Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light on esb pole.

Options
  • 07-05-2017 5:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    There is an esb pole out my back and it is in the perfect location for a light to light the back garden.
    My question is can I mount a light onto it? Or would esb not allow this?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe ask these lads; http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1349

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Nothing to do with electric ireland there only a supplier. You would have to get in touch with ESB networks. Can you post a pic of the pole showing what wires are on it. Some are I'm the definite no no category

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Absolutely no other equipment other than Esbn equipment is permitted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Definitely not and they can come down on you like a ton of bricks for doing so as they would see it as interfering with their plant and equipment which is , as far as I'm aware, a criminal offence!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Pity that. Looks like I'll have to put another pole up. Any ideas on the restrictions on how close to a pole I can be and what max heights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Pity that. Looks like I'll have to put another pole up. Any ideas on the restrictions on how close to a pole I can be and what max heights etc.

I'd tell them what you want to do as it's very dark and they might install one for you.
    Contact you local TD.

Phil.x wrote: »
    I'd tell them what you want to do as it's very dark and they might install one for you.
    Contact you local TD.

No point telling ESB networks your garden is dark they don't have anything to do with public lighting anymore. It's up to each local authority to appoint a contractor to look after the lights in their area. You could plead your case to them but do you think the local authority gives a hoot if your garden is dark lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Phil.x wrote:
    I'd tell them what you want to do as it's very dark and they might install one for you. Contact you local TD.

This is someone's garden? are you seriously suggesting that the op bothers a TD to try to get the ESB or anyone to install light in their private garden because it's dark.

You could get them to put heating into the house because it's cold etc I think it would be a waste of everyone's time and I've possibly missed a joke here apologies if I have.

So you can't install a light on the pole you can't fix your own pole to it for support either , I'm unaware of a defined area around a pole that you can't work or plant around in a garden

The proximity to the pole depends on what type of network the pole is carrying. If the op could post a pic of the pole it would help

I don't have a picture but the pole is dropping the supply to my house. It drops under the garden and the to the meter box so it's the 230 supply.
    Surely I'd be cheeky asking for a street light added to pole? Might be worth a try though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't have a picture but the pole is dropping the supply to my house. It drops under the garden and the to the meter box so it's the 230 supply. Surely I'd be cheeky asking for a street light added to pole? Might be worth a try though

It'll be a waste of your time and theirs. It's not permitted and won't entertained.
    I wouldn't even waste the price of an email on asking.

They have nothing to gain only headaches if they were to allow this to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

If the pole is in your garden charge them rent, or come to an arrangement that they give you a light instead.

longshanks wrote:
    If the pole is in your garden charge them rent, or come to an arrangement that they give you a light instead.

I like this idea, for a double pole the pay rent to a farmer but wonder about a single pole in a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I know a guy who got free television for years from a similar deal. So it can't hurt to ask, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Comparing UPC/OpenEir to ESBN is not apples for apples. ESB are backed by an SI. They pay ground fees to farmers for pylons but try that one for a pole servicing your premises and see how far you get.

longshanks wrote: »

Wow we really have some educated people hanging about in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Wow we really have some educated people hanging about in here.

May aswell get them in to throw in a 3 pin socket on the pole aswell....

Advertisement