Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray sea front railings

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The beach is so different to when I lived in Bray that it's quite mind blowing! Where those weeds are growing would have been a 20ft drop into the sea back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think the railing colours look very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think the railing colours look very good.
    Looks great. I think that colour looks smart and much better than the old light blue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Think the new railing colour looks great and look forward to the whole thing being finished.

Would be great too if they put the metal seatbacks on the wall down that end of the beach too. The ones on the south end look the business and the far end looks very bare with just the plain cement finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Isn't this the same colour as they've been painted all along in recent times? The old pale blue colour disappeared a few years ago IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Alun wrote: »
    Isn't this the same colour as they've been painted all along in recent times? The old pale blue colour disappeared a few years ago IIRC.

When you see it in person, it's somewhere in between the recent dark colour and the older bright blue. A pretty good compromise!

When you see it in person, it's somewhere in between the recent dark colour and the older bright blue. A pretty good compromise!
    Ah, OK, it looked the same to me on the photo. I just hope they've done a really thorough job with the shotblasting and preparation work (anti-rust treatment, primer etc.) before putting on the final coat, and that it lasts a good few years.

Looks lighter than the dark navy colour that was there before but darker than the older colour.

A good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup looks ever so slightly lighter, yet to see in person but looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. It's a bit lighter than the dark blue from before.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Surely better than a tiny selection of council officials deciding the colour scheme of our seafront railings?

Looks like I'll have to eat my own words.
    I quite like the new colour.
    Not as much as I liked the sky blue but it's a step in the right direction.
    Well done Wicklow County Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I was just down there again and I found a flake of the dark blue paint so I went and brought it down to the newly painted section to compare the two:

XV9zo76.jpg

There's even a peep of the light blue in there as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

This was taken circa 1980/81;

This was taken circa 1980/81;
    I do vaguely remember the paint fading all right.
    I'm not sure if it faded to such a light shade of blue though, could be the pigments fading in the photograph ink perhaps.
    Thanks for posting nonetheless.
    It shows the importance of regular maintenance.

The work seems to have halted.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

I had a look at the completed work towards the harbour side.
    I hate to be negative, but the work is frankly..dreadful.
    There are missed spots, solidified drips hanging on the underside (from using too much paint)
    The line between the railing and the "ball" on top is smudged and crossed over.
    The new paint is already peeling due to the surface not being primed correctly.
    Drips on the ground.

I can only hope the work has halted while they replace the contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was thinking that aswell, complete amateur hour, some really dodgy concrete pouring down there aswell, those built in seats and some blank grey walls that look totally out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The work seems to have halted.

Holidays - most construction / trades workers take two weeks holiday between late July & late August. This year many sites started their holidays just before the Bank holiday weekend and return on Monday / Tuesday next.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Holidays - most construction / trades workers take two weeks holiday between late July & late August. This year many sites started their holidays just before the Bank holiday weekend and return on Monday / Tuesday next.

I think the work is stopped longer than that.

It seems to have taken an incredibly long time to do a small section of the railings. I didn't see them working on it but it must have been a small number of crew. At that rate of progression it'll be 2019 before its finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

It seems to have taken an incredibly long time to do a small section of the railings. I didn't see them working on it but it must have been a small number of crew. At that rate of progression it'll be 2019 before its finished!

At this rate it'll be like the Golden Gate Bridge in SF. ie. Its perpetually being repainted. It takes so long to repaint that by the time they get to the end of the bridge its time to start repainting the other end again.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I had a look at the completed work towards the harbour side.
    I hate to be negative, but the work is frankly..dreadful.
    There are missed spots, solidified drips hanging on the underside (from using too much paint)
    The line between the railing and the "ball" on top is smudged and crossed over.
    The new paint is already peeling due to the surface not being primed correctly.
    Drips on the ground.

I can only hope the work has halted while they replace the contractor.

Was on the prom for a walk earlier and decided to inspect the work up close. You're right, it's absolutely appalling. Really shoddy workmanship. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Has this project come to and end.

There was a small team painting the railings yesterday but it was nowhere near as organised as the previous work - no tent for sandblasting or anything, just 4 men in overalls with paintcans sitting on the ground painting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

B0jangles wrote: »
    There was a small team painting the railings yesterday but it was nowhere near as organised as the previous work - no tent for sandblasting or anything, just 4 men in overalls with paintcans sitting on the ground painting away.

Today as well. Their plastic sheet they were sitting on blew against the freshly painted railings at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I saw the four men also - looked like they were touching up previously painted railings. And the van with the name of the contractors -
    from Northern Ireland - on it.

How/Where can we find out how much this project has cost so far, and the projected final cost?

If it's the NI crowd, then it's the same ones who were doing it before the 'break'.

I've no inside information or anything, but I suspect that the original contractor might have massively underestimated how long it would take to clean off and repaint the railings, so we're going to be left with them half done - the quick-fix job of the last few days has bridged the gap between the cleaned and repainted section and the completely untouched section, so it all looks 'ok' if you don't look too closely.

The works are nearly completed now.
    The new contractors have almost joined up to where the last ones finished off.
    I'd say it's a lot less back breaking work too due to the scaffolding being higher and the available work space heightened.
    I like the colours too as the blue is a few shades lighter.
    Well done to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement