Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

pandabat wrote: »
    Got Open Beta 3 for the OP5 the other day - Face Unlock finally available. Have to say that it works pretty well!

Got it myself! The OTA corrupted my install (same as beta 1) and I had to do a fresh install again! :mad:

They still haven't included the option on the launcher to turn off auto icon creation on installing a new app! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Got it myself! The OTA corrupted my install (same as beta 1) and I had to do a fresh install again! :mad:

They still haven't included the option on the launcher to turn off auto icon creation on installing a new app! :(

Have you posted that feedback with OnePlus? They have responded to some of the issues that I've raised over the holidays .... that doesn't mean that they'll actually do anything :) but it does mean they are looking at people's reports

Have you posted that feedback with OnePlus? They have responded to some of the issues that I've raised over the holidays .... that doesn't mean that they'll actually do anything :) but it does mean they are looking at people's reports

I'm pretty certain I read on the forum that they were aware, and working on it, so I didn't post again. It's not that hard to implement it surely, but what do I know? :)

How is face unlock working?
    I don't use any locking features on my phone, so I didn't set it up :o

It's good. You make screen active by pressing, say, the side button and then just turn screen to your face. It unlocks in milliseconds. Handy if you can't get one of your fingerprinted fingers to the scanner. Seems to be reasonably secure also - I'm sure it's breakable with the right gear, good access to the target face and plenty of time but I don't think that that's something that I need to worry about too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

I use face unlock on the t. Its pretty handy.. Sometimes doesn't work even in decent light. They have added an 'assist' mode for darkness where the screen comes on with 100% white light.. helps in darker situations.. Waiting for official oreo for t.. hopefully wont be long although doesn't seem that different. I'm already using Nova launcher which brings some of the UI enhancements. The phone is so fast and smooth that's its actually kinda boring :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

OnePlus Switch is now available to download.

Let's you transfer your files from one phone to another ;)

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/introducing-the-oneplus-switch.738493/

Hoping for more improvement as I'm sure not all phones are compatible for this yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm getting 4g on ID?

So are my 2 kids.

White sandstone 5T can be purchased on the 9th

https://oneplus.net/ie/5t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

5star02707 wrote: »
    White sandstone 5T can be purchased on the 9th

https://oneplus.net/ie/5t

You'll be needing a case if you wanna get it

https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/948935797138485251

White sandstone is a very stupid colour idea!
    Kudos OnePlus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

White sandstone is a very stupid colour idea!
    Kudos OnePlus :pac:

Ah shur,might as well wait for the oneplus 6 now! :)

blade1 wrote: »
    Ah shur,might as well wait for the the oneplus 6 now! :)

I don't know, I hear 7 is a lucky number! Might want to wait for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 machines88

Does anyone have a referral code? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

machines88 wrote: »

There you go: https://oneplus.net/ie/invite#EWVTONRIHY450MT :D

machines88 wrote: »

PM sent

At 1:00 you really need to have a case if u don't want it to be dirty

5star02707 wrote: »
    At 1:00 you really need to have a case if u don't want it to be dirty

Or just wear white jeans? ..... ALL the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Anyone else have really bad panoramas when taking a picture? The opo 3 seemed much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Anyone else have really bad panoramas when taking a picture? The opo 3 seemed much better

In panorama mode or just in general?

I find that I can't get a good widescreen shot. If I was taking a pic of a building, I'd need to be standing really far away from it to get it all in.

• Advertisement

The panoramas vary between "not great" (e.g. https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5_iphone_7_plus_samsung_galaxy_s8_shootout-review-1626p7.php#image78 ) to truly horrific (e.g. https://imgur.com/WPR8WS4 ).

The latter pic is from a OP3T but I've seen similar images on my own OP5 when trying to take panoramas at a beach.

Numerous mentions of it in the forums and I'm sure a few bugs reports about it too. I put my own in against the Oreo Open Beta and the bug handlers said that they'd "endorse it to our ROM and Dev Team for analysis". Little may come of it.

Many people recommend using the ported Google Pixel camera app that you should be able to find with a quick online search. Google Cardboard camera from the Play store also offers some panorama functionality. Neither is perfect in my experience. You may wish to install both and take 3 panoramas (one stock, one Google Pixel, one Google Cardboard) and see which, if any, returns the best panorama for a given scene.

This non-working feature and the over-aggressive image compression are the main 2 things that I dislike about an otherwise fab phone!

FWIW I think that the OP3T and the OP5T also have similar panorama issues in line with those of the OP5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Got the Oxygen OS 5.0.1 OTA there for OP5, installing now.

Lads, was trying to take some outdoor pics on the OP5 over the weekend and the image stabilisation seemed really bad. I had noticed it various times before but it was particularly noticeable over the weekend. The picture on the camera app before snapping had a perfect amount of detail but after the processing was done with the photo after taking the picture the detail was blurred almost.

I was on a hike and moving a lot so maybe wasn't as stationary as could be but never noticed it being that bad before. Seems mad that it can't just use the scene as shown by the camera app before it applies some magical blur filter post processing. There's talk of other camera apps, would any of those be better than the stock one with regards this issue?

Got the Oxygen OS 5.0.1 OTA there for OP5, installing now.

Lads, was trying to take some outdoor pics on the OP5 over the weekend and the image stabilisation seemed really bad. I had noticed it various times before but it was particularly noticeable over the weekend. The picture on the camera app before snapping had a perfect amount of detail but after the processing was done with the photo after taking the picture the detail was blurred almost.

I was on a hike and moving a lot so maybe wasn't as stationary as could be but never noticed it being that bad before. Seems mad that it can't just use the scene as shown by the camera app before it applies some magical blur filter post processing. There's talk of other camera apps, would any of those be better than the stock one with regards this issue?

Noticed something similar taking pictures of a car in a hurry recently. You really have to hold the camera still for half a second longer than you'd think in order not to get some blur. Also turn off the HDR effects - should improve single snap performance (HDR takes a few images and combines them).

Try some alternative camera apps but ymmv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It was a nice update, I like what they did with the pulldown status bar, especially when you have spotify playing it looks pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the new style of emoji's though ha

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Halflifept wrote: »
    Oh crap, I came I here cos I was about to buy one and ask for a referral code. Should I buy or not?

deco nate wrote: »
    Oh crap, I came I here cos I was about to buy one and ask for a referral code. Should I buy or not?

do it trough a temporary card like revolut or use paypal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Got someone trying to use the card I used to buy the 5t. luckily it was deactivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I always use PayPal for these purchases - needless to say that it's very secured. The only websites on which I use my card (Revolut not my bank card) are the likes of Amazon and other UK websites as I like their conversion rates.

Here is a referral code that will give you 20 EUR off any accessory in case you still need one: https://oneplus.net/ie/invite#EWVTONRIHY450MT

I bought a case myself https://oneplus.net/ie/oneplus-5t-protective-case which is extremely good.

• Advertisement

Just checked there and I paid by PayPal!

Thank fook :D

Yeah I usually always use paypal, dunno why I didn't this time haha

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Used my ptsb, jokes on them, there's 0.00 in it!

Couldn't use a referral code for some reason it wouldn't let me sign in. Anyway I bought it through pp. Thanks for all the advice /referral codes.
    Now to wait till the 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Used PayPal for the 5t but debit card for the op3 in 07/16, anyone have any idea how far back this breach goes?

Used PayPal for the 5t but debit card for the op3 in 07/16, anyone have any idea how far back this breach goes?

Looks like to be in the 5T time frame. We still need more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Was coming to check if this phone was more of a techy phone than i req.. i wont be making any mods. Just apps etc.. BUT after reading the above its put doubt in my mind.

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Was coming to check if this phone was more of a techy phone than i req.. i wont be making any mods. Just apps etc.. BUT after reading the above its put doubt in my mind.

It will be grand, just use pp. Nothing to do with the phone, just the payment method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Has anyone had Bluetooth issues since the update to Oreo? I get the error com.android.bluetooth keeps stopping

Got someone trying to use the card I used to buy the 5t. luckily it was deactivated.

when was this? debit card? I bought a replacement dash charger off OnePlus just a few days ago using my debit card but no dodgy transactions yet. Is it worth cancelling?

when was this? debit card? I bought a replacement dash charger off OnePlus just a few days ago using my debit card but no dodgy transactions yet. Is it worth cancelling?

This happened on Saturday, got an email and a text off the bank about suspicious activity. Yup Debit. I'd imagine the bank would be pretty quick in sorting it out if something went wrong but yeah I'd go about cancelling the card and getting a new one just to be safe.

• Advertisement

May or may not be related but just had an attempt at a PayPal phish where some texts came in showing me a 6-digit clickable code purporting to be a PayPal security code followed by some phone calls (allegedly from Nebraska) which claimed to be a PayPal automated service and asking me to enter my phone access code. I did use PayPal for purchase of OP5 but could be just be a coincidence. Be wide!

PayPal have a base in dundalk.

Good call, I would never believe those emails. Had them *from*Netflix banks etc.

But they bet in 1 in a 10, 000
    Falling for it, costs them feck all and they make money off some poor people.

Makes me angry thinking about it

PayPal have a base in dundalk.

Good call, I would never believe those emails. Had them *from*Netflix banks etc.

But they bet in 1 in a 10, 000
    Falling for it, costs them feck all and they make money off some poor people.

Makes me angry thinking about it

These were texts to my phone rather than emails. 3 in quick succession made to look like someone was trying to access my account by getting a verification/security code sent to my mobile followed very shortly afterwards by a follow-up call from a (pretend) "PayPal automated system" looking for my phone access PIN to proceed. The code in the SMSs also looked clickable but I'm damned if I'm finding it what happens when you do ;) More sophisticated than I've seen before but I suppose, like any germ, they always need to keep evolving too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Bit of a weird question but is it true that only the OP provided USB-C cable is capable of providing dash charge?

marko93 wrote: »
    Bit of a weird question but is it true that only the OP provided USB-C cable is capable of providing dash charge?

Think others have got some compatible ones off Alibaba but they take about a month to get here

is it not the adapter that provides the dash charge?

The charger does all the work alright (so the phone stays cool) but I think delivery of same requires a special cable. Probably some proprietary use of certain pins or some such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Think others have got some compatible ones off Alibaba but they take about a month to get here
    The charger does all the work alright (so the phone stays cool) but I think delivery of same requires a special cable. Probably some proprietary use of certain pins or some such

Thanks all, just a bit frustrated with the length of the cable provided. Wanted to get one of the 6ft Anker ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭WolfSpinach

marko93 wrote: »
    Thanks all, just a bit frustrated with the length of the cable provided. Wanted to get one of the 6ft Anker ones.

Oneplus sell longer (1.5m), flat cables. When I'm released from the Christmas austerity I'm planning on getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Used my debit visa to buy case before Xmas from one plus. Couple of dodgy transactions just attempted. Bank texted me and put card on hold

• Advertisement
Advertisement