Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting a stock

Options
  • 06-05-2017 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

anyone ever painted a synthetic rifle stock?if so what did you use for primer,basecoat,and protective top coat,or can it be even done successfully?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

sniperman wrote: »
    anyone ever painted a synthetic rifle stock?if so what did you use for primer,basecoat,and protective top coat,or can it be even done successfully?

Synthetic..... do you mean plastic or rubbery like a Hogue stock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Synthetic..... do you mean plastic or rubbery like a Hogue stock ?

hi,its on my .22lr 455,seems solid,so id say its plastic,a bit sick of the black look.

sniperman wrote: »
    hi,its on my .22lr 455,seems solid,so id say its plastic,a bit sick of the black look.

Cheapest way would be to sand it with 220 Grit sand paper it gives it some sort or a key for paint to stick to.

Best way is if you know some one with a shot blaster and use aluminium Oxide 80/120 grit, dont use glass as it tends to polish the surface

Make sure your surface is Grease and oil free as paint wont stick to that. Dont leave acetone near your stock... it will eat it.

Paints in B&Q/outdoor shops tend to be very hard and chip/flake easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dead shot

I got a timber stock for a cz done by hobby aquagraphics in Cork...great job and a great choice of design....got it couriered each way for 12 euro. Have a look at their website.

dead shot wrote: »
    I got a timber stock for a cz done by hobby aquagraphics in Cork...great job and a great choice of design....got it couriered each way for 12 euro. Have a look at their website.

All there stuff is for sale on done deal...... and there not an RFD.... Id be very weary as they have had hassle in the past doing firearms parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dead shot

I just sent the stock and had no problems had it back in a week...didn't know they were selling that part of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks lads,gonna have a go at it myself,will post pics of outcome,if not a complete mess

Cant remember if it was here on another Irish shooter type forum but a guty redid his shotgun and used rattle can paint.

If I remember correctly he did a fair bit of prep work for it but it still chipped and flaked off pretty easy

• Advertisement
Advertisement