Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if they released two phones

Yeah, the only one that will work would be the cheaper one. People won't spend 650 euro on a one plus if they can get the latest Galaxy for the same price.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    Depends if it has better specs and non Samsung software (which a lot of people have a thing about), then they'll buy.

Yeah but the latest Samsung will have similar specs, superior camera. Samsungs branding is so strong that you're average Joe will just go with them. One plus needs to be cheaper than the competition to compete.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah but the latest Samsung will have similar specs, superior camera. Samsungs branding is so strong that you're average Joe will just go with them. One plus needs to be cheaper than the competition to compete.

Absolutely, it's main selling point is it's price difference from the high end phone it's aimed at competing at, once the price gets within a certain range people will just find the extra money for the branded phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

I'm also thinking of leaving from a Samsung Galaxy so I'm waiting to see what they Oneplus comes up with. The S8 is just way too expensive now. I hope they also have the Midnight black option from the 3T. That matt black colour was so nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

All of a sudden my 3T is looking like a keeper. If those prices are correct (if!) I'll be hanging on to this. Seriously it's the best phone I ever had and I'm not handing out a fortune for improvements I can'tt really see in real life.

Although their plan was brilliant. Hook us in with a great phone at super low price (the One) and small incremental increases with each new model, that builds familiarity and confidence in the brand. But now? Sure your up there with the big boys at those prices. What's the unique selling point now?

https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/869206727694196737

Teasing the camera, but who knows what it's being compared to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Basil3 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/oneplus/status/869206727694196737

Teasing the camera, but who knows what it's being compared to.

3t vs 5 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I think a couple places accidentally leaked their prices at 450 US dollars what was the 3T in dollars to compare and work out a possible euro price?

If it's circa €600 I think they'll be surprised at how much of a drop in sales they'll get.

Their whole draw from day one was they have grest specs for a great price usually half what a Samsung or iPhone was

But I'd happily take a 6GB, 64GB with a 1080p screen as a cheaper model. QHD is a no no to me. No interest in VR but most importantly battery life

If the dash charger remains the same it would save a few quid as I have 2 already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think some of the bigger sites that are speculating/suggesting the higher prices are (unknowing to them) enabling OnePlus to gauge the market for reaction from joe public.
    we could end up with the lower end (6GB/1080p/16MP/3500Mh) 'upgrade' for 450-475 on it's own if they see we we are turned off by a higher end/price model.

I know the pic is suppose to suggest old camera vs new but I think the OP3T was better than the pic on the left is suggesting... maybe iphone/pixel?

They'll have to be careful, if they pitch this at the wrong price it will fail spectacularly and they'll have nothing to fall back on as there are no more OP3Ts.
    I have a OP3 and I love it but I'm watching with interest to see what the OP5 launches for, if it's not too bad I might consider an upgrade, if it's too expensive I'll stay put and continue on with my current phone.
    OP don't want to misjudge the market and then have to drop the price to chase sales, once they lose their USP it's gone forever, once they become just another phone manufacturer selling full price phones their days will be numbered.
    This thing needs to be an exceptional phone at an exceptional price and a sell out on day one to be a success.

They'll have to be careful, if they pitch this at the wrong price it will fail spectacularly and they'll have nothing to fall back on as there are no more OP3Ts.
    I have a OP3 and I love it but I'm watching with interest to see what the OP5 launches for, if it's not too bad I might consider an upgrade, if it's too expensive I'll stay put and continue on with my current phone.
    OP don't want to misjudge the market and then have to drop the price to chase sales, once they lose their USP it's gone forever, once they become just another phone manufacturer selling full price phones their days will be numbered.
    This thing needs to be an exceptional phone at an exceptional price and a sell out on day one to be a success.

god's toy wrote: »
    I know the pic is suppose to suggest old camera vs new but I think the OP3T was better than the pic on the left is suggesting... maybe iphone/pixel?

If it's not the 3T camera, then there's no chance it's the iPhone or Pixel. Even the U11 couldn't​ make those devices look that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Nokia 9 is rumoured to have similar specs as OP5.

If they dont get the price right they will loose their fan base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Nokia 9 is rumoured to have similar specs as OP5.

If they dont get the price right they will loose their fan base.

When is this to be released ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

For sure. I'm waiting on seeing what Andy Rubin is gonna announce later on today. Could be jumping ship if OP mess this up.

god's toy wrote: »
    For sure. I'm waiting on seeing what Andy Rubin is gonna announce later on today. Could be jumping ship if OP mess this up.

Looks pretty interesting. Not a crazy price for what it is, either.

https://www.essential.com/#introduction

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

'Only shipping to the US at this time'.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Basil3 wrote:
    'Only shipping to the US at this time'.....

No headphone jack is a nonrunner for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Any idea on a rough price this will be ? Read somewhere that it might be more expensive this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

threein99 wrote: »
    Any idea on a rough price this will be ? Read somewhere that it might be more expensive this time

No one has a clue. If you take that essential phone released today, it's going for 620 euro and the OP5 is rumoured to have slightly better specs, then it should be the same price or more expensive. Until OP leak it or announce it officially we have to hold tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

statto25 wrote: »
    No one has a clue. If you take that essential phone released today, it's going for 620 euro and the OP5 is rumoured to have slightly better specs, then it should be the same price or more expensive. Until OP leak it or announce it officially we have to hold tight.

Will the 3T be unavailable after the 5 gets released then ?

I need a new phone but want to hold out and see what the OP5 price is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

threein99 wrote: »
    Will the 3T be unavailable after the 5 gets released then ?

I need a new phone but want to hold out and see what the OP5 price is

The 3T is being removed from the store on June 1st.
    You only have today and tomorrow to decide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Actually you know what, the fact they will have no phone bar the 5 for sale would make me think they will price the same if not maybe 10/20 euro more

You'd never expect them to be monumentally so stupid as to end up with only one expensive device and risk being crippled

The price for specs is the draw, I genuinely think the vast majority would go to a better known brand if it's over 500, I'd much sooner pay an extra €150 for the new HTC in such a case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

When this gets announced how does it normally go on sale?

Just order it from the UK version of their website? Is there usually pre-ordering or a wait from when it goes on sale? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Would make sense 1+5 released on the 15th June...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

eoz wrote: »

Oh dear...

giphy.gif

Oh dear...

Another poster has surfaced today also indicating a 15th June release
    https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/06/new-oneplus-5-poster-leaks-reaffirms-june-15-launch-date.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I have a OnePlus X that I loved but it's gone to crap, can only pick up any kind of signal rarely and sporadically in certain areas and seems to have only started happening recently, and this very issue seems to have affected many other owners of the phone over the past year.

Was considering upgrading to the 3T but copped that the 5 will be out very soon. Am I a bit mad for still considering OnePlus after such a fundamental flaw in the X?

I read somewhere that they're officially revealing the 5 release date today and hopefully the leaks are right that it's the 15th. Surely it wouldn't make sense for them to discontinue the 3T a whole month or two before its replacement is available?

I have a OnePlus X that I loved but it's gone to crap, can only pick up any kind of signal rarely and sporadically in certain areas and seems to have only started happening recently, and this very issue seems to have affected many other owners of the phone over the past year.

Was considering upgrading to the 3T but copped that the 5 will be out very soon. Am I a bit mad for still considering OnePlus after such a fundamental flaw in the X?

I read somewhere that they're officially revealing the 5 release date today and hopefully the leaks are right that it's the 15th. Surely it wouldn't make sense for them to discontinue the 3T a whole month or two before its replacement is available?
    That's exactly what happened with the 3T if you scroll back through the OP3 thread last November/December.
    3T not released and no stock of the 3, other than a T-shirt or a charger there was nothing to buy on their website.

Todays OP drip feed of info is that the Dual Camera is a feature and it will also be the thinnest flagship phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

eoz wrote: »
    Another poster has surfaced today also indicating a 15th June release
    https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/06/new-oneplus-5-poster-leaks-reaffirms-june-15-launch-date.html

I know that, that wasnt why I posted the GIF. Reread his/her post.

From Android Authority, who OnePlus are "leaking" info to

OnePlus5box-840x472.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd still recommend them as I had the OPOne, OP2 and then a OP3 and all worked flawlessly for me when I had them. I sold my One and 3 and I am using the two atm.

It must have been the X that had a problem. Mind you it was a cheap phone even when released and not a flagship spec'ed phone.

From Android Authority, who OnePlus are "leaking" info to

OnePlus5box-840x472.jpeg

Camera sample

+ rumours that the cameras are a monochrome and rgb configuration like the Huawei P10

OnePlus-5-Camera-sample.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_will_be_thinner_than_its_predecessors_could_be_unveiled_june_20-news-25419.php

Gonna be thinner than the 3T, I'd rather phone companies forget about making phones thinner and concentrate on bigger batteries

Does a 1080p Screen makes this a non runner? As per current rumors??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

FaganJr wrote: »
    Does a 1080p Screen makes this a non runner? As per current rumors??

Unless you are using it for VR it is not going to make the slightest difference. 1080p was invented to make 40"+ screens have good quality images on a 6" screen it's not important.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless you are using it for VR it is not going to make the slightest difference. 1080p was invented to make 40"+ screens have good quality images on a 6" screen it's not important.

So is VR not important anymore to OnePlus considering they had a number of launches in VR??
    Doesn't make sence to me??

• Advertisement

All will be revealed on 20th June folks. Keynote and launch on that date.

All will be revealed on 20th June folks. Keynote and launch on that date.

https://twitter.com/OnePlus_UK/status/872123643479957504

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

C'mon ffs, or I'm gonna spend the money I set aside on something else :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    C'mon ffs, or I'm gonna spend the money I set aside on something else :D

I know I have money burning a hole in my pocket and that S8 from Amazon Italy is mighty tempting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement