Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to invest

Options
  • 07-05-2017 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am planning to go into investing, 80% in safe and 20% in high-risk shares. I am not sure where to start. A friend mentioned that I should deal in ETF.

I am currently in Ireland but plan to move to the UK within a year, would that have any affect on any investing that I start in Ireland?

What broker to go with? I hear that "DEGIRO" is cheap, but are they good? I also hear that "Motley Fool" are a good choice.

The choice is overwhelming for a noob in investing.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 17 hill_walker

its not a good idea to buy anything but funds unless you know how to value companies , i would put two thirds of your money in a global equity fund and the rest in a corporate bond fund as the yields are higher than goverment bonds

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Please dont do anything, UK has much better options for investing e.g. tax efficient ISAs. Forget investing in Ireland if moving to the UK. Degiro are a good cheap online broker alright. Also, there is no such thing as a "safe" stock. If you learn anything from boards, that is the most important. Think BOI, AIB etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Please dont do anything, UK has much better options for investing e.g. tax efficient ISAs. Forget investing in Ireland if moving to the UK. Degiro are a good cheap online broker alright. Also, there is no such thing as a "safe" stock. If you learn anything from boards, that is the most important. Think BOI, AIB etc etc
    The UK ISA is the best savings/investment vehicle in the entire world. Mine has been an absolute godsend for me (tax free dividends are useful now I am coming close to retirement) and saved me a fortune in capital gains tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The UK ISA is the best savings/investment vehicle in the entire world. Mine has been an absolute godsend for me (tax free dividends are useful now I am coming close to retirement) and saved me a fortune in capital gains tax.

Do you need to be UK resident to invest or are they open to anyone? Any taxation here to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Do you need to be UK resident to invest or are they open to anyone? Any taxation here to worry about?

Must be a UK resident.

https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts/overview

• Advertisement
Advertisement