Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account for child

Options
  • 06-05-2017 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has setup an account for their newborn, and where did ye do it? Bank, Post Office, Credit Union, etc....which is the best for them?

We are going to try, as much as we can afford, to put some of the Child Benefit in his account, for his education...

Thanks folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Banks charge too much and the free banking options need thousands to be deposited monthly. I'd say post office is probably best.

Butvi think there's a minimum age, 13 something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭chases0102

Yeah, forgot about that re banks...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AirGuitarist

I set up an account in Ulster Bank recently for the baby, pretty handy and no monthly/annual fees charged. I also set up a monthly direct debit into the post office, not as straightforward but not too bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Banks do regular savings options for this kind of savings account, ie where you're putting in 'small' amounts every month. Anything from €10/20 up. Doesn't have to be large sums. Afaik AIB have the best AER of the banks but that's about 2%.

Worth looking at your local credit union and An Post as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

If you go CU, which can be done with birth certificate and your id (I think), make sure the parents can sign to take money out, it's a tick on the form. Once your child is 7 I think they can with draw the money themselves so hide the book :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Regular savings account with EBS here, we can sign to withdraw money. Children's allowance gets paid directly into it. We set it up a few months after she was born. Works fine for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We are just going to set up a savings account in our own names. Our wee man has got lots of money as presents from generous friends and family, but I've heard that the first child gets lots of presents and people aren't so bothered about subsequent children, so we are just going to create a general savings account that we can split between all our future children, rather than setting it up in his name.

We also may want to have proof of extra "savings" when we try to get mortgage approval for a family home in a few years time, even if we don't touch it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I set accounts up in the Credit Union for my 4.
    It seemed to be the best option at the time.

Advertisement