Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DanC90 wrote: »
    I got 7 and a half hours of SOT from my first charge of the 5T, that's some start to battery life.

I'm currently on 5 hours 15 minutes with SOT on the 5 and still have 40% battery left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

The only thing that bugs me - and this might be just me, is that every time I use the slider I accidentally press the power button. Whatever way it's placed I just naturally press it by accident.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. Very happy overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

emmetkenny wrote:
    I'm currently on 5 hours 15 minutes with SOT on the 5 and still have 40% battery left.

Do you cycle your battery from 100>0 or do you keep it topped up as you need it? Just curious as I'd like to have similar battery performance myself ðŸ˜

Do you cycle your battery from 100>0 or do you keep it topped up as you need it? Just curious as I'd like to have similar battery performance myself ðŸ˜

I charge most nights, it's usually down to 4 or 5 % at that stage.

Battery is now at 19% with a SOT of 7 hours and 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I ordered it tuesday night and it is stuck in processing. Said it will dispatch today, but still nothing. So much for premium delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So I ordered it tuesday night and it is stuck in processing. Said it will dispatch today, but still nothing. So much for premium delivery.

The premium delivery will only be from when ups pick it up and they can't be faulted.
    Mine went from somewhere in Poland to Poznan,then Cologne, then Dublin, then Shannon,then Cork and finally Youghal.
    All in 22 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

My 5 which is on the latest update has started acting weird, it's burning through battery (was down to 27% at 11:30 from 100% after an overnight charge at 7:30am, it won't/can't see any WiFi networks and when I try to reboot it goes into an eternal "waiting" loop with the circular icon going round and round but despite waiting 20 minutes it still hasn't rebooted.

Any suggestions as to what's going on or more importantly what I need to do to fix it? It's been good as gold from new (bought on release) up to now.

If I have to do a factory reset would I be as well off jumping into the Android 8.0 Open Beta?

My 5 which is on the latest update has started acting weird, it's burning through battery (was down to 27% at 11:30 from 100% after an overnight charge at 7:30am, it won't/can't see any WiFi networks and when I try to reboot it goes into an eternal "waiting" loop with the circular icon going round and round but despite waiting 20 minutes it still hasn't rebooted.

Any suggestions as to what's going on or more importantly what I need to do to fix it? It's been good as gold from new (bought on release) up to now.

If I have to do a factory reset would I be as well off jumping into the Android 8.0 Open Beta?
    I'd say it's using a lot of battery searching for WiFi.
    Switch off WiFi tonight and see what your battery is at in the morning.
    This type things can be process of elimation.
    Not sure about reboot issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Maybe try clearing cache partition from Recovery menu? There is a way to access phone test. Really not sure though - seems odd. Mine's still A-OK since last update.

If you can get as far as the dialer than you can try accessing some of the built-in hardware tests to see what responses to you get
    -open dialer,
    -enter *#808# to explore all HARDWARE related tests,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Actually same. Still processing and I ordered it on tuesday night. I payed for premium delivery too.

Any joy?
    Still processing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Is it worth taking off the pre-applied screen protector and putting on the 3d one? Will it make a big difference?

pandabat wrote: »
    Maybe try clearing cache partition from Recovery menu?

Was going to do a Factory Reset but on your suggestion I wiped the cache and finger crossed it seems to be behaving itself again.

For future ref in case others encounter the problem what was happening was the device was either listing but not connecting to local Wifi networks or constantly searching for Wifi networks but not seeing any even though there were several networks in the immediate vicinity. The latter in particular drained the battery at a huge rate e.g. down from 100% to 50% in less than 3 hours. In addition the phone was also very slow to respond to commands and showed nothing in the battery analysis screen. See screenshots below.

Screenshot201712021022131512220153.png

and

Screenshot201712021021431512220210.png

Was going to do a Factory Reset but on your suggestion I wiped the cache and finger crossed it seems to be behaving itself again.

Good to hear it's nothing too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Any joy?
    Still processing :(

It says "outbound order" now, whatever that means. Tracking is up and running and last time it was spotted in poland.

Estimate delivery date is 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

rudiger2.0 wrote: »
    Is it worth taking off the pre-applied screen protector and putting on the 3d one? Will it make a big difference?

I'd say keep it for now
    The 3d one can be better but tends to have bubbles in it
    Just change when the pre applied screen protector has scratches on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Oreo seems to have inbuilt SMS backup to the Google cloud!
    Did not realise that was being brought in :)

pandabat wrote: »
    Good to hear it's nothing too serious

I put the white smoke up too early I'm afraid :(

Whilst the phone behaved fine for the afternoon as soon as I went out and lost Wifi connectivity it started getting hot and losing battery at a rapid pace. Once I got back home it didn't reconnect to my Wifi so I went into Settings -> WiFi and it just keeps searching but never finding any networks.

I've also noticed that it performs very sluggishly whilst in settings and it also won't turn off or reboot, when I try it just hangs in the shut down process (where you get the white circular motion icon) and stays that way until I do a hard shut down i.e. press and hold the power button until it powers off.

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to do a factory reset but when I try to do it within Settings -> Backup & Reset I can't get past the point where it asks me for my security pattern/password. In my case I use a pattern which I input and it shows the trace but then just stays there doing nothing.

I'm familiar enough with booting into recovery and flashing roms etc from years ago so I've booted into what I think is recovery (press power and volume up button) and I get a menu that looks somewhat familiar but doens't have an obvious Factory Reset option. The options I'm presented with are:-

- Install from internal storage

- Install from ADB

- Wipe data and cache
    - Reset system setting
    - Wipe cache
    - Erase everything(Music, pics etc)

- Advanced
    - Reboot to fastboot
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Ver 2.0

- Exit

I already wiped cache so the only option that looks like it could be an actual Factory Reset is "Reset system setting". Is that correct?

I'd prefer to do that than do a full complete wipe inc music and pics/movies etc.

Appreciate some input/guidance from those with a bit more recent experience of this sort of messing around, it's been a long time sine I did any rooting/flashing/resetting etc. :confused:

Cheers.

I'd assume you're correct but not done it on OP5 myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

I put the white smoke up too early I'm afraid :(

Whilst the phone behaved fine for the afternoon as soon as I went out and lost Wifi connectivity it started getting hot and losing battery at a rapid pace. Once I got back home it didn't reconnect to my Wifi so I went into Settings -> WiFi and it just keeps searching but never finding any networks.

I've also noticed that it performs very sluggishly whilst in settings and it also won't turn off or reboot, when I try it just hangs in the shut down process (where you get the white circular motion icon) and stays that way until I do a hard shut down i.e. press and hold the power button until it powers off.

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to do a factory reset but when I try to do it within Settings -> Backup & Reset I can't get past the point where it asks me for my security pattern/password. In my case I use a pattern which I input and it shows the trace but then just stays there doing nothing.

I'm familiar enough with booting into recovery and flashing roms etc from years ago so I've booted into what I think is recovery (press power and volume up button) and I get a menu that looks somewhat familiar but doens't have an obvious Factory Reset option. The options I'm presented with are:-

- Install from internal storage

- Install from ADB

- Wipe data and cache
    - Reset system setting
    - Wipe cache
    - Erase everything(Music, pics etc)

- Advanced
    - Reboot to fastboot
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Ver 2.0

- Exit

I already wiped cache so the only option that looks like it could be an actual Factory Reset is "Reset system setting". Is that correct?

I'd prefer to do that than do a full complete wipe inc music and pics/movies etc.

Appreciate some input/guidance from those with a bit more recent experience of this sort of messing around, it's been a long time sine I did any rooting/flashing/resetting etc. :confused:

Cheers.

Try downloading the gsam battery app. With an adb command it gives detailed info on battery usage. A friend had this problem on his one plus 3t . Turned out to be a corrupt picture file.. weirdest I'd ever heard but with the app he was able to track it down

Think it's time for a new phone!
    One plus 5t only 2 weeks old.
    One careful owner. :pac:
    2crn85d.jpg

• Advertisement

What happened?!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    What happened?!

Drink!!!!

got out of a taxi at 4am and ii must have fell out of my pocket.
    No phone when I woke, spotted out on the road after a while.
    Not sure if a car rolled over it or not.
    New one now ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anyone move from an Galaxy S7? Interested to find out how the camera compares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

jenno86 wrote: »

I got one for herself to switch from the S7. There's a very noticeable drop in quality in lower light. And the lack of ois is noticeable and does affect the picture quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

blade1 wrote: »
    Think it's time for a new phone!
    One plus 5t only 2 weeks old.
    One careful owner. :pac:
    2crn85d.jpg

Feck, sorry to hear that, only a meterial object but annoying all the same.

Was there a case on it or were you running it naked?

Looking at the pic, I would hope more than a drop caused that.

Feck, sorry to hear that, only a meterial object but annoying all the same.

Was there a case on it or were you running it naked?

Looking at the pic, I would hope more than a drop caused that.

It had the soft case that's included in the box.
    There'd be a good bit of traffic passing and where it was I'd be amazed if nothing rolled over it.
    If there was,the rest of the phone held up really well as there is no other damage visible.
    I was at a wedding so it was an expensive day already without the cost of a new phone.

jenno86 wrote: »

Have the OP5 and, in my experience and in comparison with the S7, it stacks up reasonably well. The S7 produces better lit shots when lighting is not as good but can, as a consequence, blow out some detail that the OP5 will pick up albeit with a slightly noisier image. The OP5 does not seem to be as good at picking up detail in the middle-to-long range where items become more smeared (e.g. far away trees with foliage or painted pebble-dash wall). I've found detail with hair also to be problematic and seen some issues with skin tones being over-simplified to watercolour effect. Bokeh is fun but needs some work too. To summarise, it's not the best camera by any means but it's a reasonable choice in good light and is at least in the same ball-park as the S7 camera, winning some battles and losing others depending on what aspects you're focussing on. Panorama mode is unusable for complex scenes with stock camera though. Samsung really nail that part of the game

Guy's are we supposed to have Google Assistant on the OP5 or do we have to hack it onto the device in some way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Drink!!!!

got out of a taxi at 4am and ii must have fell out of my pocket.
    No phone when I woke, spotted out on the road after a while.
    Not sure if a car rolled over it or not.
    New one now ordered.

Nooooooooo. Unlucky!!

You must like it if you've ordered another!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Not that anyone cares to know but I'm sending back the 5T. After a few days testing there's no way around the fact the camera is terrible.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Not that anyone cares to know but I'm sending back the 5T. After a few days testing there's no way around the fact the camera is terrible.

Sounds a bit strong. Terrible compared to what?

I've read a lot of the 5T reviews including in depth camera reviews and none of them class the camera as "terrible", the consensus seems to be summarised from this review which concluded:-

"Overall the camera experience is a step up from the OnePlus 5, bringing it closer to the flagship elite, but the 5T still doesn’t quite dazzle in the way the Google Pixel 2, Samsung Galaxy S8 and iPhone X do."

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Since we seem to be on the topic of the camera, whenever I open the camera app the viewfinder always has a lot of noise on the screen almost like static you used to get on an old TV but when I've taken the pic it's no longer there. Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I'm using the OP5T.

Sounds a bit strong. Terrible compared to what?

I've read a lot of the 5T reviews including in depth camera reviews and none of them class the camera as "terrible", the consensus seems to be summarised from this review which concluded:-

"Overall the camera experience is a step up from the OnePlus 5, bringing it closer to the flagship elite, but the 5T still doesn’t quite dazzle in the way the Google Pixel 2, Samsung Galaxy S8 and iPhone X do."

So the camera on a €550 phone isn't as good as that on €800-€1000 phone. Comparing the OP5 to the IPX is like comparing a Mondeo with a 5 Series BMW, both will do an excellent job and get you where you need but one is a little more refined.

I think people are being overly critical of the camera in fairness, I find the camera in my 5 is very good, and if I want excellent photos I'll use my DSLR.

Since we seem to be on the topic of the camera, whenever I open the camera app the viewfinder always has a lot of noise on the screen almost like static you used to get on an old TV but when I've taken the pic it's no longer there. Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I'm using the OP5T.
    Certain kinds of artificial lighting can produce weird effects on screen when using the camera. If you're seeing the same thing outside in bright daylight then it sounds like an issue to me

• Advertisement

Here's the cost of a screen replacement for the 5t.
    No mention of a charge for courier.
    I'm sending mine back and they'll let me know whether there's other damage before going ahead with a repair.

Screen - EUR 79.00
    Labor Fee - EUR 16.66
    VAT - 23.00%
    Total Estimated Repair Cost: EUR 117.66

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I have it on my OP5 and its all set to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have it on my OP5 and its all set to ireland.

Assuming you mean where you get "News" stories, etc. from Google, I couldn't find it on the OP Launcher, but once I started using Nova it was there on the home button longpress, as always.

So it's likely available on OP launcher -just need to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Assuming you mean where you get "News" stories, etc. from Google, I couldn't find it on the OP Launcher, but once I started using Nova it was there on the home button longpress, as always.

So it's likely available on OP launcher -just need to find it.

No, I say "hey Google" and the google assistant comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

D3V!L wrote: »
    No, I say "hey Google" and the google assistant comes up.

Ah. I've seen that option in there somewhere but don't use it myself so can't say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Any recommendations for a good case for the 5t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone have these new controls in YouTube videos? They don't automatically go away when I start a video and have to click the X beside the fullscreen to get rid of them...kind of annoying and it just started happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So the camera on a €550 phone isn't as good as that on €800-€1000 phone. Comparing the OP5 to the IPX is like comparing a Mondeo with a 5 Series BMW, both will do an excellent job and get you where you need but one is a little more refined.

I think people are being overly critical of the camera in fairness, I find the camera in my 5 is very good, and if I want excellent photos I'll use my DSLR.

The issue is though is that the S8 is available for close to 500e these days.

The issue is though is that the S8 is available for close to 500e these days.

€580 was the cheapest I've seen it? It's also falling in price because Samsung will be announcing the S9 in two months time so they want to move on as much stock as possible.

Pacifico wrote: »
    Anyone have these new controls in YouTube videos? They don't automatically go away when I start a video and have to click the X beside the fullscreen to get rid of them...kind of annoying and it just started happening!

Nope not got them .... yet anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

has anyone installed the leapcard app on the oneplus5T? , does it work?

also does android pay work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

emmetkenny wrote: »
    €580 was the cheapest I've seen it? It's also falling in price because Samsung will be announcing the S9 in two months time so they want to move on as much stock as possible.

Here on mainland Europe its price is usually 500euro, with it being down as low as 430euro here in Switzerland.

Regarding the S9....that will only widen the gap between the OP5t and Samsung camera wise. The OP6 might be as good as the S8

I think that I read somewhere that we may see some camera improvements in Oreo build when it comes. Here's hoping although not holding my breath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    has anyone installed the leapcard app on the oneplus5T? , does it work?

it works, i tried it and just topped up my card last night. the NFC is right under the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Mc-BigE wrote:

Android Pay works fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement