Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie gear question

• 06-05-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

So I have decided I am finally filfilling my dream of getting a motorbike. A few false dawns. But decided to hell let's do it this summer. Module 5 of ibt booked to resist to renew my ibt. Went out to bike world to try on gear and stuff, and they are all so busy I feel bad asking for advice off them. But one girl was helpful.

Any way I didn't get to ask this question. I was looking at rst textile pants, do you wear pants underneath these or just maybe jocks and skins/thermals depending on the weather?

Comments

So I have decided I am finally filfilling my dream of getting a motorbike. A few false dawns. But decided to hell let's do it this summer. Module 5 of ibt booked to resist to renew my ibt. Went out to bike world to try on gear and stuff, and they are all so busy I feel bad asking for advice off them. But one girl was helpful.

Any way I didn't get to ask this question. I was looking at rst textile pants, do you wear pants underneath these or just maybe jocks and skins/thermals depending on the weather?

I don't wear anything under my textile pants mate, I try to avoid the cold though. Might put on long John's or something if I was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Great , thanks Goose. It felt much better that way. But I didn't want to be doing it completely wrong.
    No pants it is. Skins if it's cold :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I wear them over my trousers when going to work or wear bike thermals when out for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most bike clothing comes with thermal liners which can be easily removed if warm. If you are riding in winter you will need the thermal lining and possibly something else underneath. You can get heated clothes and grips if you want to super comfortable.

But the only thing that you need to worry about on a bike is being warm and dry, how you do that no one cares.

The fun bit is trying to keep cool when it's warm, don't be tempted to ride without full PPE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I don't wear anything under my textile pants mate, I try to avoid the cold though. Might put on long John's or something if I was

Aldi/Crane compression gear on under textiles or leathers.
    Grand job in summer and winter.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice folks. I took the plunge and went and bought all my gear today. So all I need now is a license and a bike !

I have a load of good quality compression gear (heat & cold) from sport so they should help me manage it.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Fair play you did the right thing, I did the exact same thing that you did. I bought all my gear first and then I got my bike....so many people spend all they have on the bike and leave themselves scrimping on the gear and settling for cheaper alternatives.

Good man, anything nice?

Not really. Just run of the mill stuff but my helmet has LED lights built into it. I think it's a shark shawlk or something like that. I will look like something out of Tron.

Flynn, that's not run of the mill, that's awesome! I want one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement