Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike choice for a newbie

Options
  • 07-05-2017 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new mountain bike (newbie). My budget is circa €1000-€1600. I have these bikes in mind and was hoping any experts out there might offer an opinion or suggestions, these are in order of increasing price:

Cannondale Cujo 1 - https://goo.gl/ma1mpW
    Cannondale Beast of the East 3 - https://goo.gl/1u6BKi
    Lapierre Edge+ 327 - https://goo.gl/RfU7mc

I have attached a comparison spreadsheet image to help.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

For your budget, perhaps also take a look at the Bird Zero AM-NX and AM20 offerings, both of which come in just under €1600 according to currency conversion by xe.com. You can change the specs obviously but that's up to you. What I will say is that the prices they charge for parts is very good compared to what you could expect buying said parts seperately.

From the three you've listed, I'd probably lean towards the Lapierre myself. What sort of riding are you hoping to do? How frequently? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dluby

Hi Lemming, thanks for your prompt reply.

I intend to do a bit of trailing, nothing too serious as I ain't too young :( I'd hope to get out at least twice a week for a few hours at a time.

I want to get the bike on the Irish bike to work scheme so I can't buy from outside of Ireland but thanks for the links.

I was leaning towards the Lapierre because of the dropper post but it's over €200 more than the Cujo 1. Is it you prefer the Lapierre for the better components or you thinks it's a better manufacturer over Cannondale?

Thanks again.

dluby wrote: »
    I was leaning towards the Lapierre because of the dropper post but it's over €200 more than the Cujo 1. Is it you prefer the Lapierre for the better components or you thinks it's a better manufacturer over Cannondale?

I'd consider Lapierre as having a better pedigree when it comes to mountain bikes. Not to dismiss Cannondale as they've been around as far back as I can remember (and I was around mountain biking back in the early 90s ... ). The component mix is better on the Lapierre overall anyway, and the dropper post is a bonus which whilst not winning any awards will make you wonder how you ever did without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

dluby wrote: »
    Hi Lemming, thanks for your prompt reply.

I intend to do a bit of trailing, nothing too serious as I ain't too young :( I'd hope to get out at least twice a week for a few hours at a time.

I want to get the bike on the Irish bike to work scheme so I can't buy from outside of Ireland but thanks for the links.

Thanks again.
    Just so you know (you may do already), this is only a restriction if your employer imposes it (i.e. nothing in law to stop "imports" for BTW). If the employer is willing to buy from outside Ireland, so long as the correct Irish VAT is paid (and many suppliers like Canyon, CRC, Wiggle already take care of this) that's completely legit. Obviously your employer may not want to deal with the perceived inconvenience of such purchases though.

cython wrote: »
    Just so you know (you may do already), this is only a restriction if your employer imposes it (i.e. nothing in law to stop "imports" for BTW). If the employer is willing to buy from outside Ireland, so long as the correct Irish VAT is paid (and many suppliers like Canyon, CRC, Wiggle already take care of this) that's completely legit. Obviously your employer may not want to deal with the perceived inconvenience of such purchases though.

Cheers for that cython; if (or possibly 'when' given how #wrexsh1t is looking right now ... ) I head back home that's useful to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

I notice your present location is Bray, take a spin up to the biking.IE lads and check out their offerings.
    you can even take it for a spin first to make sure you like it on the trails.

not in anyway associated with Biking.ie other than support your local bike shops...

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I would also recommend checking out biking.ie first. Two of the bikes you linked to are Hardtails and one is a Full Suspension. I'd recommend deciding first of all which type you want, and then take it from there. A 120mm hardtail will be ideal for the Coillte trails in the likes of Ballinastoe or Ticknock. But some day you're going to get curious about the 'offshoot' trails that lead off from the main ones. And when you head off down them you might be glad of the Full Suss!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dluby

Bogmanfan\jmrc, myself and the family were actually up in Ballinastoe on Saturday and rented a hardtail and we'd a blast :)

I stupidly paid no attention to the make\model of the bike but it certainly suited my needs (at least for the moment). I'll contact the guys at Biking.ie to see what it was we used. It certainly confirmed that I'd like to buy my own and thus my original posting.

I do wish to buy locally and I've already made contact with my local bike shops but sometimes it's nice to get independent advice from guys like yourselves.
    But some day you're going to get curious about the 'offshoot' trails that lead off from the main ones. And when you head off down them you might be glad of the Full Suss!

I look forward to the 'offshoots' but I can't afford a full suspension. The rest of the family want to go again so maybe someday I can upgrade and pass mine HT onto one of them! Renting 5 bikes at €30 each (you get a 6th free) proves a bit expensive :(
    I'd consider Lapierre as having a better pedigree when it comes to mountain bikes. Not to dismiss Cannondale as they've been around as far back as I can remember (and I was around mountain biking back in the early 90s ... ). The component mix is better on the Lapierre overall anyway, and the dropper post is a bonus which whilst not winning any awards will make you wonder how you ever did without one.

This is very useful to know and the guy in my LBS said the same about the dropper post.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply.

Advertisement