Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a 6 wt line on a 6/7 wt line

Options
  • 07-05-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I have 9ft 6/7 wt fly rod combo (budget starter kit from Airflo). I swapped the line out for a Barrio wf 7 which is a nice line. I kind of feel a bit over gunned for lough fishing as I understand most people use 5 or 6 weights. Would there be any advantage in me switching to a 6 line? Also, I understand folk usually go for the heavier line rating so if I did switch to a 6 , might it not cast so well? Essentially I suppose I'm wondering is a 6/7 wt really a 7 Wt? I find for example that a lot of spinning rods might be rated 10 -60 gm when they,d be useless fishing a 10 gm lure on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

mattcullen wrote: »
    I have 9ft 6/7 wt fly rod combo (budget starter kit from Airflo). I swapped the line out for a Barrio wf 7 which is a nice line. I kind of feel a bit over gunned for lough fishing as I understand most people use 5 or 6 weights. Would there be any advantage in me switching to a 6 line? Also, I understand folk usually go for the heavier line rating so if I did switch to a 6 , might it not cast so well? Essentially I suppose I'm wondering is a 6/7 wt really a 7 Wt? I find for example that a lot of spinning rods might be rated 10 -60 gm when they,d be useless fishing a 10 gm lure on them.

6wt would be a better option for the dry fly fishing, but I think the 7wt line should be fine for trad wet fishing. Aslong as your casts a very good there shouldn't be a problem most lads use a 10ft 7wt in big loughs too! Maybe get a spare spool with the 6wt line on it for drys

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mattcullen

6wt would be a better option for the dry fly fishing, but I think the 7wt line should be fine for trad wet fishing. Aslong as your casts a very good there shouldn't be a problem most lads use a 10ft 7wt in big loughs too! Maybe get a spare spool with the 6wt line on it for drys

Thanks for the reply. will the line itself aid presentation even using the same rod do you think? Is it that the heavier line disturbs the water?

Well yes normally I'd use a 6wt for dry fly especially for the mayfly, the 7wt line will load easier as it would have a more aggressive taper if you know what I'm on about!

I know what you mean yeah, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Use 7wf for wets on the loughs 6DT for mayfly and 5DT for smuts and smaller flys saying that i carry 4 rods in the boat set up, saves the hassel of changing flys and leaders .

• Advertisement

Cheers, I have a 5wt set up for river fishing so I think I might pick up a 10 ft 5wt Shakepeare Agility. They're cheap enough, I hear they're good and it means I won't need a whole new set up (line, reel and rod). Thanks for the advice. Should probably do some fishing instead of just thinking about it all the time!

Agility rods are very good I have a 10ft 7wt, one problem I have found is that after a long day casting the tip seems to fall off, just a minor problem just have to tighten it back up and it's fine.

Agility rods are very good I have a 10ft 7wt, one problem I have found is that after a long day casting the tip seems to fall off, just a minor problem just have to tighten it back up and it's fine.

That's sound, good to hear. Don't reckon this weather, nice as it is, would be great for the mayfly fishing would it. Itching to get out!

No problem For the mean time If your near a river that has trout, some of the rivers I fish are having massive amounts of hatches spinners, and the odd mayfly class fishing from 9pm till dusk!

No problem For the mean time If your near a river that has trout, some of the rivers I fish are having massive amounts of hatches spinners, and the odd mayfly class fishing from 9pm till dusk!
    Interesting, hadn't thought of the river as have been fixated on getting down to Corrib. I picked up the Agility for 55 quid. Can't go wrong. How do you find the action of the rod? It says on the tube it's fast action but I think reviews say medium / fast

• Advertisement

mattcullen wrote: »
    Interesting, hadn't thought of the river as have been fixated on getting down to Corrib. I picked up the Agility for 55 quid. Can't go wrong. How do you find the action of the rod? It says on the tube it's fast action but I think reviews say medium / fast

Yea the rivers are fishing well even though there a bit low aslong as you go late there's some good fish to be had, as for the action I feel it's a medium action on it, throws good loops with my Rio gold line! Very decent rod for the price a lot of lads have them

Nice one, cheers

have 3 agilitys 2 91/2 6weights and 1 10 7weights and a hardy demon 10 6 weight no difference, shakespears agilitys as good as you get.

blackpearl wrote: »
    have 3 agilitys 2 91/2 6weights and 1 10 7weights and a hardy demon 10 6 weight no difference, shakespears agilitys as good as you get.
    That's a good endorsement great price from South side Angling too 55 squids

How do you improve on them just got the agility 2 last week had a 51/4 lb on buzzer on sheelin sat night handled the fish top class trows a great line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Mattcullen was it an agility 2 you got? - €55 is crazy cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Use 7wf for wets on the loughs 6DT for mayfly and 5DT for smuts and smaller flys saying that i carry 4 rods in the boat set up, saves the hassel of changing flys and leaders .

Slight unrelated tangent to this message, we were stopped by fisheries officers today on the corrib for having more than 3 rods in the boat at once. Didn't even know this was a rule! Anyway back on topic... 6/7 rod I was always told suits a dt7 or a wf6. The rule never failed me over the years.

viper123 wrote: »
    Slight unrelated tangent to this message, we were stopped by fisheries officers today on the corrib for having more than 3 rods in the boat at once. Didn't even know this was a rule! Anyway back on topic... 6/7 rod I was always told suits a dt7 or a wf6. The rule never failed me over the years.
    yea under law your only allowed two rods stupid but makes sense with bait fishermen

During mayfly would have up to 6 rods in boat 1 with wet mays 1 with dry greens 2 with spent one with balling buzzers and 1 with murragh often sat talking to fisherie officers even sat with boats togeather drinking tea never a problem they use to slag me over the number of rods never once said about how many rods you are allowed,tell you what saves lods of time changing flys, when big rise of trout on spent if you break in a fish or tangle makes a difference being able to lift a fresh rod with out trying to sort out a new cast and trout comming down a slik and you pulling the hair out of your head.

• Advertisement

Agilitys are rated for one line size the 91/2 6 weight one of them i have a 7 dt on it works well on a windy day when you have to trow behind the boat at a rising fish,or trow a very long line to a trout ,the other one has a 6 dt on it perfect for calmish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Agilitys are rated for one line size the 91/2 6 weight one of them i have a 7 dt on it works well on a windy day when you have to trow behind the boat at a rising fish,or trow a very long line to a trout ,the other one has a 6 dt on it perfect for calmish weather.

The agilities are rated from 3 to 10# - or have I picked you up wrong?

ardinn wrote: »
    The agilities are rated from 3 to 10# - or have I picked you up wrong?
    Kind off you no the way some makes of fly rods are rated 5 to 6, 6 to 7 ,7 to eight ect the agilities have only one line rateing on them and your right they are rated from 3 to 10.

How do you improve on them just got the agility 2 last week had a 51/4 lb on buzzer on sheelin sat night handled the fish top class trows a great line.

Wow, fantastic fish, fair play

yea under law your only allowed two rods stupid but makes sense with bait fishermen

Nope. Three rods max in boat was what we were told. I'm not talking about a single angler fishing with more than two rods. The rule on corrib as we were informed is no more than three rods in total present in boat irrespective of the number of anglers. I'd usually have up to four with me on my own!

The rod I got was an Agility not an Agility 2: https://southsideangling.ie/product/shakespeare-agility-fly-rod/

Interesting re the line ratings. I've a wf 7 on my 6/7 wt so actually it seems it would probably be more suited to a wf 6 or dt 7. Likewise if a rod is just rated 5 for example, it seems you could probably use a 5 wf or a 6 dt.

Begs the question, would there be any point going up a line rating from a wf to a dt to try and deal with windy conditions or heavier flies?

Also, what about intermediate lines then? Would they be heavier than a floater and require a more cautious approach?

It would be ify with an inter to be honest.. I would try and stick with the WT rating Even tho I used a 5wt di3 on a 7wt rod When there was no other option and was fine. As for windy conditions you think it would work But i wouldnt go over the rating (eg. the rod is a 6wt) I wouldnt use an 8wt but the 7wt should work fine.

Nope. Three rods max in boat was what we were told. I'm not talking about a single angler fishing with more than two rods. The rule on corrib as we were informed is no more than three rods in total present in boat irrespective of the number of anglers. I'd usually have up to four with me on my own!

No harm but 95% of fisherie officers would not no the difference between a spinning rod and fly rod and this rule has to apply to spinning and bait rods not fly rods and if it does well thats sad thank god their is no ****e rules like that on sheelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The law states it is illegal to have more than 3 rods mounted in a boat when spinning, trolling or bait fishing. You can have as many fly rods set up as you want. Mounted means ready to fish - hook attached to line, etc. If everything is ready but the hook or leader is not yet clipped on, it is not mounted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Zzippy wrote: »
    The law states it is illegal to have more than 3 rods mounted in a boat when spinning, trolling or bait fishing. You can have as many fly rods set up as you want. Mounted means ready to fish - hook attached to line, etc. If everything is ready but the hook or leader is not yet clipped on, it is not mounted.[/quote

Zippy does this apply to all loughs on a national basis or just the corrib? I'd be interested to see the bye law concerned....

Advertisement