Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Management Degree - What next?

Options
  • 06-05-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Construction Management Degree - What next?
    Hi everyone,

Hope this is the appropriate place to post this. Quick back story, I graduated with a Level 8 Construction Management degree in 2009 and subsequently left the country. Never went on to work in a Construction after graduating because of the state of the industry. I'm now back in Ireland and considering getting back into construction but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm lucky in that I managed to get work in a small local office drawing up house plans, submitting planning applications, doing small site surveys/setting out etc.

My problem is that I'm not entirely sure what I want to do long term and I want to weigh up the options and consider doing some additional certifications. From what I've found so far it would be prudent to become a chartered engineer/surveyor and I'm currently looking at further education opportunities. One option is a part time course in BIM that my former college offers or I would also consider doing a post-graduate.

Basically, despite having a degree I'm embarrassingly clueless about what my options are next in terms of trying carve out a career. I'm looking for advice from anyone who knows about what kinds of jobs I could pursue, how I would be best to go about gettting some experience and if there are any interesting areas to pursue in further education that would compliment my degree. Anything that includes making lot some of money would be a bonus of course. My skill set would probably lend itself more toward an office based job than an on site job and i have an interest in things like project management and CAD.

I'm going to contact some of my old lecturers for advice as well as talk to some friends but the Moreno opinions I can get the better I reckon. Thannks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Greengekko

Hi Kajaga, just wondering what did you do with your time off?

anyway regardless of what you did dont forget you have a degree it engineering which shows you can learn and see something through to the end. A degree will show an employer you have the ability to learn its not limited to the area you study in.
    Next I would use any spare time during the week to look back over RELEVANT notes from your degree. Construction management and engineering has a lot of modules which you wont use in the work place. Try to get yourself back interested in the different aspects of construction ; CAD, construction systems/methods

Then look for companies taking on graduates as you dont have much experience in construction. Here is a list of Main Contractors to email your CV. SISK, BAM, Wills Bros, Stewart, Walsh civil

Google Consulting Engineers and you will get a list of companies that may be more suited to your office role, however dont rule out the big contractors as they take on a good few BIM modellers/coordinators.

If you rather mechanical you could try Jones Engineering.

I was in a similar situation to you, just take your time and you will get sorted as there are plenty of jobs at the moment. A lack of engineers will mean companies are willing to take you on and train you up.

Advertisement