Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Boards so quiet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thin skins is certainly one of the issues that goes hand in hand with overmodding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Don't fall into this trap of pointless arguing and allow them have the thread closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Gavinz wrote: »
    Don't fall into this trap of pointless arguing and allow them have the thread closed.

Sure they're intentionally baiting us, its all pre-orchestrated :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Good luck lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

In the midst of all of this, it might be nice for everyone to stop for a minute and read this

Link

And remind yourselves, or realise for the first time, or whatever, just know that there is still a chance that Boards can become what it once was, a community of individuals who are actually in 99.99% of cases just decent humans. Does it matter that your politics are slightly left of mine? No it doesn't. Does it matter if you support a different football team to me? Nope.

What actually matters is people coming together, banding together, to make other people's lives better. Or enjoy a cycle or a game of football, or have a few pints with like minded people.

That's what Boards is to me, and it's a damn shame that it's becoming less and less like that every day.

A damn shame.

• Advertisement

Good luck lads.

So really, you are the one baiting in this thread.

Yeah, good luck.

So really, you are the one baiting in this thread.

Yeah, good luck.

Nah, just not bothered with the self righteous fury and accusations of leftism- again proving my point. It doesn't matter of the post I quoted was implying left or right was without values. It matters that he felt he had to insult SOMEONE.

I was very careful to point out I have no interest in left or right in the context of this thread. I have interest in either being inserted into threads... and, much like that one, it is here now. You all sling accusation of trendy lefty mod all you want.

This is a real problem for people who want to talk about things outside of it.

So yes, good luck, I'll pop my head back in a few days when the usual people have all gone off to some other thread.

Nobody was insulted. It was a light hearted thread about shallow reasons for breaking up with someone.

YOU projected some perceived malfeasance onto a pretty small interaction, implied that it was going to pull the thread off into some imagined diection, when it did no such thing.

Then you start accusing people of "willful ignorance" for questioning that.

It's insane what a bit of Bold lettering will let you get away with, really.

Nobody was insulted. It was a light hearted thread about shallow reasons for breaking up with someone.

YOU projected some perceived malfeasance onto a pretty small interaction, implied that it was going to pull the thread off into some imagined diection, when it did no such thing.

To be honest people will get offended by anything and everything. Then the mods will happily swoop in the defend their sensitivities. It confuses me when I hear people say that mods/users are generally older people. With the amount of mollycoddling that is encouraged its far more college/safe zone teenlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nah, just not bothered with the self righteous fury and accusations of leftism- again proving my point. It doesn't matter of the post I quoted was implying left or right was without values. It matters that he felt he had to insult SOMEONE.

I was very careful to point out I have no interest in left or right in the context of this thread. I have interest in either being inserted into threads... and, much like that one, it is here now. You all sling accusation of trendy lefty mod all you want.

This is a real problem for people who want to talk about things outside of it.

So yes, good luck, I'll pop my head back in a few days when the usual people have all gone off to some other thread.

Hello.

It is I, Your Face, the user of whom you used as an example of whatever it was you were trying prove.

Im not getting to an argument, as I have a job and have also invested in my education.

That said, your take on my posts were ball-bouncingly incorrect and naively interpreted.

What was meant as simple Pre-Horatian satire, was misunderstood, bastardized and used to project your own personal paradigm.

Love and sandwiches,
    Your Face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thin skins is certainly one of the issues that goes hand in hand with overmodding.

It's sad how a varied and diverse group of individuals (i.e. mods) can be tarred with the same brush and accused of thin skins when there's such a hypocritical level of the same problem on the "other side".

So many of those who complain the most hide behind "attack the post and not the poster" because they know their own behaviour is dodgy. They're using semantics to twist the spirit of a rule that used to be founded on the mantra of "don't be a dick".

I would suggest that some of those posters should educate themselves on logical fallacies and the art of debating, but I believe many of them are deliberately using dirty tactics just for sport. It's becoming clearer by the day that some folks are only here hoping to see a moderator, any "mod", get a public slap on the wrist. The real feedback is getting lost behind the WUMs and (malicious) re-regs.

It's sad how a varied and diverse group of individuals (i.e. mods) can be tarred with the same brush and accused of thin skins when there's such a hypocritical level of the same problem on the "other side".

So many of those who complain the most hide behind "attack the post and not the poster" because they know their own behaviour is dodgy. They're using semantics to twist the spirit of a rule that used to be founded on the mantra of "don't be a dick".

I would suggest that some of those posters should educate themselves on logical fallacies and the art of debating, but I believe many of them are deliberately using dirty tactics just for sport. It's becoming clearer by the day that some folks are only here hoping to see a moderator, any "mod", get a public slap on the wrist. The real feedback is getting lost behind the WUMs and (malicious) re-regs.

? I was providing feedback in a feedback thread but its not "real"?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Actually I was implying you're not a troll. You were deliberately saying that holding a position gives people worth. I know you were being sincere, and obviously I came across wrong there. I even thanked your post :)

The reason I mentioned you by name is your posts earlier had vanished and I didn't want it to look like I was laying into from out of nowhere, apologies if it appeared otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I would suggest that some of those posters should educate themselves on logical fallacies and the art of debating

Maybe you should add some rules that say users need to have a certificate on 'logical fallacies and the art of debating' before posting, otherwise they could face a ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I am not a mod here.

I am doing what you are supposed to do in feedback.

Thanks for trying to pervert that into attack the mod though, that's super helpful.

And who said you were a mod here??

No problem. It's always good to shine a light on diversion off topic singling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Has there really been an argument over the last couple of pages about something that didn't actually happen? It's like the physical manifestation of those imaginary arguments people mutter to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I see permabear has deleted his posts in this thread, but here is a perfect example of what I am talking about, and I am finding it making it difficult to enjoy.

There is a thread on AH right now about "shallow reasons you'd leave someone". That's the classic makings of a funny AH thread.

Im following this(feedback, unless we've our lines crossed thread not the shallow reasons for f *ckin off thread.)Permabear had valid points on this one. As for the latter thread I agree.It has/had potential. Beats the sh*t outta threads with titles along the lines of 'why is water wet etc.' filling up the front page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

No AH thread yet on Enda Kenny's resignation (on the first page at least when I looked just now). :eek: Things are quiet around here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Murrisk wrote: »
    No AH thread yet on Enda Kenny's resignation (on the first page at least when I looked just now). :eek: Things are quiet around here.

Most AH regulars know that will be sent to the politics cafe, where we have a very active thread on the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Stheno wrote: »
    Most AH regulars know that will be sent to the politics cafe, where we have a very active thread on the subject

Even so, something like this would have had a concurrent busy AH thread only a few short years ago, without any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stheno wrote: »

the one from Feb that doesn't really give any indication that he's just currently decided to actually go? Am i supposed to know that this thread suddenly has some actual basis apart from the speculation that's been in it for the past 3 months or so?

That's a stretch IMO. I think a title change at least would make it relevant, if not an entirely new thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

This is the problem exactly! Why can't there be a good an honest discussion in the cafe and leave fun and random discussions about it pop up in AH. Who cares if 3-4 threads pop up there. 1 will probably take off and let it! Let the people talk and have fun for christ sake!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Books4you wrote: »
    This is the problem exactly! Why can't there be a good an honest discussion in the cafe and leave fun and random discussions about it pop up in AH. Who cares if 3-4 threads pop up there. 1 will probably take off and let it! Let the people talk and have fun for christ sake!

Do you really want to visit a forum site where the same topic pops up 3 or 4 times in different threads? To new users it just looks unorganized and would put people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

Loughc wrote: »
    Do you really want to visit a forum site where the same topic pops up 3 or 4 times in different threads? To new users it just looks unorganized and would put people off.

As I said if 1 then takes off then after say 24 hours close the others. If 2 take off and there are good/fun chats going on what's the harm? Really don't get the 'there would be chaos' argument.
    And let's be honest, I wouldn't be worried about new users. Maybe they should just try and keep who they have first!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Murrisk wrote: »
    Even so, something like this would have had a concurrent busy AH thread only a few short years ago, without any doubt.

And a few short years ago we had plenty of posters complaining that AH was dominated by politics.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement