Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí launch blasphemy probe into Stephen Fry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

frag420 wrote: »
    Ok we get that you don't have time for people different from yourself but why finish your rant by including your favourite hobby??

I just hope you go gentle on those ?ssholes...lube up at least!

If you took a minute to read my post you'd see that I have plenty of time for all sorts just that I couldn't give a **** how they identify. And your little jibe at the end was pretty pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

endacl wrote: »
    Blasphemy. The only truly victimless crime.

You sir are a god amongst men!

:D

seamus wrote: »
    Just a hunch, but maybe, just maybe, I think you might have some issues there fella.

And what would they be Dr. Freud ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Heckler wrote: »
    And what would they be Dr. Freud ?

"think Dr Seuss could diagnose you
    And perhaps, maybe cure you too!
    For you have a little issue
    Don't cry, here's​ a tissue,
    Think he'll have a little punt
    And guess, that you're a" .......

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great day!

I have an issue with attention seeking idiots drumming up a storm on social media by claiming they're human rights are being violated because there isn't a gender neutral toilet on a ****ing ferry.

Goddamn idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

"The garda then took a formal written statement from me in which I quoted Fry’s comments in detail. This written statement mentioned both Fry and RTÉ specifically."

Can somebody drop into the Ennis Garda Station to file a complaint about his complaint? Why did he have to quote him in detail? Could have pointed them to the interview. God hating scumbag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Why do people believe everything published in the media.

Independent is known for having several BS stories in storage for slow news days - especially weekends.

Its hardly "breaking" news - the complaint was made 2 years ago.

Its not an exclusive - its such a non story no other media would take it up.

A crank has made a complaint, unfortunately gardai have to follow up. It will go no further. Non story.

Sensationalist sh1te from indo as usual.

It was also reported by RTE, Newstalk, the Mirror and the Sun .

Edit: And the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I bet it was Joe Duffy. He's fond of describing things as potentially being blasphemous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

"Ireland is the only country in the developed world to have introduced a blasphemy law this century."

Well of course it is, because it's run by gombeen county councillors.
    We've so moved on from the dark days when 'Life of Brian' was banned and deemed blasphemeous. :rolleyes:
    Two things I am so glad I've have opted out of, religion and politics.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Phoebas wrote: »
    It was also reported by RTE, Newstalk, the Mirror and the Sun .

Edit: And the BBC.

Really? Oh great. A nice little embarrassing story for our Country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

This Guy Is Great

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

learn_more wrote: »
    Really? Oh great. A nice little embarrassing story for our Country.

It's ok. The Brits already think we're gobshytes after bankrupting ourselves a few years back. Stories like this, blessing roads in Mayo, visions of Mary in a tree stump in Limerick etc just confirm it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

"Thought police" laws are odd. Like the way it's illegal in some European countries to be a Holocaust denier. Like, I think Holocaust deniers are complete wackadoos but I don't understand how their opinion can be illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Isn't Stephen Fry not Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Murrisk wrote: »
    "Thought police" laws are odd. Like the way it's illegal in some European countries to be a Holocaust denier. Like, I think Holocaust deniers are complete wackadoos but I don't understand how their opinion can be illegal.

Theres a difference between holding an opinion and expressing it.

People are punished for vocally denying it not for just thinking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

valoren wrote: »
    Isn't Stephen Fry not Irish?

Yes. He isn't.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Theres a difference between holding an opinion and expressing it.

People are punished for vocally denying it not for just thinking it.

I'm aware of that, I still think that is most odd. It is still an example of the thought police. "You are not allowed to think that." Expressing an opinion is vocalising your thoughts. How on earth can an opinion be illegal? An opinion isn't necessarily right and I would suggest that Holocaust deniers will get short shrift if they vocalise their views, which seems to be a satisfying enough result. It's a dangerous road to travel down to punish people for not having the "right" views. What else will be judged as not "right"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I don't get how you can have an opinion on a fact? Saying in my opinion the holocaust did not happen is not a bloody opinion. They are simply wrong.

I can see having an opinion on whether or not the Catholic God is a moral one but not whether or not a historical event happened.

(Whether it should be illegal to be wrong about it is a different question but calling it an opinion is bull).

Christy42 wrote: »
    I don't get how you can have an opinion on a fact? Saying in my opinion the holocaust did not happen is not a bloody opinion. They are simply wrong.

I totally agree with you, I think they are wrong. Like I said, I consider deniers to be wackadoos. But, btw, opinions are frequently wrong. An opinion doesn't have to be right. Thinking the holocaust didn't happen is absolutely an opinion. Pretty much the definition of one actually, seeing as opinions are often not based on fact.

That's not my point, my point is why would you criminalise people for expressing that wrong view?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

py2006 wrote: »
    .......on 'The Meaning of Life'

No, this isn't a new episode of FATHER TED. This is real!

The article is here

Stephen Fry did nothing wrong in my opinion I watched the Video of Mr Fry and Gay Byrne. This to me show how backwards Ireland is and it show the how the Garda waste our tax payers money on malice investigation of non criminal incidents. This must go on all the Time in Garda Stations across Ireland wasting tax payers money no wonder the IMF had to bailout Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Heckler banned from the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Is there any possibility that insufferable ballbag, Stephen Fry, could go to prison for this? I'd be in favour of that.

You show your ignorance on the matter astonishingly well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Phoebas wrote: »
    Yes. He isn't.

Doesn't the law only apply to irish citizens? The report suggests it's Fry who could face charges but surely it's the producers that are liable under this 'law'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Well there goes the country's reputation. We now join Alabama, Poland, Russia and so on in many people's minds.

I know everyone thinks this is all hilarious but if we start getting spurious use of blasphemy laws against people it won't be long before it will be against Google or Twitter for something they're hosting and then, its bye bye IT hosting facilities or HQ in Ireland.

Nonsensical legislation like this can end up biting us in the ass and costing people their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

One person made a complaint. He must have serious f*ck all to be doing with his or her life.

Why was the complaint now and not back when it aired? Something smells fishy about this.

Worst thing was that said complainant said 'it didn't bother them personally'

Sure it didn't you bleedin fruitloop

Well there goes the country's reputation. We now join Alabama, Poland, Russia and so on in many people's minds.

I know everyone thinks this is all hilarious but if we start getting spurious use of blasphemy laws against people it won't be long before it will be against Google or Twitter for something they're hosting and then, its bye bye IT hosting facilities or HQ in Ireland.

Nonsensical legislation like this can end up biting us in the ass and costing people their jobs.

in the same few days as the Dail votes for penalties for not joining in on an old pray..

I would add, the damage is already done. They'll just read the Irish blasphemy law used against Fry story and even if this is never brought within 100 miles of a court, that's the only bit that will ever be picked up on as it reaffirms Ireland's reputation as a religious, conservative backwater.

its clearly someone trying to test if the law is going to ever implemented.

interesting

this is Ireland though so Fry will probably go down for 7 to 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

namloc1980 wrote: »
    py2006 wrote: »
    .......on 'The Meaning of Life'

No, this isn't a new episode of FATHER TED.  This is real!

The article is here

Gaybo's face in that video is priceless!

Ah for feck sake.. It's 2017. You can't call "them" that these days (shouldn't even be saying "them" in fairness) . His personal life is none of your business and there's nothing wrong with it!
    And, if anything, the face on whoever the old man is who is doing the interviewing is even more priceless

• Advertisement

It's unlikely to be brought to court and it's also unlikely to be a winnable case by the state as there are defences there for academic and political use etc etc. Given it took place in a highly academic discussion, that's likely to be the end of the matter.

The law is an absolute embarsssment though and has been cited by all sorts of despot regimes as a model for their blasphemy legislation and a justification for having such laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I totally agree with you, I think they are wrong. Like I said, I consider deniers to be wackadoos. But, btw, opinions are frequently wrong. An opinion doesn't have to be right. Thinking the holocaust didn't happen is absolutely an opinion. Pretty much the definition of one actually, seeing as opinions are often not based on fact.

That's not my point, my point is why would you criminalise people for expressing that wrong view?

No an opinion is on something subjective

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion

First one seems to be appropriate and while there is certainly not enough evidence to say the holocaust did not happen there is enough the other way.

Thinking 2+2 =5 is not an opinion. It just means you are wrong. Those laws exist for other reasons than just causing offense. The rights and wrongs of these reasons are beyond the scope of this thread which is about an Irish law about offending people with your opinion.

I would add, the damage is already done. They'll just read the Irish blasphemy law used against Fry story and even if this is never brought within 100 miles of a court, that's the only bit that will ever be picked up on as it reaffirms Ireland's reputation as a religious, conservative backwater.

Irish politicians tend to act fast when an American or a British person passes public comment on us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ah for feck sake.. It's 2017. You can't call "them" that these days (shouldn't even be saying "them" in fairness) .
    And, if anything, the face on whoever the old man is who is doing the interviewing is even more priceless

Jaysus, you might be 'an American' but you should know who Uncle Gaybo is or be thrown off of Boards :D

lawred2 wrote: »
    Irish politicians tend to act fast when an American or a British person passes public comment on us...

Well we deserve to be an international laughing sock over this one!

Someone here ought to have a look at what republicanism has tended to stand for and realise it's a lot more than just "not British"

maudgonner wrote: »
    Ah for feck sake.. It's 2017. You can't call "them" that these days (shouldn't even be saying "them" in fairness) .

Jaysus, you might be 'an American' but you should know who Uncle Gaybo is or be thrown off of Boards :D

Indeed - could see it on something like Last Week tonight

They could also make a nice piece out of TDs voting to penalise TDs for not standing at prayer time.

And throw in a Healy Rae comment about Catholic Ireland -

And the NMH being handed to nuns

And the bishop sitting on the board

Put that in a 5 minute piece and it would paint a very grim picture.

They'd laugh. But we have to live with this sh!t.

2017! Mindboggling.

Indeed - could see it on something like Last Week tonight

And making reference to penalising TDs for not standing for prayer time

And throw in a Healy Rae comment about Catholic Ireland - the NMH and the bishop sitting on the board

Put that in a 5 minute piece and it would paint a very grim picture.

2017! Mindboggling.

Newsflash. A new study has found that different people have different opinions, viewpoints and beliefs on a whole rang of topics.

Mindboggling indeed!

Christy42 wrote: »
    No an opinion is on something subjective

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion

The second definition there:

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal

This is what it falls under. As you can see, there are numerous definitions for what an opinion is. Your link illustrates that. And here's the thing. People who deny it happened believe that they are interpreting the available correctly and everyone else is interpreting it wrong. They are relying on the notion that history is written by the victors. To them, the historical facts are subjective.

As for it being illegal because it causes offence. Well, I simply don't know what to do with that minefield. Something being illegal because it causes offence is a terrifying notion.

I simply can't fathom the notion that someone not accepting facts and vocalising that is something that should be illegal. If someone doesn't accept facts, let them off. What is the point of it being an offence?

• Advertisement

You could add the Tuam horrors and the ongoing situation allowing schools to prioritise their own religious groupings when something like 92% of schools are catholic and 97% are religious.

Ireland has one foot in 2017 and the other in 1817.

Newsflash. A new study has found that different people have different opinions, viewpoints and beliefs on a whole rang of topics.

Mindboggling indeed!

Did you forget to make a point there?

Mindboggling indeed!

Did you forget to make a point there?
    No. But thanks for checking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This has to be someone attempting to show the stupidity of the law in a "modern day Ireland.
    Why would you go to the trouble of making a statement to the local Garda, but emphasising that you were personally not offended by the article or particularly what Fry said, but wanted to bring to their (Garda) attention that an offence had been committed!
    Then went to the trouble of contacting the paper to bring it to their attention.
    Shenanigans I say, but probably of the better kind to highlight the stupidity of this law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

The Garda from Killinaskully/Ennis are investigating blasphemy comments what a joke of a backward country Ireland has gone backwards in time to get rid of minister for Justice in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OK, but then why are the opinions of one group written in to the law, and not the opinions of other groups? Why could some people be prosecuted under the law for expressing different opinions? If Blasphemy is a victimless crime, why does it need to be in the law?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

could have been done to highlight the ridiculousness of the law. it will never be repealed until it gets some media attention. i'm sure most people dont know it exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The gob****e in Ennis who went to the Garda in the first place despite claiming they themselves were not offended ,
    Deserves to have the ****e kicked out of them absolutely amazed this is actually been investigated ,

He effectively said:

Dear God,

Take your hurt your pain and your suffering and shove it!

I don't see anything wrong with that. People get angry with God all of the time. Perfectly human thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gatling wrote: »
    The gob****e in Ennis who went to the Garda in the first place despite claiming they themselves were not offended ,
    Deserves to have the ****e kicked out of them absolutely amazed this is actually been investigated ,
    Surely the amazing part is that blasphemy is a crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

The Garda from Killinaskully/Ennis are investigating blasphemy comments what a joke of a backward country Ireland has gone backwards in time to get rid of minister for Justice in my opinion.

Don't worry. They aren't investigating anything. As Ennis goes, this is at the low end of strange.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement