Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by uninsured driver

Options
  • 06-05-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever been hit by an uninsured driver in the past and how it all worked out with insurance company etc.

2-3k worth of damage to car after being hit by uninsured driver.im fully comp so claim will have to go through my insurance and then my insurance company (RSA) will pursue with MIBI from there.

My policy is up for renewal next month and I'm sure RSA won't have closed out everything with MIBI by then so I'm wondering what way my premium might or will be impacted seeing as there will still be an open claim active .

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The MIBI agreement is that your NCB should not be affected and there should be no adverse increase in premium. Your NCB letter is likely to mention the incident, but make sure it refers to it being a MIBI related claim, to allow potential alternative insurers see it for what it is. Having said that, there is no requirement that an alternative insurer has to accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Unfortunately, it's just one of those things that will inevitably increase your premium through no fault of your own. Sure, you keep your NCB, but you've been in an accident and somehow you're a higher risk even though someone else hit you.

What's worse, is that the insured person gets screwed when an uninsured driver hits them. And when an insured person hits an uninsured driver, the uninsured can claim. Blatantly obvious that changes are needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

The MIBI agreement is that your NCB should not be affected and there should be no adverse increase in premium. Your NCB letter is likely to mention the incident, but make sure it refers to it being a MIBI related claim, to allow potential alternative insurers see it for what it is. Having said that, there is no requirement that an alternative insurer has to accept it

Thanks for this.i suppose I'm just looking at how my quote is going to be impacted next month given that the case with MIBI wont be closed out by then.is there anyway I can get a statement from the guards etc and submit this to the insurance company confirming I was hit by an uninsured driver and so my premium and NCB can be retained even though the claim will not be fully closed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Thanks for this.i suppose I'm just looking at how my quote is going to be impacted next month given that the case with MIBI wont be closed out by then.is there anyway I can get a statement from the guards etc and submit this to the insurance company confirming I was hit by an uninsured driver and so my premium and NCB can be retained even though the claim will not be fully closed out

Once your insurers have official confirmation that the other driver is uninsured, they should handle the claim on the basis that it part of the MIBI agreement and it should not affect your bonus, even if it is still open

Advertisement