Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Saigon Dublin Oct/Nov 2017

• 06-05-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi

Thinking about going to see Miss Saigon in the Bord Gais Theatre later this year - would anyone recommend this musical? I understand that it is all singing with no dialogue - have been to a good few musicals but wasn't mad on Phantom and found the opera element a bit heavy going. Is Miss Saigon similar? Any insights much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Miss Saigon would be fairly similar, I've seen it twice and it's a little hard to follow but has some amazing music. I'd worry about a tour in BGET that they will have a downsized cast and they may skip the amazing special effect /set at the end as it might not travel well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

You can get the DVD of a live performance of Miss Saigon if you wanted to see if it would be your cup of tea.

I'm not sure if its all sung through, but I don't think there's a lot of dialogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hrududu wrote:
    I'm not sure if its all sung through, but I don't think there's a lot of dialogue

It is sung-through.

OP, it's probably my favourite musical ever. But I too would have my doubts about the ability of the BGET to do it justice - in its original touring format there were only five theatres in the UK and Ireland that could take the sets, of which the Point was one. The stage in the BGET is tiny, comparatively speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm gonna be honest - I love to see big productions like that having to adapt their technical specs to suit other venues. I saw Phantom in BGET a few years ago and although I've seen the show numerous times it was really interesting to see how they dealt with the set.

Miss Saigon is a fabulous show, yes the time hops are confusing if you're unfamiliar with the story but I think it's well worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Anybody been to see this...?
    Worth it or not??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I have my tickets booked! I've never seen it before, no idea what this production is like, but I've heard amazing things about it in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Went to see this and thought it was incredible. Not one filler song in the whole thing. Impressed by the production and the performances were terrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Saw this last night. Production is excellent, in particular the helicopter scene. Music is “musical” as one would expect. I thought the audio/acoustics was poor; volume was a little loud/ distorted, seemed most of the singing was lip synched or singing over recorded vocals. I think that’s common in these type of high energy musicals?
    Also not sure what the conductor was waving at, only a handful of people in the pit.

Advertisement