a bit tacky looking. BTW there's an nice face-sized hole in the tarpaulin covering the section they are currently working on, and I've yet to see anyone resist the urge to peer in for a look on thier way past -it's like a magnet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I'm sure the engineers know what they are doing and doing it in the most cost effective way.

Maybe if they kept having to move scaffolding they'd have had to employ scaffolders for many more days.

As for the colours, the sky blue and yellow were only used from the fifties or sixties. The dark colours are most similar to original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

murpho999 wrote: »
    They are sandblasting and repainting the railings.

Why are you worried about scaffolding, its only scaffolding and not that expensive.

These jobs are normally tendered out so the price is set no matter what why they do the scaffolding.
    I'm worried about the scaffolding because of over spend on projects byou councils which is my tax money. Also it's an eyesore and I hope it's gone by the airshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

vince wrote: »
    I'm worried about the scaffolding because of over spend on projects byou councils which is my tax money. Also it's an eyesore and I hope it's gone by the airshow.
    They are actually shot blasting the railings taking them back to bare metal and re-priming and painting them, something that should have been done in the past instead of wasting money on a simple cosmetic repainting job which will need redoing in a couple of years time, and ultimately possibly end up costing more. Looks to me like they're actually doing something right for a change.

zoobizoo wrote: »

As for the colours, the sky blue and yellow were only used from the fifties or sixties. The dark colours are most similar to original

Who decides which colour to paint them? A small handful of Wicklow County Council officials?

Perhaps the people of Bray should decide by some sort of simple vote.

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Who decides which colour to paint them? A small handful of Wicklow County Council officials?

Perhaps the people of Bray should decide by some sort of simple vote.

How would that work? Who would manage it? Who'd pay for it? Could we pick any colours we like?

How would that work? Who would manage it? Who'd pay for it? Could we pick any colours we like?

I'm not sure how it would work exactly but here are a couple of simple examples.

The local radio station could run a text poll like the ones Joe Duffy runs.
    Vote 1 for old colour scheme or vote 2 for the present colour scheme.
    Only those people who are interested would bother voting.

Or set up a boards.ie or FB poll.

These polls would cost next to nothing and would promote local involvement.
    Surely better than a tiny selection of council officials deciding the colour scheme of our seafront railings?

• Advertisement

vince wrote: »

Ok, I didn't realise you were paying for the painting. Thanks for that.

I still don't see scaffolding as a major cost.

I heard it's a 4 week project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Zebbedee wrote:
    The local radio station could run a text poll like the ones Joe Duffy runs. Vote 1 for old colour scheme or vote 2 for the present colour scheme. Only those people who are interested would bother voting.

It could end up like the voted name of boaty mcboatface!! Which was hilarious but imagine we ended up luminous green railings... I must admit I prefer the lighter blue but I also preferred the old Christmas coloured lights in the main street and the similar coloured lights, festoon I think they are called, hanging along the prom. I'm fairly sure I'm in the minority there! I think I'm just nostalgic though.

I'm not sure how it would work exactly but here are a couple of simple examples.

Vote 1 for old colour scheme or vote 2 for the present colour scheme.
    Only those people who are interested would bother voting.

Or set up a boards.ie or FB poll.

These polls would cost next to nothing and would promote local involvement.
    Surely better than a tiny selection of council officials deciding the colour scheme of our seafront railings?

Well, they chose the colour scheme that is there and I'm happy with it.

The light blue and yellow are a throwback to a tacky Kiss-Me-Quick era and the town has moved on from that.

Online or radio polls are skewed because the happy majority don't tend to participate.

Well, they chose the colour scheme that is there and I'm happy with it.

The light blue and yellow are a throwback to a tacky Kiss-Me-Quick era and the town has moved on from that.

Online or radio polls are skewed because the happy majority don't tend to participate.

That is your opinion which you are absolutely entitled to and one which I respect.

However, I have an entirely different opinion.
    I found the old colour scheme bright and cheerful.
    I find the present colour scheme dark and broody.

Perhaps the forum moderators could set up some sort of forum poll.
    I don't know the protocol for this or even if Wicklow County Council would pay it any attention.
    If it transpires that the majority of people prefer the present scheme of dark blue and dark orange over the last scheme of bright blue and bright orange then I'd respect that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That is your opinion which you are absolutely entitled to and one which I respect.

However, I have an entirely different opinion.
    I found the old colour scheme bright and cheerful.
    I find the present colour scheme dark and broody.

Perhaps the forum moderators could set up some sort of forum poll.
    I don't know the protocol for this or even if Wicklow County Council would pay it any attention.
    If it transpires that the majority of people prefer the present scheme of dark blue and dark orange over the last scheme of bright blue and bright orange then I'd respect that too.

I doubt Wicklow County Council would pay it any attention.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I doubt Wicklow County Council would pay it any attention.

I'd be very surprised if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd be very surprised if they did.

Agreed. So I don't see the point of a poll here at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The new replacement seat backs which are almost all in place along the promenade are already painted the new darker blue to match the railings; if the railings were to be repainted in pale blue surely they'd need to be repainted to match? Otherwise the prom would just be a mishmash of different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

East Coast has some of the lowest audience reach of a local station in the entire country and its even lower in areas with the full range of Dublin stations available (e.g. Bray). So that won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

B0jangles wrote: »
    The new replacement seat backs which are almost all in place along the promenade are already painted the new darker blue to match the railings; if the railings were to be repainted in pale blue surely they'd need to be repainted to match? Otherwise the prom would just be a mishmash of different colours.

Are they putting back the timber seating too?

And this was the only colour - cheerful not sombre.

Seafront.jpg

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Are they putting back the timber seating too?

No sign of any work suggesting the return of the wooden seating, but the concrete surface of the existing seats has been repaired for the full length of the prom now. It'd be lovely if they could replace the old lamp stands that are still on a couple of of the steps up to the prom - I think at least one of them is in good enough nick to have a mould taken from it.

edit: the ones you can see in this photo:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000325078

(If you haven't already seen them, its well worth having a look at the nli.ie website for old photos of Bray - they've really interesting and beautiful :))

Del.Monte wrote: »

And this was the only colour - cheerful not sombre.

Cheerful but cheap and tacky looking IMO.

Can't see them ever going back to that colour scheme.

In relation to the lamps, I think there was talk of it recently.

When they finish the railings they could continue to improve the prom by removing the ghastly lighting and the gun emplacements - will never happen though.

shelter.jpg

And then they could reinstate the Chairlift and implement a proper plan for the preservation of Bray Head.........

I'd happily see those shelters gone. Not sure what's stopping them.

A business person looked into the chairlift but insurance was prohibitive.

Ideally, visionaries would have been voted onto the council rather than people with no idea about architecture and heritage.

Still can't understand how they allowed that Smyths building to be erected...

I actually like the lighting, looks nice. Not everything has to be Victorian looking.

Shelters should go to, look bad and people just drink in them and other anti social behaviour stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I looked through the coverings on the scaffolding on the north end of the prom yesterday and it certainly looks like they are going with the sky blue colour.
    (Assuming that this was not primer/undercoat that I was looking at)

murpho999 wrote: »
    I actually like the lighting, looks nice. Not everything has to be Victorian looking.

Shelters should go to, look bad and people just drink in them and other anti social behaviour stuff.

I disagree, why not do the thing properly instead of a hodgepodge of styles with some of the worst examples of modern design possible.

I'm not a fan of the lights either, while I don't believe everything has to be 100% victorian-looking, there should be some kind of coherent overall aesthetic. Giving people a subliminal reminder to the last time they were at the dentists is just mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Whatever about the thoughts on the style of the lights, I find it infuriating that whoever is in charge of maintenance decided that the best way of identifying each light is to nail a big "Woodies" €1 number plaque at eye height onto each of them.

What an idiotic and thoughtless thing to do, complete lack of pride in the amenity.

541c4097-469d-4261-9b78-b4ce8495ce9c_l.jpeg

• Advertisement

First completed section is revealed!

LIfaQAb.jpg

Advertisement