Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 5

• 06-05-2017 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm taking my finger off a 3T purchase so, to wait for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Spocker wrote: »
    I'm taking my finger off a 3T purchase so, to wait for this

Mmmm this or an S8 im upgrading from a Vodafone smart ultra 6.

Love the look of the S8 but heard the one plus 5 with look.similar for a lower price hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

No IP rating is a disappointment.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd be dubious enough anyway the more I look at it. The photo looks like a OnePlus 3 doctored to show a dual lens on the back.

I'm mad to upgrade and as I use my phone out cycling, the waterproofing would be ideal. I have a OP2 and I'm always worried when we have rain.

The leaks are picking up steam now so I'd say we aren't far away from an official press release. It's this or a Note 7 for me, if I can get my hands on one.

• Advertisement

I cant see the OP5 being under 500 quid for what they are offering. Its still a great price though if the rumored specs are correct. Fingers crossed for an IP rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would love to see a 5000 mah battery, that would certainly blow the other companies out of the water.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Only thing im hoping for is a substantial improvement in camera performance. The only reason I moved on from oneplus after the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Too similar to the 3 to warrant an upgrade?
    Or am I being pedantic? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Isn't 6GB of RAM in a phone complete overkill. The camera and battery is what sell phones.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I've never expericenced any burn in on the OP3 for sure!
    Suppossed to be a 3000mAh battery again in this one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

Screen too. I'd be slightly concerned about going from a Samsung display to this.

What are OnePlus screens (IPS isn't it?) like for burn in? That's the only disadvantage of the Samsung one, as nice as it is my S7 edge is destroyed with Android Auto burn.

I don't have any burn in and I use Android Auto for 2 hours per day. Had the 3T since a week after it was released. I came from an S5 and the screens are very similar. 3T is slightly too blue but I got used to that quickly and only remember it now when turning off night mode in the morning.

I never had burn in with the S5 either and my wife still uses it. I didn't use Android auto at the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If there's anything to this then it'll be time to get the bluetooth headphones out.

raja.jpg

Or might just be back on top of the phone ;)

Usb C is a better connector.
    Plus you'll get an adaptor anyway.
    No problemo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Cracked my moto x play so might go for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Usb C is a better connector.
    Plus you'll get an adaptor anyway.
    No problemo :D

He means the removal of headphone slot ...

Its definitely a good thing that OnePlus will be working directly with DxOMark to improve their camera. HTC identified their camera as a weak point and since then have produced the 3 best mobile cameras (10, Pixel, U11).

Only concerning thing is rumours of the OP5 being $650. People won't overlook weaknesses if its near flagship price.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    He means the removal of headphone slot ...

Yeah, I was too. I meant you'd get a headphone adaptor for the usb c slot :)

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIyNFgxMjI0/z/DDMAAOSwDmBY3RNz/$_58.PNG

Look, I know it's replacing 2 ports with one and a lot of people won't like it, which I completely understand.
    I'm just saying that all your headphones don't immediately become obsolete either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yeah, I was too. I meant you'd get a headphone adaptor for the usb c slot :)

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIyNFgxMjI0/z/DDMAAOSwDmBY3RNz/$_58.PNG

Look, I know it's replacing 2 ports with one and a lot of people won't like it, which I completely understand.
    I'm just saying that all your headphones don't immediately become obsolete either :)

Thanks for for the information, didn't know you could get an adapter like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have a phone without a headphone jack, came with adapter. Said is lost, havent bothered replacing it. BT buds and cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yeah but you'll most likely get an adapter, like HTC have done.

Personally I don't care as I can't understand in this day and age why people have headphones that need to be plugged in. Same goes for wanting mad good speakers on a phone. Bluetooth​, people.

Decreased battery life, people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Decreased battery life, people.

its nominal, the increase, the headphones are amplified by battery in bluetooth, by the phone in wired

I get the reasons for both sides in terms using bt as I own some super expensive bt headphones.

But the sole reason for removing the port is to make phones Skinnier.

I've enough of phones going Skinnier they don't need to be Skinnier they need bigger batteries. So removing the port isn't necessary tbh

I get the reasons for both sides in terms using bt as I own some super expensive bt headphones.

I've enough of phones going Skinnier they don't need to be Skinnier they need bigger batteries. So removing the port isn't necessary tbh

It's nothing to do with making the phone thinner. My Moto Z was 5mm thin, so I guess an argument could be made for that device, but not for any other ones that have been released.

In the case of Apple, it's purely to make money and charge a royalty on every device that connects to the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

Yeah but you'll most likely get an adapter, like HTC have done.

Personally I don't care as I can't understand in this day and age why people have headphones that need to be plugged in. Same goes for wanting mad good speakers on a phone. Bluetooth​, people.

I agree about speakers but BT headphones are really expensive. I use xiaomi hybrid earphones and to get similar quality sound from a BT set I'd need to spend nearly a 100 euro. The xiaomis were less than 20!

Although, I reckon BT headphones would last a lot longer than wired seeing as it's usually the wires that break.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its because analog connections should have been done away with 10 years ago. its insane they have hung on so long

its because analog connections should have been done away with 10 years ago. its insane they have hung on so long

Ah tbf they are in everything so I think that's a tad over kill.

In terms of music most folks wouldn't detect the difference a digital signal can give in terms of quality​

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a false argument entirely.

Your ears are analogue. You have to use a DAC to hear music, we dont hear bits. So BT vs onboard is only a case of where you put the DAC. Moves the "Quality" from the phone to the headset. Downside: more expensive headphones. Upside: You can get as good a DAC as you're willing to pay for. Either way, its still analogue.

Any rumors regarding Qi or NFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I'm thinking they might drop two phones on us this time round, one for the bleeding edge users (to help make some money back as ram prices keep going up) and one for the rest of us who just want higher end without being ripped off.
    Both phones will have the snapdragon-835 CPU and maybe 4300 battery but the higher end model will come with 8GB RAM, 128-256 GB storage and maybe a higher than 1080p screen... they will be looking for 600-630 lids for it. While phone two will be the more mainstream upgrade to the T at 6GB/64BG/1080p at but still with a slightly higher price 500-530 euro.

OP released a statement yesterday saying they are pulling the 3T fron June 1st so it will probably be released end of June I would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd be very surprised if they released two phones

• Advertisement
Advertisement