Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1440p Monitor

Options
  • 06-05-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭

looking to get a new 27in 1440p monitor

currently have a cheap hannsg 1080p monitor

Ive been looking at this monitor https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/g-master-gb2783qsu-b1/

Ive got a gtx 1080

any recommendations 300-400 price range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are two long threads on Korean panels if you have a search for "Korean Monitor" or "Catleap".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd definitely go for 144Hz if you can. Not sure if you can get them as cheap as that though unless you go with an overclockable Korean one which will only go to around 100-120Hz. Still a hell of a lot better than 60Hz.

This is a bit over budget but worth stretching for imo. You might find an even better deal somewhere else. Maybe something with G-sync.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/bc7/AOC-Monitor-Response-Display-Speakers-Adaptive-AG271QX/B01G4AUGR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494082907&sr=8-1&keywords=27%22+2560x1440+144hz

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You'll have to drop down to 24" if you want G-Sync on a 144Hz monitor; or up your budget.

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=11963_144%7E11992_NVIDIA+G-Sync

FreeSync means nothing since you've got an Nvidia card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You'll have to drop down to 24" if you want G-Sync on a 144Hz monitor; or up your budget.

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=11963_144%7E11992_NVIDIA+G-Sync

FreeSync means nothing since you've got an Nvidia card.

i don't really have any interest in g-sync

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i don't really have any interest in g-sync

It's totally worth it though. You done it the wrong way round as you have a expensive powerful graphics card with a mediocre monitor. You should have got a 27" 1440p Gsync monitor and paired it with a 1070.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Id go free sync my,self love the lg curved display,
    Free sync doesnt appear to break the bank.

Id go free sync my,self love the lg curved display,
    Free sync doesnt appear to break the bank.

they thing about freesync is it only works with AMD cards not Nvidia ones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the sooner all this propitiatory sync tech is gotten rid of the bloody better, no reason the likes of freesync shouldn't work with all gpu's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

the sooner all this propitiatory sync tech is gotten rid of the bloody better, no reason the likes of freesync shouldn't work with all gpu's

I bought a cheap Samsung pls monitor recently but upgraded to the dell g sync
    However if I was you I'd push the boat out another €100 and get the dell g-sync. Games look amazing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I'd love to get a 1440p Gsynch myself but they are just so damn expensive. Hopefully i can pick one up on Black Friday.

• Advertisement

Instead of starting a new thread i'm going to add a query on to this one. If i was to get a 144hz Freesync monitor (i have an Nvidia GPU) would i be right in saying that i'd only get screen tearing at lower FPS? I'm gaming on a 60hz BENQ at the moment and am not getting any screen tearing as i'm hitting the 60fps all the time because i'm running a GTX 1070. Would it be a different story if i got a 144hz monitor??

Instead of starting a new thread i'm going to add a query on to this one. If i was to get a 144hz Freesync monitor (i have an Nvidia GPU) would i be right in saying that i'd only get screen tearing at lower FPS? I'm gaming on a 60hz BENQ at the moment and am not getting any screen tearing as i'm hitting the 60fps all the time because i'm running a GTX 1070. Would it be a different story if i got a 144hz monitor??

Freesync will not work with a Nvidia graphics card. You will have to get a Gsync monitor which will have more expense.

You could wait for another month and sell your 1070 and buy a new Vega GPU and buy a cheaper(than gsync) freesync monitor.

But would the higher resolution and refresh rate give me tearing issues if i was to get a 1440p/144hz monitor while running the 1070?

But would the higher resolution and refresh rate give me tearing issues if i was to get a 1440p/144hz monitor while running the 1070?

Yes, you will still get tearing.

Must.....win......lotto.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You have it backwards, you get screen tearing when your fps is higher than your monitor refresh rate. If vsync is turned on this negates it but I love find input lag increases as a result.
    On the 144hz monitor it's unlikely you'd hit 144fps so no tearing

Even if I used a Freesynch monitor?

Sorry for the probably dumb questions.

Even if I used a Freesynch monitor?

Sorry for the probably dumb questions.

Well you can use the freesync monitor with a Nvidia graphics card but the adaptive sync will not work.

You can use vsync with any monitor but it is useless as it locks the refresh rate to try to prevent any tearing. Both Freesync and Gsync are far, far better.

Also there is nothing stopping Nvidia using Freesync with their graphics cards as it is open source software built into the display port and it is not licensed to AMD so the only people stopping Freesync working with Nvidia graphics cards is Nvidia themselves. The could very easily enable it but they do not wish to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can hard limit your fps in the Nvidia and AMD control panel anyway.

If you are on 144Hz you should set the fps cap to 143. 60Hz should be set to 59. You can set this by game as well so if you do want a crazy high fps for the likes of CS-Go you can have custom game specific settings. This does away with most tearing. This should be done even with G-Sync and free-Sync.

Cheers for the info lads. Saving at the moment for one so hopefully have the funds soon.

• Advertisement

anyone have a Dell S2716DG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

I do. I got it for a decent price as "B Grade" stock on over clockers about a year ago. I really love it. As long as your frame rate stays above 60fps everything looks perfect and super smooth. Some people don't like IPS monitors, but I find it fine. One of the best bang for buck G-Sync monitors you can get.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Also picked up the same monitor b-grade at the time and I'm delighted with it.

just setup this monitor now :eek:

just setup this monitor now :eek:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

its a huge step up from my 1080p monitor

image is very crisp and the build quality is super

i have have much time with it bar a few games of killing floor 2

my only draw back is the lack of speakers as i like the odd time to watch videos without headphones on

i'll pickup a cheap set somewhere

How much did it set you back?

How much did it set you back?

i dont even want to know

Haha. Fair enough.

• Advertisement

So i went ahead and bit the bullet and went with an AOC Agon AG271QG. I got it a good bit cheaper than the comparable ASUS ROG Swift.
    I've read a few reports on the BLB but if i get a bad panel i'll just send it back for a refund. That's my social life gone for a few months anyway. :pac:

Advertisement