Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel buying advice

Options
  • 06-05-2017 10:35am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a nice set of wheels for my road bike meeting the following specifications:

- Deep section carbon rims, 50mm
    - Shimano 10/11 speed compatible
    - Alloy breaking surface so I don't have to swap the brake blocks each time I put the wheels on. My "normal use" wheels are Mavic Kyserium Elites.
    - Relatively strong, I weigh about 90kg and cycle on bumpy Wicklow back roads.
    - Budget: ?1,500 is pretty much my maximum. There will be 2 or possibly 3 of us buying together or hoping for a discount :)

I want to use these mainly for club races. I have been considering tubs for ultimate grip and performance. I know they have draw backs but use would only be occasional. However more experienced cyclists tell me to use clinchers.

So my questions are:

- Tubs or clinchers?
    - What wheels would you recommend?
    - Where should I buy them?

Any advice appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

zipp 60 would be a good option for you, clincher, alu break surface, bomb proof so you dont have to just keep them for racing. good price on them here but they dont seem to be in stock:

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/zipp-60-wheelset.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

2011 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a nice set of wheels for my road bike meeting the following specifications:

- Deep section carbon rims, 50mm
    - Shimano 10/11 speed compatible
    - Alloy breaking surface so I don't have to swap the brake blocks each time I put the wheels on. My "normal use" wheels are Mavic Kyserium Elites.
    - Relatively strong, I weigh about 90kg and cycle on bumpy Wicklow back roads.
    - Budget: ?1,500 is pretty much my maximum. There will be 2 or possibly 3 of us buying together or hoping for a discount :)

I want to use these mainly for club races. I have been considering tubs for ultimate grip and performance. I know they have draw backs but use would only be occasional. However more experienced cyclists tell me to use clinchers.

So my questions are:

- Tubs or clinchers?
    - What wheels would you recommend?
    - Where should I buy them?

Any advice appreciated.
    Many thanks.

There are trade offs everywhere. While alloy braking surface is nice, it usually means carbon fairings and a heavier wheel. The zipp 60 in the link above is over 1800g

I've been through all this myself and have just ordered a set of 50mm carbon wheels from the spokesman. Carbon braking surface though with special pads needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are trade offs everywhere. While alloy braking surface is nice, it usually means carbon fairings and a heavier wheel.

Yes, I understand that. I want to be able to swap wheels easily though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes, I understand that. I want to be able to swap wheels easily though.

I'll say it before someone else does. Buy a new bike. Problem solved. Your welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Swiss side wheels, buy them direct from the site so not sure about getting a discount but they are good prices already. Big enough in Europe. Pretty sure they test very well too.

https://www.swissside.com/index

Don't have them myself but will be looking at them when I'm getting new wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

joey100 wrote: »
    Swiss side wheels, buy them direct from the site so not sure about getting a discount but they are good prices already. Big enough in Europe. Pretty sure they test very well too.

https://www.swissside.com/index

Don't have them myself but will be looking at them when I'm getting new wheels.

I have the non-deep rim Gotthard wheels for a couple of years and they've been really solid. Light, and have required precisely zero maintenance.

Reviews suggest that the Hadron wheels are damn good too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Meant to say as well, clinchers all the way. Tubs aren't as much faster as they used to be and the added hassle and cost of installing and replacing means I'd stick to clinchers. Unless I was being given them and had a team car with spares behind me the whole time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'll say it before someone else does. Buy a new bike.

:confused::confused:
    As per my first post I have a budget of €1,500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://blog.23mm.co.uk/
    Couple of nice examples in the homepage that might suit
    Loads of other full time wheelbuilders in UK also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Fast forward f6r hard to beat dt Swiss hubs imo enough left over for a decent set of tyres and still change ;)

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360094819/ffwd-f6r-wheelset-clincher-red.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Well with a defeatist attitude like that you'll never get a new bike.

Advertisement