Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting and breakfast

Options
  • 06-05-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

we are using several website for our hosting and one of tthem force us to serve breakfast to our guests. We don't have a licence to do so and we don't want to take any risk, but if we don't do so they will remove our listing.
    Is this legal?

Comments

we are using several website for our hosting and one of tthem force us to serve breakfast to our guests. We don't have a licence to do so and we don't want to take any risk, but if we don't do so they will remove our listing.
    Is this legal?

Just don't use that website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

we are using several website for our hosting and one of tthem force us to serve breakfast to our guests. We don't have a licence to do so and we don't want to take any risk, but if we don't do so they will remove our listing. Is this legal?

I assume you signed up willing to the site that required you to provide breakfast. It's their T&C's if you are not willing to agree to them delist . Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I am just asking if it is legal forcing the host to serve breakfast. In my country you can't, you need a licence. If some guests get food poisoned or an allergic reaction it is a serious matter.
    I hope an expert in the matter will be able to answer my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I am just asking if it is legal forcing the host to serve breakfast. In my country you can't, you need a licence. If some guests get food poisoned or an allergic reaction it is a serious matter. I hope an expert in the matter will be able to answer my question

Why did you sign up to a Website when you are unable to honour some of the expectations of said Website . You are breaking their rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I am just asking if it is legal forcing the host to serve breakfast. In my country you can't, you need a licence. If some guests get food poisoned or an allergic reaction it is a serious matter.

what country are you in?

If it falls within the definition of providing breakfast, why not provide milk, cereal, bread, condiments, ham, tomatoes and cheese All commercially packaged, unopened and within the use by date? Or does it have to be cooked?

If you're not comfortable, don't use that site. (It's really that simple)

Also, you're not going to get expert advice for free on an Internet forum.

• Advertisement

Turtle_ wrote: »
    what country are you in?

If it falls within the definition of providing breakfast, why not provide milk, cereal, bread, condiments, ham, tomatoes and cheese All commercially packaged, unopened and within the use by date? Or does it have to be cooked?

If you're not comfortable, don't use that site. (It's really that simple)

Also, you're not going to get expert advice for free on an Internet forum.

thanks, I am going to contact a solicitor with expertise in food safety and I will get all the answers to my questions.
    In the past boards.ie has been very useful and I had free reliable information, at the moment it is not the case of this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

thanks, I am going to contact a solicitor with expertise in food safety and I will get all the answers to my questions.
    In the past boards.ie has been very useful and I had free reliable information, at the moment it is not the case of this post.

It's against boards rules to provide legal advice, which is what you're asking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This is an Irish site. No licences are needed here to serve breakfast. If you're not in Ireland there is no point asking here as to what night be legal in another country. Try a site based in the relevant country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Don't bother with a solicitor. Contact the HSE or the Food Safety Authority for advice. Advice you receive will depend on what you mean by hosting whether it's a B+B type setup, hostel, taking in summer students or Airbnb etc. Nobody here can advise as we don't have this information and also it's not appropriate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If someone falls down your stairs, it's a serious matter. Are you insured for this?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    If someone falls down your stairs, it's a serious matter. Are you insured for this?

Of course I am, but this was not my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

They are not forcing you to serve breakfast.

They are asking you to agree to their terms and conditions in order to use their site. You can choose not to do so, and to take your business elsewhere and they can choose not to do business with those who do not accept their terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Of course I am, but this was not my question

It would really help if you'd comfirm whether or not you're in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

If you have a contract with the website you have to honour the contract. It is the law that you have to honour the contract, not that you have to serve breakfast.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It would really help if you'd comfirm whether or not you're in Ireland.
    I am hosting in my own property in Ireland

Wesser wrote: »
    If you have a contract with the website you have to honour the contract. It is the law that you have to honour the contract, not that you have to serve breakfast.

Airbnb and similar are in a grey area and we all know that there are a lot for problem converting private property in illegal hotel or B&B
    I am happy about the income I am receiving as a host but I think it is time to make rules more clear

I am hosting in my own property in Ireland

Then as pointed out earlier in the thread (twice) you don't need a licence to serve breakfast as this is not a requirement in Ireland. Why do you think that a licence is required?

As others have said either provide a breakfast (which you can legally do) or don't use that particular website it's not like there is only one website you advertise on.

Then as pointed out earlier in the thread (twice) you don't need a licence to serve breakfast as this is not a requirement in Ireland. Why do you think that a licence is required?

As others have said either provide a breakfast (which you can legally do) or don't use that particular website it's not like there is only one website you advertise on.

can you please post a link where I can read more about the fact that I can serve breakfast without breaking the law?
    I was thinking you need a licence because if you don't know how to handle food people can get food poison or allergy reaction, they can even die.
    I personally don't trust a stranger cooking for me, if it is not a friend or a restaurant.

this is what you need when you open a B&B
    http://www.pointofsinglecontact.ie/Browse-by-Sector/Travel-and-Tourism/Bed-and-Breakfasts.html
    I don't understand why I should serve breakfast to my guesst and skip all the regulation that every B&B should follow.
    Why my B&B should be treated different?
    please post me a link where it is confirmed that I can open an illegal B&B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is a requirement for listing by some referral agents that a breakfast is served. There is no legal requirement to serve breakfast when accommodating an overnight guest. Up to 4 rooms in a house can be used for B & B without planning permission or a requirement to have a licence to serve food. However, any agent who chooses to market a B & B or any other accommodation is free to set whatever conditions it likes. It could insist on all en-suites, 6 foot beds or a gym if it liked. It is a matter for providers to decide if they are willing to abide by such conditions.

• Advertisement

There is a requirement for listing by some referral agents that a breakfast is served. There is no legal requirement to serve breakfast when accommodating an overnight guest. Up to 4 rooms in a house can be used for B & B without planning permission or a requirement to have a licence to serve food. However, any agent who chooses to market a B & B or any other accommodation is free to set whatever conditions it likes. It could insist on all en-suites, 6 foot beds or a gym if it liked. It is a matter for providers to decide if they are willing to abide by such conditions.

thank you, can you provide a link were I can read about this, I really appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

thank you, can you provide a link were I can read about this, I really appreciate

What link do you want? You've said the website that you're using clearly says that breakfast must be served. If you don't want to serve breakfast don't use the website. Simple.
    If you want to use the website then serve breakfast, as others have said put out a bowl of fruit and boxed cereals and some yoghurts. You don't have to cook anything.

can you please post a link where I can read more about the fact that I can serve breakfast without breaking the law?
    I was thinking you need a licence because if you don't know how to handle food people can get food poison or allergy reaction, they can even die.
    I personally don't trust a stranger cooking for me, if it is not a friend or a restaurant.

Can you provide a link that says you need a licence to serve breakfast to guests?

Also do you think a licence will guarantee you not getting food poisoning and certainly won't prevent anyone having an allergy reaction this is up to the person themselves to watch out for.

There is simply no requirement for a licence, such a licence doesn't even exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If you are advertising as a Bed & Breakfast, the clue is in the name of the service you are offering. The site you are using is quite right not to list you if you are not serving breakfast.

thank you for your feedbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

A few places down here just offer accommodation, but provide a voucher for breakfast in cafe few doors down.

Could you use this option as a workaround to stay listed on site?

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    A few places down here just offer accommodation, but provide a voucher for breakfast in cafe few doors down.

Could you use this option as a workaround to stay listed on site?

this is a great idea

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mille100piedi - what service are you proposing to supply to guests- and can you give us an idea of which websites you have in mind (particularly the one which you appear to be having issues with).

Also- what do you mean by 'hosting'- e.g. depending on the market you're going after- there may be rules governing it (such as hosting students for language schools/courses- as opposed to occasional visitors/guests).

The term 'hosting' could mean any of a number of different things- people aren't picking on you- we don't know what you're intending to offer, to whom, and via what mediums.

Also- there are some rules and regulations regarding operating a B&B type arrangement- however, many of the rules are waived- if you operate 4 or fewer bedrooms- it was brought in to encourage 'On-Farm enterprises' i.e. to encourgage people to make some money from empty bedrooms (up to 4 bedrooms) without needlessly tying them up in regulations/legislation.

Once you go over 4 bedrooms- you need formal certification from a local authority- alongside planning for a change-of-use for the property (as it would no longer qualify for a residential waiver).

Link to a reasonably well researched article here

mille100piedi - what service are you proposing to supply to guests- and can you give us an idea of which websites you have in mind (particularly the one which you appear to be having issues with).

Also- what do you mean by 'hosting'- e.g. depending on the market you're going after- there may be rules governing it (such as hosting students for language schools/courses- as opposed to occasional visitors/guests).

The term 'hosting' could mean any of a number of different things- people aren't picking on you- we don't know what you're intending to offer, to whom, and via what mediums.

Also- there are some rules and regulations regarding operating a B&B type arrangement- however, many of the rules are waived- if you operate 4 or fewer bedrooms- it was brought in to encourage 'On-Farm enterprises' i.e. to encourgage people to make some money from empty bedrooms (up to 4 bedrooms) without needlessly tying them up in regulations/legislation.

Once you go over 4 bedrooms- you need formal certification from a local authority- alongside planning for a change-of-use for the property (as it would no longer qualify for a residential waiver).

Link to a reasonably well researched article here

We are just renting one room. to students, tourists, professionals, university students, people that come here looking for a job and people that come here to visit family. We rent for short term and long term. Long term guest can use the kitchen, short term guests, can't, but they have a small fridge a kettle and microwave in the room and we live in front of a spar and near other supermarkets.
    I am not sure I can tell which website we are using? we are using the most popular and we are listed as homestay (not B&B)
    All our guests were happy just the last one complained about not having breakfast and asked a refund. We rented him the room for 30 Euros a night, I don't know how much money he has been refunded, but I guess it was a ridiculous amount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We are just renting one room. to students, tourists, professionals, university students, people that come here looking for a job and people that come here to visit family. We rent for short term and long term. Long term guest can use the kitchen, short term guests, can't, but they have a small fridge a kettle and microwave in the room and we live in front of a spar and near other supermarkets.
    I am not sure I can tell which website we are using? we are using the most popular and we are listed as homestay (not B&B)
    All our guests were happy just the last one complained about not having breakfast and asked a refund. We rented him the room for 30 Euros a night, I don't know how much money he has been refunded, but I guess it was a ridiculous amount.

Do these people have a reasonable expectation that you are offering a B&B service? That appears to be the knux of the issue. From what you've described to me- I probably would expect at very least a continental breakfast type setup. Its not unusual to have facilities to make a cup of tea or have a snack in your room- however, this wouldn't normally be instead of a formal breakfast (unless specifically stated as such).

It really depends on how your room is being advertised- if the site you're using is normally used for bed-and-breakfast- then, yes, the guest would have a reasonable expectation that this is what they were getting- if not- well, its as specified.

It may be the case that you simply have to list on a different site- or be 100% overt that you are letting the room, and what exactly it entails.

Personally- it wouldn't bother me either way- if I had access to a breakfast elsewhere.

Advertisement