Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of shirt: Navy chinos, brown brogue, brown belt

• 07-05-2017 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I am male, early forties, a bit of a belly.
    I am going to a christening of a niece next week.
    As it is warmer weather, I was thinking of skipping the normal suit and tie and going with chinos and shirt. (also I don't really have time to go and buy a new suit).
    I have brown/tan brogue shoes, navy chinos and brown belt.
    I tried on a light blue shirt, but felt like a Garda!
    Any ideas on what colour/pattern of shirt would work with navy chinos?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Don't worry about the belly, people come in all shapes and sizes, if they dress well in clothes that fit their current size properly, they will look good.
    Make sure the shirt is tucked in.
    Suggest, in that combination, for that event, you can't beat a quality white shirt that fits you well.
    If it can take cufflinks all the better, and throw on a subtle pair.
    Also you might be able to pick up a very nice sports jacket, or waistcoat in a charity shop.
    (make sure it's a contrasting colour to the navy chino's, e.g. Light grey / tweed etc. i.e. Don't go for navy or anything dark)
    At christening, you'll look better with a tie than without.
    As an option, a burgundy knitted tie would also go very well with that outfit.
    Keep your socks navy, to match the chinos.
    Make sure your belt matches the shade of your shoes fairly well, and give them a good shine.

Oh and very important, make sure the chinos are the right length. No more than one beak (wrinkle) at the ankle at most. (when standing up straight)
    So many men don't have their trousers fitting the right length these days, and as result they look very scruffy.
    Any alterations place will adjust any trousers/chino's to the correct length inexpensively, and it makes a massive difference to how any trousers look and feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭CarPark2

......... wrote: »
    Don't worry about the belly, people come in all shapes and sizes, if they dress well in clothes that fit their current size properly, they will look good.
    Make sure the shirt is tucked in.
    Suggest, in that combination, for that event, you can't beat a quality white shirt that fits you well.
    If it can take cufflinks all the better, and throw on a subtle pair.
    Also you might be able to pick up a very nice sports jacket, or waistcoat in a charity shop.
    (make sure it's a contrasting colour to the navy chino's, e.g. Light grey / tweed etc. i.e. Don't go for navy or anything dark)
    At christening, you'll look better with a tie than without.
    As an option, a burgundy knitted tie would also go very well with that outfit.
    Keep your socks navy, to match the chinos.
    Make sure your belt matches the shade of your shoes fairly well, and give them a good shine.

Oh and very important, make sure the chinos are the right length. No more than one beak (wrinkle) at the ankle at most. (when standing up straight)
    So many men don't have their trousers fitting the right length these days, and as result they look very scruffy.
    Any alterations place will adjust any trousers/chino's to the correct length inexpensively, and it makes a massive difference to how any trousers look and feel.

Thanks. That is really helpful.
    I saw a colleague last year wearing a navy suit (almost a kind of chino material) with a check shirt (small check) and navy tie. What would you think of that combo?
    I am a bit wary that a white shirt will show off my unfavourable curves ( I am not huge, but have only recently put on the weight, so am not used to dressing for it and probably more conscious of it than I should be - previously all of my shirts were very fitted as I had a flat stomach, but now I am bulging out of those shirts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Navy chinos with brown leathers go with pretty much anything, but the first poster is right, white is a great option, particularly in this weather. The check option is a good one, but if going that route I'd recommend a knit tie, like this one. The contrast in texture will work really well. If you're set on not wearing a jacket, then make sure that your shirt fits really well, and get a tie bar to keep it in place, and make the shirt that little bit more formal for the occasion.

Oh, and please don't worry about your belly. Make sure that things fit your body as it is- don't be tempted to get a bigger size. I used to do that but since I have started buying bespoke shirts that fit me bang on, the difference in compliments I get and how good I feel is mad. I haven't actually lost much weight but things fit me far better. You might need to shop around to accommodate your new shape (slim fits probably aren't your friend much more!) and to make sure nothign pulls anywhere when it fits your neck properly, but go for it. And do think about adding a waistcoat or two. They work great as a slightly more casual option to a suit for something like a christening, but they cover a multitude of sins ;). Penneys menswear has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years, start there!

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Thanks. That is really helpful.
    I saw a colleague last year wearing a navy suit (almost a kind of chino material) with a check shirt (small check) and navy tie. What would you think of that combo?
    I am a bit wary that a white shirt will show off my unfavourable curves ( I am not huge, but have only recently put on the weight, so am not used to dressing for it and probably more conscious of it than I should be - previously all of my shirts were very fitted as I had a flat stomach, but now I am bulging out of those shirts).

That Combo is ok, depending on the event, but check is usually more informal / more casual. Given it's a christening I'd be inclined to stick with the crisp white shirt to be on the safe side. You can't wrong on that occasion. Don't worry about the curves, a baggy/comfort fit shirt will look worse, make you look bigger, and be less comfortable, and you'll battle keeping it tucked in all day. Baby and crumble has given good advice there as well. A waistcoat is a great option, it looks smart, is handy for hot day, keeps the shirt under control, and hides a multitude of sins. The knit tie shown is also spot on.

Thanks very much. You are very helpful.
    What colour waistcoat would go with navy chinos and white shirt?
    Also I have red (ginger) hair. Does that rule out the burgandy tie?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. You are very helpful.
    What colour waistcoat would go with navy chinos and white shirt?

With burgundy knitted tie you'd still be grand. A light to mid gray waistcoat would be nice/easiest to get, avoid any gray too dark, you want it to contrast the navy. Also a lightish brown/sandy tweed waistcoat would be an alternative. Enjoy the day !

Just so that I understand, I assume you mean a waistcoat like one of these:
    http://www.next.ie/en/g503360s3#822843
    http://www.next.ie/en/go51696s3#767130
    http://www.next.ie/en/g50328s1#738077

and not one like this:
    http://www.next.ie/en/g50336s1#126202

The last one, from my uneducated view would look like I took a waistcoat from my three piece suit and wore it with a pair of chinos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Any of those would do, op. The wool type ones are more casual but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I often break my 3 piece suits up and wear the waistcoats on their own with other trousers. It will look less "intentional" perhaps, and like you said look like you've worn a waistcoat from a suit.

if you can mix textures (i.e. A wool or textured waistcoat with chinos, with a silk knit tie) it will look more like you purposefully picked those clothes out. Which again, is a good thing.

But don't stress about it. Navy chinos, brown brogues, brown leather belt, white shirt and a simple tie with a tie bar will look very well at a christening. Just have everything fitting as well as you can and you'll look 10 times better than the guys in crappy suits and workplace ties. You need to make sure you don't look like you've just come from the office! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Can't go wrong with a decent Oxford shirt with chinos. Everyone should have a white, and blue shirt at least hanging around somewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement