Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Ordered the 8gb model and then cancelled. Every review so far says the camera is muck. I'm using an S7 so I'd want it to match that at least. Anywho it seemed like a little beast apart from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Out for sure after seeing prices - it's now just another flagship phone with many other options in that price range but with still questionable support.

Nothing in it to tempt me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Got a 3T in town with 2 year warranty in cex for 340. Happy enough with it for my needs. Op5 looks a great phone but margin of price with established brands is narrowing which I think could be a problem for oneplus down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Was kind of tempted by this but lack of micro SD or water resistance along with a questionable camera has put me right off. Got an XZ premium a few weeks ago for €530 brand new in box. Seems much better value than the OP5 from what I've seen.

Where did ya pickup an XZ Premium at that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Don't really have much to say about the review below, except it's pretty favourable for OnePlus.
    Camera is not the best in the world, but I never take pics anyway :D

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    3300 mah battery is very disappointing. A decent battery is the main think I need on a phone.

I know people getting 2 days and 8 hours SOT on the HTC U11 running Snapdragon 835 and 3000mAh battery. This device should be decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Ordered the 8gb and welcome pack, 604 clams and delivery Friday, can't complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Should I do it, ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Really on the fence about this one. Have a OPO and looking to upgrade. The OP5 hasn't blown me away though. Between this and an S8 I think.

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    Really on the fence about this one. Have a OPO and looking to upgrade. The OP5 hasn't blown me away though. Between this and an S8 I think.

I'm same, OPO too, but hasn't blown me away and wondering should I go the extra amount for S8

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

Just pushed the trigger here.

Not the excepted price for a flagship killer, but I do like a lot custom roms/mods and is guaranteed that the comunity will be big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

A big plus for me is every review have said its lightning fast, like really fast. Faster than anything out at the moment.

Seems the falling down points are the camera isn't as good as it could be, and there is no water resistance. Other people also annoyed by the lack of SD card slot, though with 128GB built in I'm not too sure why you'd need it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tempted given I'm still rocking a OnePlusX, but think I'll pass for now.

Julez wrote: »
    A big plus for me is every review have said its lightning fast, like really fast. Faster than anything out at the moment.

Seems the falling down points are the camera isn't as good as it could be, and there is no water resistance. Other people also annoyed by the lack of SD card slot, though with 128GB built in I'm not too sure why you'd need it?

This has worried me on the fast part though

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5-benchmark-cheating-reviews/

I'd get over camera, SD card and water resistance really but if I can't trust the benchmarks, that's really killing it's selling point

No cases in stock too, which is a bit of a killer on buying as have to buy that sometime else then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why is the nicer dearer model only midnight black. I wanted the 64GB model but it is only available in the ugly grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

Benzino wrote: »
    titan18 wrote: »
    I'm same, OPO too, but hasn't blown me away and wondering should I go the extra amount for S8

Have you considered the LG G6? I know the processor is a bit slower but some reviewers prefer it to even the S8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Am I able to buy this right now?

bilbot79 wrote: »

Yes if you enter the code. I forget what it is but look back 2 or three pages and it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 outrageous

Yes, just ordered it. The early access code is "Clearer Photos" that lets you order it with free 3 day shipping

• Advertisement

Is that 50% accessory bundle sold out then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Yes if you enter the code. I forget what it is but look back 2 or three pages and it is there.

"Clearer Photos" is the code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Samurai12 wrote: »
    Have you considered the LG G6? I know the processor is a bit slower but some reviewers prefer it to even the S8

What's the best price for a lg6?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

480€ at amazon.it is the safest bet at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Looks bloody awesome. My OP2 is still running great 2 years on but my God I am so tempted to buy this anyway.

the specs when compared to the iPhone 7+ at €1029 in Litttlewoods today are unreal.

Bought. My HTC M8 went kaput a month ago and I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Ace since which can't eve hold Whatsapp. This upgrade should knock my socks off.

irishgeo wrote: »

What's the best price for a lg6?
    If you want to buy it from here then its €523 here: https://www.valuenprice.com/consumer-electronics/smartphone-mobile-phone-and-accessory/smartphones/lg-h870-g6-4g-32gb-astro-black-eu.html
    If you want to buy it from here (an iffy site) then its €393 here: https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/lg-g6-h870ds-64gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-white.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwl9DIBRCG_e3DwsKsizsSJADMmJ11OPFG47Lbe7iXabaQc7B0rKNsLO0Kv61c7hTZ1KZsahoCSFHw_wcB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Didn't think it was a great review by him, he's usually more thorough than that.
    I'm happy with the other reviews so far, ordered the 8gb/128gb earlier, can't wait until Friday now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Anyone disappointed on this keep an eye out for the ZUK Z3 Max that's due in July, priced right it could take a lot of custom

lafors wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a great review by him, he's usually more thorough than that.
    I'm happy with the other reviews so far, ordered the 8gb/128gb earlier, can't wait until Friday now :pac:

Damn. I ordered about 9pm and got estimated delivery Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Same. Got the impression he didn't think there was much to it beyond an incremental improvement from the 3T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

They have been caught for manipulating and cheating for benchmark scores!

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5-benchmark-cheating-reviews/amp/

Never knew the same happened with the 3T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Same. Got the impression he didn't think there was much to it beyond an incremental improvement from the 3T.

In fairness, it is pretty much an incremental increase over the 3T. Faster processor, more ram, dual camera. All good additions but not major. It very hard to be so different these days. The new thing on mainstream phones are edge to edge screens but then xiaomi did that last year. I would have liked that.

Unfortunately they'll never be able to pull off a OPO anymore, the nearest we'll get to that is other Chinese manufacturers who are making amazing phones for a couple of hundred euro.

I'm happy enough to try it for a while, can't be worse than my current China phone, leeco le max2, and wait to see what the new pixel is like.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5-benchmark-cheating-reviews/amp/

Tldr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

He's buddy buddy with Carl Pei. They were both at the OnePlus launch event in New York today.

Apparently the big manufacturers did the same thing a looooong time ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone think the cameras looks a bit goofy? Definitely not as slick looking as the iPhone 7 Plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

In fairness, it is pretty much an incremental increase over the 3T. Faster processor, more ram, dual camera. All good additions but not major. It very hard to be so different these days.

Very true and anyone who tries something really different like the modular phones launched (and quickly forgotten) a couple of years ago tend to go down in flames.

Phones are becoming very mature devices so innovation will slow and the focus will be on refining and perfecting what has more or less become the accepted shape and style. The battleground these days is more to do with how to get the max performance from OEM components as it is to do with external design.
    The new thing on mainstream phones are edge to edge screens but then xiaomi did that last year. I would have liked that

I'm not sure I'd like infinity type screens. Don't they make adding a protection case tricky? Also, when you're gripping a phone with an infinity screen are you not touching the screen and therefore likely to be inadvertently selecting items on the screen etc?
    Unfortunately they'll never be able to pull off a OPO anymore, the nearest we'll get to that is other Chinese manufacturers who are making amazing phones for a couple of hundred euro.

I currently have an UMIDIGI Z Pro which is a pretty good phone with Vanilla Android 7, a seriously fast processor and excellent battery life.

When you put the €207 Z Pro side by side with the €559 OP5 it's hard to justify paying 2.7 times the price of the Z Pro for the OP5 but I just did!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

With the amount they carried on about the camera, I can't see how it's going to compete with the big boys in that department. Tiny pixels, no OIS. Can't see it being great in the one aspect all cameras suffer - low light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Over all I think it's a still a very good price for what you get. IF if just want the highest end CPU on the market today and Tons of RAM with a battery friendly 1080p screen. Want more RAM and double the storage? give us 60 bucks more. DEAL!

Want a better camera, higher res screen and an IP water rating? get the Samsung or the LG but you pay more and you have those bolted skins to deal with... but you knew that..
    I've being using Oneplus for years and never had any water getting anywhere and I love the almost stock interface and my OP3 is still as fast as day 1 use.

Your paying for what your getting here and in the end the clocking benchmarks wont really take anything away from this phone as it will still be supper fast regardless, with or without the numbers being fiddled with.

Having said that, and having said my OP3 is still as fast day 1, I will be hanging on to it for a little while longer me thinks.

god's toy wrote: »
    Over all I think it's a still a very good price for what you get. IF if just want the highest end CPU on the market today and Tons of RAM with a battery friendly 1080p screen. Want more RAM and double the storage? give us 60 bucks more. DEAL!

Want a better camera, higher res screen and an IP water rating? get the Samsung or the LG but you pay more and you have those bolted skins to deal with... but you knew that..  
    I've being using Oneplus for years and never had any water getting anywhere and I love the almost stock interface and my OP3 is still as fast as day 1 use.

Your paying for what your getting here and in the end the clocking benchmarks wont really take anything away from this phone as it will still be supper fast regardless, with or without the numbers being fiddled with.  

Having said that, and having said my OP3 is still as fast day 1, I will be hanging on to it for a little while longer me thinks.
    Probably my biggest gripe is with something that the CEO of OnePlus said which was that as they try to make their phone have flagship specs, the phone is going to get more expensive. Which has been clearly prevalent over te past few iterations of the phone. I think OnePlus make amazing phones but as they get closer to flagship prices without a large customer base, I wonder about the future of the company and the future of the brand. If the LG G7 comes out next february, it would be close to €500 by the time the OnePlus 6 comes out. Then the OnePlus would be less of a flagship --killer and more of a flagship. Which I wouldn't mind except they are not as popular as LG.

Probably my biggest gripe is with something that the CEO of OnePlus said which was that as they try to make their phone have flagship specs, the phone is going to get more expensive. Which has been clearly prevalent over te past few iterations of the phone. I think OnePlus make amazing phones but as they get closer to flagship prices without a large customer base, I wonder about the future of the company and the future of the brand. If the LG G7 comes out next february, it would be close to €500 by the time the OnePlus 6 comes out. Then the OnePlus would be less of a flagship --killer and more of a flagship. Which I wouldn't mind except they are not as popular as LG.

It was never a flagship killer, though. That's just marketing rubbish. It was a phone that took shortcuts to lower the price. They are taking less shortcuts now.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It was never a flagship killer, though. That's just marketing rubbish. It was a phone that took shortcuts to lower the price. They are taking less shortcuts now.

Yeah I know, I was just using it for lack of a better term

https://youtu.be/GLG0udzciSg
    Seems to be a decent camera review for those worried about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Watched a few different reviews this morning and they are all pretty positive about the phone.

The general gist seems to be that it's well executed, well built, seriously fast and the dual camera setup works quite well.

This Android Central review summarises all the reviews I watched best.

Like all new phone launches I'm sure real world feedback over the coming weeks where some bugs or irritations are discovered will lead to an OTA update that will address them and implement performance tweaks, particularly for the dual camera setup which is new to 1+.

Thankfully nothing I've seen has generated any buyer remorse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Real world feeback is what I would be looking for. Quite a number of reviewers got free phones. More oftenthan not they give positive reviews.

XDA pointed out that they are again trying to cheat in benchmark tests. Its probably a very fast phone, so not sure why they thought it still a good idea to cheat.

Based on the reviews so far, camera is decent but still nowhere the hype before the launch.

I thought I may get it but cant think what I will get above and beyond OP3T.

It's probably a decent upgrade for those still using OPO or OP2. Having said that for about €600 you can get S8. If it wasnt for the software I would have gone back to Samsung. Dont see much of a price advantage anymore. S8 is a brilliant phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

titan18 wrote: »

I think I'm going with the OP5, I really don't like the TouchWiz OS on Samsung phones, and would rather not void the warranty of the S8 just to add a better OS.

Think it might wait a few to see the public opinion of it first, note interested in any of the cases (liked the look of the clear cases posted earlier in this thread).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

2 questions folks

1) Are they only selling the 5 now ?

2) Girlfriend os going to china for a while.... anyone know if its easier and cheaper to pick up a 3t in china ? or even a 5 for cheaper ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Really tempted to pull the trigger on this. Want something different.
    Had my Samsung S7 robbed and got an insurance replacement and was going to sell it on.

Would I really be getting a better phone in the OP5 though is one thing I can't seem to figure.
    Was going to get the 499 option.

I take a fair few photos of the kids, but the bulk of my need is battery and power to use a wide amount of apps. I use lync and outlook for work.

Any one line thoughts appreciated before I spend 500 on it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement