Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of year to sell house

Options
  • 07-05-2017 9:52am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My self and the wife are thinking of selling up. We have applied for a mortgagee and have been approved in principal (both changed jobs recently so have to be made permeant which will be in a couple of weeks).

It just dawned on us that the summer may not be the best time to sell.

When are the best times to put a house on the market?

Also any views on selling the property privately with out an estate agent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was told the end of summer and start of year, but in this climate anytime seems good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

godtabh wrote: »

I can't think why the summer wouldn't be a good time?

I guess a few people may be pre-occupied with holidays but there's no shortage of buyers at the moment.

If your property has a garden it's likely to have even more appeal during the summer. Dress the BBQ area well ;-)

godtabh wrote: »
    My self and the wife are thinking of selling up. We have applied for a mortgagee and have been approved in principal (both changed jobs recently so have to be made permeant which will be in a couple of weeks).

When are the best times to put a house on the market?

Also any views on selling the property privately with out an estate agent.

Whatever way you go, it's a good idea to get the house professionally cleaned and possibly painted. This will show it at it's best. Having the garden looking it's best will also help. If taking the photos yourself, clear all clutter. Good Luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's a duplex with no garden

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Traditionally "people" have always advised selling at the start of the year (the buyers want to be in by summer) and September (so they can be in by Xmas), but as said, in the current market I think that's all out the door. Whatever you're selling, there will be people lining up to view it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Graham wrote: »
    I can't think why the summer wouldn't be a good time?

I guess a few people may be pre-occupied with holidays but there's no shortage of buyers at the moment.

If your property has a garden it's likely to have even more appeal during the summer. Dress the BBQ area well ;-)

The Summer is a bad time because many people take holidays during the Summer. Solicitors, architects, bank officials and estate agents take holidays with the result that deals get bogged down, potential purchasers are away when the house comes to the market. people also want to take advantage of good weather during the summer and don't want to spend their time going to viewings.Purchasers also prfer to close their deal at particular times of the year, mainly early summer or around the end of the calendar year. The peak selling season is the Spring with another peak in the Autumn.
    Going on the market now means that potential viewers are thinking of their holidays, if they view and make an offer, their surveyor will be available to carry out the survey when he gets back from his holidays, your solicitor will issue the contract when he gets the deeds from the bank, which will be when someone gets back from holidays and so on, and if he hasn't gone on holidays when that happens and the purchasers solicitor is also available to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Sooner the better. Prices are just going up up. Approval in principle normally only last for 6 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sooner the better. Prices are just going up up. Approval in principle normally only last for 6 months.

Depends on the location. Regional prices are soaring- but Dublin seems to have peaked- or is only growing at a very slow pace. Its quite startling how the Dublin property market has divorced itself from the rest of the country.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I think estate agents making selling your home sound cyclical is just BS. If you want to buy a home, you aren't going to decide not to buy just because it is the summer

I would sell sooner in the year though, as banks tend to get more picky on who to give mortgages towards the end of the year as they might be running out of mortgage cap exemptions. AFAIK from the papers, banks tend to run out of their exemptions towards the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Estate agents are just saying how they see footfall through their doors. It's not in their interest to say anytime is quieter than another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Estate agents are just saying how they see footfall through their doors. It's not in their interest to say anytime is quieter than another.

Flipside of the coin- is show me a solicitor's office that either isn't fully closed- or seriously curtailed for the month of August. The country doesn't close down in August like it once used do- but its not running on all 4 cylinders either.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Summer is as good a time as any though I would not expect a lot to happen in July and August for the reasons outlined above. Realistically you have to allow 3 months to complete a house sale even in a string sellers' market. But it could well take six or nine months.

I think December and January are the really slow months for property.

Re selling the property yourself:

It might work if you are very knowledgeable about the property market, AND you have plenty time on your hands. I think the agent is worth it for people in your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jessica879

Sell a house anytime of the year - the sooner the better if you want to get on with your own life. The agents in Ireland like to kick back over the holidays - the have no way of managing inquiries while out of the office unlike in the UK and US - where the agents have dynamic websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If the current house in on the high end of the market, start of the year. Get those exemptions in to drive the price up.

Advertisement