Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair extensions disappearing

Options
  • 07-05-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi advice needed. I've had pre bonded hair extensions the last 4 months but for the last month the thickness and length is gone so much that everyone is asking me if I've had the extensions taken out or cut! Has anyone else had this same experience? I've googled so many forums and blogs and not seen the same problem.

In the beginning they would get very knotted when washing and then loads of hair would be on the ground and on the brush. They never came out from the bond though. This was the way for about two months.

I originally got the microbead ones but over half of them slipped out in a few weeks. I want more extensions and preferred the pre bonded ones but just don't know what to do. It's a bit ridiculous that my extensions have shrunk!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Where did you get them done? How long are you meant to keep them in?

I've had several sets done over the years, most recently with Easilocks, and I finally just gave up - they ended up damaging my own hair, and the longer I had them in, the less of a difference they seemed to make.

I got my hair cut just past my chin and it looks so much healthier now.

Sorry I don't have much advice! Maybe give the place a call? But I think at 4 months, the extensions may be "over the hill," so to speak, and are shedding/thinning out?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keanocar

I got them done in Longford in a salon which does them regularly. They told me 4-6 months they'd last but that more they would annoy me with the bonds hanging down low. Never mentioned they'd shrink/disappear.

They've only lasted 3 months I'd say as I've just put up with them the last month as still slightly longer than my own hair.

I'll contact them tomorrow but really want more extensions but both seem to have been disastrous for me.

keanocar wrote: »
    I got them done in Longford in a salon which does them regularly. They told me 4-6 months they'd last but that more they would annoy me with the bonds hanging down low. Never mentioned they'd shrink/disappear.

They've only lasted 3 months I'd say as I've just put up with them the last month as still slightly longer than my own hair.

I'll contact them tomorrow but really want more extensions but both seem to have been disastrous for me.

Yeah, after having several sets done, I have concluded that you really need to invest a lot of time and money into having them look good - i.e. monthly visits, etc. In any case, I hope the salon are able to help you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Hi, curious what kinda damage you felt they done and how many you had in? I have been super paranoid ever since using extensions[/quote]

After getting several sets done (usually with a 6-12 months break in between, this is over a number of years), the last time I got my Easilocks taken out, I was shocked by how "shredded" my ends were. My roots and the top part of my hair were fine, but the ends - the parts my my hair that had had extensions clamped on to them time and again - were so damaged and wispy, I could have wrapped a hairband around them 20 times!

Chopped off the damaged ends and it looked so much better.

• Advertisement

With hair extensions, I think service providers tell you what you want to hear, ie they won't cause damage, they'll last 6 months if you look after them, etc. Everyone is different, but I've learned my lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

I have very thick, long hair now but I cut it shorter three years ago, really regretted it and got Easilocks extensions. I had them in for about 10 months.

I had so many issues with them. Firstly they slid out non stop. The girl in Easilocks tried to tell me it might be because my hair was "too fine" for them; I have the equivalent of about three heads of regular hair on my head! So that was rubbish. Then I was told that my hair follicles were "too smooth" for the bonds. I was there about once a month getting 10 to 15 extensions reattached each time.

Then there was the shedding issue. The hair that you normally would shed gets caught in the bonds. Gradually it becomes noticeable and you can actually see the little hair bulbs of the shedded hair at each bond. It was absolutely rank. And I'd fill a little bucket with the caught shedded hair each time I got them changed. Again; totally gross.

For the first time in my life after I got them removed, my hair felt thinner. There's a psychological component to it as well (you're used to a superhuman amount of hair) but I KNOW, regardless of all reassurance by Easilocks on Store St, that they broke my hair. It fully recovered but it took a while.

The likes of Rosanna Davison and the bloggers who have extensions get them for free. They're in for maintenance every month at the very least. I would never, ever risk them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Oh god im shuck up after reading all these. I have them in almost a year. Only 50 so they are natural looking. My hair at the root feels fine when they are out but the rest definitely feels like nothing. Im too embarrassed to get them out that I am going to gradually get less and less in each time 50 then 40 etc.

Aww I TOTALLY understand how you feel! I felt like everyone would think I looked worse without them. Tbh every single person I know told me I looked better. I think they can become a bit of a crutch emotionally. I thought they seriously elevated my appearance but in hindsight, it was really that they gave me a transient spurt of confidence. Which was soon overpowered by constant anxiety about them.

Any damage sustained was probably only noticeable to me and fully resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

I can relate to this so much! I had them in a few years ago..and in hindsight I cringe what I looked like and I spent so much time keeping them in looking good with shampoos, maintenance etc. The last set i got just seemed to fall out and disappear in a few weeks (the hair was just shedding and shedding) and that was it! A total waste of money. But when I took them out I felt self conscious and bald and my hair was very damaged. But I stuck with it and got regular treatments and cuts and it was the best decision ever not to put them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

What treatments would you recommend for damaged hair?

If you highlighted/bleached hair (maybe this might work for dyed hair too) try Olaplex you can get it done in salon when you get colour and then you can buy a bottle to use at home every two weeks. I found not washing as much and then when you do - putting some aragon oil into your dry hair overnight before washing out next morning. That worked for me..it took a few months. But worth it.

Advertisement