Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No, I'm not a ******* robot!

Options
  • 06-05-2017 6:09pm

What I am is a regular user who likes to use the preview function when writing a long post to proof read it before submitting it.

I understand Boards need to have security measures in place to prevent bots from spamming - Having to click on the the 'I am not a robot' prompt is fine on occasion. However, when I not only have to click that regularly, but then go on to do another security check where I have to select images which answer the system's security question, it makes it all very draining and counter-productive to the process of writing.

It frustrates and also detracts from the Boards UI experience, especially when there are other seamless (by contextual comparison) alternatives out there.

I don't know if many/any other users have this problem. I would have thought that things like a 1000+ post count, posting from a regular enough location/IP when I do post, along with other behaviour would be enough for the system to recognise that I'm not a bot.

Is this just the way it is? Or are there steps I can take when posting to prevent this happening as often as it does? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That never happens to me. What browser, OS & version of the site are you using?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can't recall the last time I got that message on boards to be honest; THBs questions are your best bet because it's most likely your combo for some reason.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You using a vpn? That's one of the main things anti-DDOS measures won't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Feedback.

tHB

Thanks for all the replies, I think I know what the problem is now. I post from an old macbook regularly. I haven't updated the OS in a couple of years because it would render some old programs that I use regularly useless.

The latest version of Firefox I can run on the machine is also outdated, and it has other glitches (related to video playing) so maybe that has something to do with why I'm getting the robot treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Just hit this wall for the first time a few minutes and after ticking all the right boxes I was unable to complete the security check for some reason. Tried 3 or 4 times, used ccleaner and tried again same problem.

Its a right pain, I wasted half an hour trying to make a simple post.

I'm using FF and meteor bb. and never had a prob before.:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are these the Cloudflare generated ones? I don't how much control the office has over what triggers these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Spear wrote: »
    Are these the Cloudflare generated ones? I don't how much control the office has over what triggers these.

I haven't a clue, the prob I had was trying to post on the waterford city forum, but later on the electrical forum I could post no bother.:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement