Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí launch blasphemy probe into Stephen Fry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Non secular nonsense.

could have been done to highlight the ridiculousness of the law. it will never be repealed until it gets some media attention. i'm sure most people dont know it exists.

Reading this thread with great interest over dinner- as an aside I had a piece of halibut this evening that was good enough for Jehovah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Gatling wrote: »
    The gob****e in Ennis who went to the Garda in the first place despite claiming they themselves were not offended ,
    Deserves to have the ****e kicked out of them absolutely amazed this is actually been investigated ,
    I an not amazed the Garda in Ennis are investigated this Non- criminal incidents why not its not there money being wasted its the tax payers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Reading this thread with great interest over dinner- as an aside I had a piece of halibut this evening that was good enough for Jehovah!

lev24.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

It's a PC-Brigade style law that is annoying the PC-Brigade types.this is delightful
    The usual folk are hot under the collar.

maudgonner wrote: »
    lev24.jpg

Are there any women here today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

arayess wrote: »
    It's a PC-Brigade style law that is annoying the PC-Brigade types.this is delightful
    The usual folk are hot under the collar.

I'm not sure blasphemy laws fall anywhere near the category of politically correct.

Just watching the Life of Brian please do not call the Garda in Ennis about me watching a blasphemy Dvd.

Just watching the Life of Brian please do not call the Garda in Ennis about me watching a blasphemy Dvd.

I believe it was unbanned in the late 1980's - relax and enjoy;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

This is becoming an echo chamber of "hate".

Moved to Politics cafe. Then closed for review. the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Well I'm still trying to get over the 'laughing 'sock'' comment 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Probe being launched as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Stephen Fry probed by Gardai"

baed807ded033c9d57972a985a06af2a.jpg

baed807ded033c9d57972a985a06af2a.jpg
    ahahaha:D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

If those concerned about blasphemy really had conviction in their belief, they would leave the sorting out of offenders like Fry to the Lord himself. No need to worry about punishing him in this earthly life - they should be confident he will get punishment enough as he burns in hell for all eternity.
    Or.....have they doubts that that might not come about.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If those concerned about blasphemy really had conviction in their belief, they would leave the sorting out of offenders like Fry to the Lord himself. No need to worry about punishing him in this earthly life - they should be confident he will get punishment enough as he burns in hell for all eternity.

The fact that churches have always sought power and control in this life says everything you need t know about their belief in another life

What?:confused:

Is that another of those #Carla4garda videos?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

The fact that churches have always sought power and control in this life says everything you need t know about their belief in another life

They do a bang-up job of ignoring the whole "sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor" bit too. This struck me as odd c.a aged 9. I drifted away after that and the fact the adults looked at me like I was mad when I mentioned it.
    "Why don't they sell the church and give the money away so?"
    Shaddap sonny...
    "Or all the gold stuff?"
    We said shaddap sonny..now give the nice Priest a hug..

Nah..I'll pass.

I hope Fry is nonplussed by the enquiry. I'm guessing the whole "I'm gay and do lots of cocaine" stuff toughened him up for this sort of ordeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Two years and counting for the complaint to be made and come to light, that's a quick response time by gardai standards if my local station can be used as a comparison. They're as fast as regular gonzales.

Two years and counting for the complaint to be made and come to light, that's a quick response time by gardai standards if my local station can be used as a comparison. They're as fast as regular gonzales.

The wheels of Justice turn slowly.

The revolving-door seems to spin pretty feckin fast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I understood the post, and I'm fairly thick. Your welcome.

Will Gay Byrne also be probe by Ennis Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You see Stephen Fry is a homosexual. Homosexuals are evil and shall burn in hell. And little men will shove red hot pokers up his arse for eternity for the sin of being true to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can't get a Garda response to a burglary or anything else anymore now, but I must get the bstards to admit to Blasphemy and it will be lights and sirens stat.

Jaysis.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    You see Stephen Fry is a homosexual. Homosexuals are evil and shall burn in hell.
    I Get it Big Time.:cool:;)

Can't get a Garda response to a burglary or anything else anymore now, but I must get the bstards to admit to Blasphemy and it will be lights and sirens stat.

Jaysis.
    this is a True Story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who was responsible for the Blasphemy Law anyway. Oh it was that fella from Louth I think. Arrogant prat, let the Religious Community away with millions in compo too. What was his name. Senior moment here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When Dermot Ahern passed this law on behalf of the FF & the Green government as Minister for Justice; he may have introduced the law at a time when our economy was tanking right in front of their own eyes with no way of stopping it without inflicting further damage. You also could say that this government may have created civic laws that were deemed unnecessary within that period because they didn't have a notion in how to properly run the country in an efficient way.

When Dermot Ahern passed this law on behalf of the FF & the Green government as Minister for Justice; he may have introduced the law at a time when our economy was tanking right in front of their own eyes with no way of stopping it without inflicting further damage. You also could say that this government may have created civic laws that were deemed unnecessary within that period because they didn't have a notion in how to properly run the country in an efficient way.
    Minister for justice today look at laws she has brought in. you can not have sexual intercourse with your Wife/ long term Girlfriend if the have Consumed alcohol as this is now Rape in law 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

let the Religious Community away with millions in compo too. What was his name. Senior moment here.

Michael Woods FF Opus Dei?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

let the Religious Community away with millions in compo too. What was his name. Senior moment here.

Michael Woods FF Opus Dei?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Minister for justice today look at laws she has brought in. you can not have sexual intercourse with your Wife/ long term Girlfriend if the have Consumed alcohol as this is now Rape in law 2017.

Ok well in that case I'm a big fat rapist. Man, you talk some pony on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The coverage ireland is going to get internationally on this is going to be bad.

The coverage ireland is going to get internationally on this is going to be bad.

Relax -the Tuam babies thing barely got a mention. This'll be grand. Someone roar "Guinness!" while someone else holds up a picture of U2. Be grand.

We've covered up/deflected far worse. This is small beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Relax -the Tuam babies thing barely got a mention. This'll be grand. Someone roar "Guinness!" while someone else holds up a picture of U2. Be grand.

We've covered up/deflected far worse. This is small beer.

I guess, but we all know one upset celebrity is worth at least 100 dead children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I guess, but we all know one upset celebrity is worth at least 100 dead children.

Adjusted for inflation, one peeved celeb is worth 100 gay men, or 1100 dead babies. Using the Bristol Stool Chart.

Pakistan and other repressive states pointed to our law as an example of a law they wished to pursue.

What year is this? 1749?

• Advertisement

What year is this? 1749?

Pretty much.

Is Ireland turning into Saudi Arabia .

Is Ireland turning into Saudi Arabia .

Only very slowly.

Has God walked into Ennis Garda Station to make a Complaint yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Has God walked into Ennis Garda Station to make a Complaint yet?

No, it was a crank who had sfa to do. And they should be charged with wasting Garda time.:mad:

Backward country Ireland still living in dark ages with laws like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

No, it was a crank who had sfa to do. And they should be charged with wasting Garda time.:mad:

Citizens are entitled to make complaints about breaches of the law, and should be encouraged to do so.

Don't blame the person who reported the breaking of the law, blame the people who allow this to remain a law in the first place.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Citizens are entitled to make complaints about breaches of the law, and should be encouraged to do so.

Don't blame the person who reported the breaking of the law, blame the people who allow this to remain a law in the first place.
    Islamic State ISIS Want Laws Like Ireland.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Obviously a no good, curtain twitching always bitching kinda person who filed this complaint. I'm an atheist. I don't believe​ in a fictitious figure in the sky who's looking out for us all and keeping us safe and "testing us" with whatever he wants to throw at us. It's bullsh1t. Stephen Fry is a learned man. He's educated and can put his argument across in a non condescending manner. He will not disparage anyone for their own personal beliefs. He may scoff nonchalantly but he won't make anyone feel bad for believing in a certain thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Storm in a teacup. It won't amount to anything apart from online outrage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement