Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying 3 Apartments with inheritance

Options
  • 06-05-2017 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Alfaboard

Currently have about 650000k inheritance and don't know much about investing. Im wondering is it that simple to get buy say 3 small apartments for €180,000 and rent it out for say €1500 a month???(3375 euro a month combined) would also like to know if the rent i make from these apartments needs to be declared with the tax office and how much tax i would pay on 3375 a month providing i have tenants i would also like to know about setting up a bank account for these 3 apartments and what kind of bank account ex:deposit account etc or what is the best way to set this up with my bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What are you going to do with the remaining 649 million euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Alfaboard wrote: »
    Currently have about 650000k inheritance and don't know much about investing. Im wondering is it that simple to get buy say 3 small apartments for ?180,000 and rent it out for say ?1500 a month???(3375 euro a month combined) would also like to know if the rent i make from these apartments needs to be declared with the tax office and how much tax i would pay on 3375 a month providing i have tenants i would also like to know about setting up a bank account for these 3 apartments and what kind of bank account ex:deposit account etc or what is the best way to set this up with my bank.

You kind of missed the boat regarding property values and the weight of new legislation and regulations, but if you're still insistent
    Try only one at a time and wait at least 6 months before you buy another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Alfaboard

Bigus wrote: »
    You kind of missed the boat regarding property values and the weight of new legislation and regulations, but if you're still insistent
    Try only one at a time and wait at least 6 months before you buy another.

right sounds like good advice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Currently have about 650000k inheritance and don't know much about investing. Im wondering is it that simple to get buy say 3 small apartments for €180,000 and rent it out for say €1500 a month???(3375 euro a month combined) would also like to know if the rent i make from these apartments needs to be declared with the tax office and how much tax i would pay on 3375 a month providing i have tenants i would also like to know about setting up a bank account for these 3 apartments and what kind of bank account ex:deposit account etc or what is the best way to set this up with my bank.

Of course you have to declare the rental income to the tax office.
    As you're buying these outright without a mortgage- potentially you could be paying up to 54% tax (its at your marginal rate- and you have to pay PRSI and USC on it). Potentially you could be handing over half the rental income to the tax man. You can have whatever kind of bank account you like to receive the rental income- and pay any outgoings from- its not specified.

You really need to sit down and have a chat with a few landlords- before you jump in- I sorry, but you don't really seem to have put any great thought into this........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A REIT might be a better idea in your situation (and alot less hassle) but your whole situation needs to be considered here as it is a significant wad of cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

I would certainly speak to a Financial Advisor about that kind of money. Putting some money into property may make sense, but maybe some diversity into some share based investments etc.. Even in terms of property, would you be better off investing some in residential and some in commercial? Sitting down with a professional may be the best money you ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Of course Revenue will need to be informed of this income. You should have a good read on here at some of the threads on renting out apartments. An issue I've seen a few times is overholding. Where tenants stop paying rent and it can take over a year to have them removed. At least you wouldn't have a mortgage to cover is this happened.

You will also have to pay Local Property Tax on all 3 apartments, and Tax and PRSI on the rental income. I'm sure there's a few more things to consider which other posters will know more about.

wow thanks for the replies is there a calc online that will calculate what i will be coming out with after tax , prsi

wow thanks for the replies is there a calc online that will calculate what i will be coming out with after tax , prsi

No- because it depends on your other income- however, it is taxed at your marginal rate- and you *do* have to pay tax, prsi, usc etc- on your rental income (which really isn't fair- however, its the law).

You do have some allowable costs- for example- with apartments you'll have management charges- which are fully allowable- but the big cost that most landlords have to offset against rental income- is 75% of their mortgage interest- however, that doesn't count in your case if you're buying the property outright. It makes most sense to try and load up as much debt on the properties as possible- its entirely counterintuitive- not to mention ironic- but there is a disincentive to buy or own property outright (call it a perverse incentive to hold as much as debt as possible).

Property tax, RTB fees etc- are *not* allowable as costs.

No costs incurred in fitting out the properties prior to letting them (e.g. furnishing them) are allowable- its only subsequent replacement of furniture, fixtures and fittings that are.

In short- you really need to sit down with a tax accountant who is fully au fait with the Irish rental market- and have a prepared list of questions for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Property tax, RTB fees etc- are *not* allowable as costs..

RTB fees? Really?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    RTB fees? Really?

They're not supposed to be- lol....... :D

They're not supposed to be- lol....... :D

Source or GTFO

Been claiming them for years. Lets not talk about NPPR Bas****s

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Source or GTFO

Been claiming them for years. Lets not talk about NPPR Bas****s

LPT isn't allowable either (they were supposed to be introducing legislation for regulatory fees and LPT- and said they were- but never did it). NPPR- it appears- may have been allowable after all (you probably remember the case from January?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you have that level of money, 3-5 grand in good professional advice would be a great investment.

LPT isn't allowable either (they were supposed to be introducing legislation for regulatory fees and LPT- and said they were- but never did it). NPPR- it appears- may have been allowable after all (you probably remember the case from January?)

Yeah LPT is specifically disallowed and NPPR was disallowed by Revenue despite it being a rate and thereby clearly allowable by legislation but conveniently Revenue will disallow any amendments that take place greater than 4 years so only the very last year of NPPR can be claimed which in reality means that noone will claim it unless you happen to have multiple properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I would go to a fee based financial advisor who will tell what is your best opinion. An low cost ETF like a Vanguard S&P500 index fund might be the best if you want to invest for 15-20 years.

Your time horizon will be the biggest factor to decide what to invest in

IMO if you have €650k and you want to buy property. A house full of pre-63s(complying with the new regs) will have the best yield. I know plenty of people who used inheritance, gifts from family etc to buy vanity apartments with a low yield, as they 'like the development'. Rather than buying in a bad area where the yield can be twice as high ie the rent from owning 2 bed in Sandymount is not a whole lot more than buying a 2 bed on Parnell St, despite the apartments likely costing twice the price

If you have no mortgage, a short term lets apartment ie corporate lets of a few months will yield more than a long term let. But they are a legal grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

That is going to be dependent on your other income, are you married or single, are you going to hold the property directly or is there a way of putting it into a Pension Scheme. Are you going to be living in the property yourself.

It may sound like a simple matter of buying a property and collecting the rent, but there is more to being a landlord than most people think. Are you planning on managing the property yourself or have an agent do it for you?

There are a lot of moving parts to a decision like this and you need to talk to someone who can advice you based on your age, whether you have children and need to consider inheritance matters, what income/assets you currently hold and what your goal for the money is etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

As a small time landlord my advice to the OP is forget about it, residential lets are a TOTAL nightmare, especially apartments. I say this with respect to every aspect, dealing with tenants, PTRB, revenue, re decorating, advertising, showings, repairs the lot. I know I sound like someone who maybe shouldn't be a landlord but I've had a fair few bad experiences for what is a meagre return.

If you have to invest in property go commercial with sitting tenants if possible.

At the end of the day the fact you have inherited the money should not affect how you view your investment. Factor in the cost of money and you will possibly see things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AmberGold wrote: »
    As a small time landlord my advice to the OP is forget about it, residential lets are a TOTAL nightmare, especially apartments. I say this with respect to every aspect, dealing with tenants, PTRB, revenue, re decorating, advertising, showings, repairs the lot. I know I sound like someone who maybe shouldn't be a landlord but I've had a fair few bad experiences for what is a meagre return.

If you have to invest in property go commercial with sitting tenants if possible.

At the end of the day the fact you have inherited the money should not affect how you view your investment. Factor in the cost of money and you will possibly see things differently.
    The key is to understand that landlording requires the investment of capital and labour, like any other business. If you're not going to pay someone else for their labour, you're going to have to provide it yourself.

There are other types of investment that can offer effortless returns, like company shares, but the yield is generally lower than self-managed property lettings because you're paying other people to run those businesses.

• You have 650 k. Put it in the bank and go and enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You may need to factor in management fees too.
    Some people seem blind to these when buying apartments to rent out.

To thine own self be true

You have 650 k. Put it in the bank and go and enjoy yourself.

I think trying to turn that 650k into much more would be better move, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think trying to turn that 650k into much more would be better move, don't you?

And that's why there's an investment forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

You have 650 k. Put it in the bank and go and enjoy yourself.

Or possibly have a million in 5 - 10 years while still living a good lifestyle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

IMO if you have €650k and you want to buy property. A house full of pre-63s(complying with the new regs) will have the best yield.l grey area.

Pre 63s have a higher yield but require much more attention. They are invariably in old buildings and need constant repair. They attract lower calibre tenants so there is also more damage and hassle. there are frequent call -outs for leaks, broken appliances, electrical faults and lost keys. Pre- 63 owners need to be fairly handy and also be capable of managing tradesmen. Bins have to be managed as well. the regulations change from time to time and what is adequate now may not be in a few years. Fire regulations are becoming more stringent as well as regulations about protected structures.

The o/p would be better advised to buy one unit and see how he gets on. He may discover, after a time that he does not like it one bit or he may wish to expand.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Have you considered commercial property? Might get a better yield on a well located shop or industrial unit than you will get on apartments at the moment. I dont think there are many 10% yield apartments at the moment but you might meet that with a commercial tenant. Plus, probably less hassle etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Given the instability of the property market, the suggested course of action may be an ideal way to turn it into much less.

Ignoring all the usual cons with property as an investment, the recent CGT exemption thing that is now closed coupled with the increase in purchase prices I'd consider property a missed boat for the moment OP.

Look at what happened Irish property prices in 2007/2008 and where they are now. Than look at the FTSE100 and the S&P500 etc and where they are relative to pre 2007 and the crash etc.

That should answer the famous blocks v stocks question for you.

AmberGold wrote: »

can you elaborate on this ??? daft?

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Talk to a financial advisor :eek:

Big time- you need proper advice- not the musings of us here.

Advertisement