Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 3 - Tortoli to Cagliari ,148Km

Options
  • 06-05-2017 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

So after what have been 2 pretty long dull stages so far I think stage 3 may throw up a few twists. I know on paper it looks like it will be another win for Greipel ..and much and all as I like the Gorilla and would want him to stay in pink I am praying for the cross winds blowing in from the coast that are very probable

4lQOza8.jpg?1

vrYrF2E.jpg?1

So although the sprinters look like the likeliest winners I think the GC guys need to be aware ....Zakarin and Kruijswijk have already lost time (20 and 14 seconds respectively and every seconds counts ). Could be a very nervous peloton

Live on Eurosport at 12.15pm

 Cycling Podcast for stage 2
    https://audioboom.com/posts/5893681-giro-stage-2-olbia-tortoli

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I could of course just look it up but instead, in the hope of generating some fiery chit-chat here, I'll lay my ignorance on the line and ask - are they still in Sardinia or is Cagliari on the mainland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Still on sardinia. Not on the mainland til Wednesday - tuesdays stage is on sicily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I am loving Sean Kelly reference to the riders "rocking up" to the ferry at the last minute :)

retalivity wrote: »
    Still on sardinia. Not on the mainland til Wednesday - tuesdays stage is on sicily.

Giving everyone plenty on the logistics side of things so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are jerseys and shorts a thing of the past for the pros? Most seem to be wearing some sort of skin suit.

EDIT Looking again they might be just proper race fit - unlike mine :pac:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Hey up

Things are looking up...no need to post any more of my singing videos for your pleasure

https://twitter.com/gcntweet/status/861212927700979716

Lots of punctures going on

Same Bennett off the back

• Advertisement

Great last 10km. Gaviria took the sprint but some ride from bob jungels

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

neris wrote: »
    Same Bennett off the back

Sam unfortunately sick :(

RobFowl wrote: »

Again

Great by Quick Step over the last 10km . Helicopter caught a nice shot of Gavira being patted on the back by his Bora rival just after the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

RobFowl wrote: »

There's a mí-adh on him in grand tours

Seven Worlds will Collide

Bob Jungels was the ride of the day

Poor Greipel got up to the front but looked like his chain came off

Geraint Thomas chasing by himself.....also looks amasingly strong....may run out of it if he is not careful ...its 3 weeks and there are lots to come

That was fantastic. Quikstep yet again show themselves to be the soul of racing. How can they always be the ones to kick things off in those conditions?! 6 men in that small grou & delighted they were rewarded with the stage win from Gaviria there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Geraint Thomas chasing by himself.....also looks amasingly strong....may run out of it if he is not careful ...its 3 weeks and there are lots to come

Chasing by himself but going nowhere and mopped up quickly by bunch !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Great by Quick Step over the last 10km . Helicopter caught a nice shot of Gavira being patted on the back by his Bora rival just after the line.

Gaviria showed his thanks by almost taking him down by cutting across his front wheel :D

Quickstep sure love their crosswinds. Jungels is an animal.

Big effort by Thomas for no reward?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

what an amazing effort by quickstep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Jungels is massive!

Great ride by him, but I'm still surprised that more teams are not quicker to react. I mean every team has access to the same information, they know when the road will turn, the wind direction etc. I guess Quickstep are setup more for a classics style of racing with big strong guys while others have a lot of light climbers who can't take the wind.

Praise too for Rob hatch of Eurosport for holding the fort for hours of daily coverage. I think he does a better job than Kirby, in particular when there is a slow stage and doesn't resort to Kirby's nonsense. He will be looking for to the rest day as much as the riders I guess!

velo.2010 wrote: »

Praise too for Rob hatch of Eurosport for holding the fort for hours of daily coverage. I think he does a better job than Kirby, in particular when there is a slow stage and doesn't resort to Kirby's nonsense. He will be looking for to the rest day as much as the riders I guess!

Didn't like hatch 1st few times I heard him on commentary but do think he's good now and fairly down to earth and knows his stuff. Thought he was a bit of a bluffer till heard him on the cycling podcast few times

I was the same, but having suffered Kirby in the last few weeks in Romandie etc I'd much rather Hatch. I do like Brian Smith though.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Stickybottle seem to think Nizzolo was cut off in the sprint, though i'm pretty sure Gaviria had it well won anyway

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/video-quickstep-push-boundaries-giro-gallop-see-think/

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Watched the highlights last night. very enjoyable stage. Eurosport have really upped their game, a good 30 minutes of analysis after the stage, thought Matt Hayman and Brian Smith were very good

Advertisement