Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Boards so quiet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Calhoun wrote: »
    It got deleted because it got way out of hand, folk that didnt like that others were talking about the negligence side of it were losing their minds. Contrasting it to a thread on travellers and other such things, one user even only posted to say the thread should be closed.

The modding itself as usual piss poor, and rather than stop the debate altogether if they didnt want it to be discussed at all they just hand out bans.

It's such an utter waste of that other mods time though who reviewed the thread and tried to keep it on track.

And in the end it's just deleted because 4/5 posters threw a wobbler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

You said they got ban. I'm not sure what you're arguing here. You said it's fine because they will be banned but its worth it. Now you're saying so they got a warning it's been dealt with.

Ban, infraction, whatever. Infractions lead to bans if you get enough of them. Past record is taken into account. Basically, nobody can directly insult someone on boards and get away with it. And nobody did get away with it on that thread.

And, the "worth it" thing, well that was an aside. I'll happily take an infraction or ban if I felt it was worth it. I'm happy for the rules to be applied, no special treatment.
    So I wouldn't take my queue from what the majority of people in an AH thread do at any given time if I was you...

Cue. ;)

Rodin wrote: »
    I can't believe the censorship on this website.

Any opinion, no matter how articulately put, which offends the masses, is frowned upon.

A thread on the death by negligence of a poor 7mo baby girl was closed because some dissenting voices stated the father was to blame for the death... which he was.

So many feel for the family, but when attention is drawn to the awful suffering the child endured, (which is the reason I personally am angry at the negligent father) some delicate souls deem it 'too graphic'.

What ever happened to differing opinions?

Well, firstly, there were tonnes of posts voicing "dissenting opinions" right from the start.

Secondly, many people referenced the baby and her suffering.

Just because people strongly oppose your point doesn't mean you are being drowned out. "Shouting down" is such a lazy, overused, whingy concept. There is no obligation for anyone to agree with what you or anyone posts.

A majority opinion isn't necessarily a wrong one either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Northerngal

Calhoun wrote: »
    It got deleted because it got way out of hand, folk that didnt like that others were talking about the negligence side of it were losing their minds. Contrasting it to a thread on travellers and other such things, one user even only posted to say the thread should be closed.

The modding itself as usual piss poor, and rather than stop the debate altogether if they didnt want it to be discussed at all they just hand out bans.

The biggest cluster fcuk of a thread I've ever seen on boards.

Nuked actually I posted but don't let that stop you, I wrote "close" after that which I've received a warning for spam and fully accept.

On mods, haven't they been using "soft modding" recently which has really been good for the site from what I've seen and experienced lately here, they're listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Steve wrote: »
    In recent years, boards core ethos has shifted from being steered by people concerned with a great discussion site to more corporate / marketing folks concerned with the site paying for itself through ad and talk to revenue.

This annoys me a lot. Need to increase the revenue to pay for additional staff to redesign the site into something that's infinitely worse than it used to be, driving away a lot of users and thus requiring even more revenue generation to keep it going through loss of subs and ad revenue.

I mean 3 devs (from about us page) to do what exactly? Thats a **** load of cash to find.

• Advertisement

The biggest cluster fcuk of a thread I've ever seen on boards.

Nuked actually I posted but don't let that stop you, I wrote "close" after that which I've received a warning for spam and fully accept.

On mods, haven't they been using "soft modding" recently which has really been good for the site from what I've seen and experienced lately here, they're listening.

Its posters like you spamming crap demanding the thread be locked is what turned it into a cluster ****.

In typical boards fashion then a mod swans in annoyed at having to do something they signed up to do and locks the thread, bans those they disagree with and ignores those throwing the tantrum because there's too many to deal with.

If mods are listening to the likes of you then anyone with an ounce of cop on will be gone from the site pretty quickly.

This annoys me a lot. Need to increase the revenue to pay for additional staff to redesign the site into something that's infinitely worse than it used to be, driving away a lot of users and thus requiring even more revenue generation to keep it going through loss of subs and ad revenue.

I mean 3 devs (from about us page) to do what exactly? Thats a **** load of cash to find.

3 Devs is hardly overkill for a site the size of boards though is it ?

Its posters like you spamming crap demanding the thread be locked is what turned it into a cluster ****.

In typical boards fashion then a mod swans in annoyed at having to do something they signed up to do and locks the thread, bans those they disagree with and ignores those throwing the tantrum because there's too many to deal with.

If mods are listening to the likes of you then anyone with an ounce of cop on will be gone from the site pretty quickly.

Untangle your knickers there, the mod/s done the decent thing and locked/reviewed than reopened and than locked/nuked that cluster fcuk/worse thread I've ever seen here and I'm happy to say I had a part to play in it being locked a second time than nuked, there was, is nothing to debate/discuss in relation to the incident it's tragic and you adding your opinion to it does not help the family, boards or the Irish public in general so back in your box there!

I've never given feedback to boards so the mods definitely don't listen to me so keep your unsubstantiated claims to yourself unless you can back them up! :)

Untangle your knickers there, the mod/s done the decent thing and locked/reviewed than reopened and than locked/nuked that cluster fcuk/worse thread I've ever seen here and I'm happy to say I had a part to play in it being locked a second time than nuked, there was, is nothing to debate/discuss in relation to the incident it's tragic and you adding your opinion to it does not help the family, boards or the Irish public in general so back in your box there!

I've never given feedback to boards so the mods definitely don't listen to me so keep unsubstantiated claims to yourself unless you can back them up!

It was reviewed, a number of posters dealt with and reopened with a message to be civil. Then the same contingent of posters who were insulting posters earlier and got a free pass with additional troops immediately started bitching about how disgusting the thread was and how it should be closed.

And you were just spamming. I thought you were a troll first trying to wind up those asking for it to be closed because your posts were just ridiculous like "nuke it nuke it", "close close close" over and over again. Must have been 6/7/8 posts just chanting crap.

The only reason it was a cluster **** after it was reopened is because the likes of you trowing a tantrum trying to get it closed. One poster was insulting travellers calling them scum and thieves ffs. And the only one to get banned was someone who wasn't acting like an idiot. And he was banned for upsetting the rest of you.

It was absolutely pathetic behavior tbh.

And you were just spamming. I thought you were a troll first trying to wind up those asking for it to be closed because your posts were just ridiculous like "nuke it nuke it", "close close close" over and over again. Must have been 6/7/8 posts just chanting crap.

The only reason it was a cluster **** after it was reopened is because the likes of you trowing a tantrum trying to get it closed. One poster was insulting travellers calling them scum and thieves ffs. And the only one to get banned was someone who wasn't acting like an idiot. And he was banned for upsetting the rest of you.

It was absolutely pathetic behavior tbh.

FYI i also wrote there was/is nothing to be discussed/debated in relation to that thread.

Yes I spammed that thread happily, I took pleasure in it actually, why I hear you ask, because I walk up my stairs today and forgot why I had, I taught of that thread and fcuking cried, Im a grow man FFS it hit deep and to see Irish media name the man had me boiling!

Anyway I might as well leave constructive feedback while I'm here.

The modding has 100℅ improved since this thread had been started, but there are so many others sites traffic was always going to be lower as boards hayday of early 2000 late 2000 it's just the way it is and I would have always taught the mod were geeks sitting in their parents basement in 5 day old manky Y fronts masturbating to old page 3 staches while banning every poster with their right hand they didn't agree with, I've been schooled by alot of them, I've learnt more from boards because I want to learn now!

I think personally of course the moderation here is what makes it for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

I've seen a few times boards staff stating that bullying is taken very seriously, however I have found that this is not true. I made a complaint about bullying and I have received no response about it. The bullying mod has been given free rein to continue their bullying of others.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

as boards hayday of early 2000 late 2000
    Do you mean 2010? The site has grown massively since 2000 (and indeed is perhaps twice as big as it was even around 2007/8)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thelomen Toblackai & Northerngal - Either make your points relevant to the overall discussion or take your argument over a single thread in a single forum to PM.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

I've never given feedback to boards so the mods definitely don't listen to me so keep your unsubstantiated claims to yourself unless you can back them up! :)

that thread is a disgrace and some of the posts were effed up.
    I dont see how that needed to be discussed anywhere, a work colleague started talking to me about it Friday and I told him straight out I dont want to talk about it.
    So thanks for helping to get that shut down as it contained some of the most psychotic and evil posts i have ever seen on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Steve wrote: »
    Wait, what? :eek:

You can be paid to be a moderator?

*starts looking at CV*

:D
    I wouldnt bother. You would probably only be offered 10% of your current salary

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

that thread is a disgrace and some of the posts were effed up.
    I dont see how that needed to be discussed anywhere, a work colleague started talking to me about it Friday and I told him straight out I dont want to talk about it.
    So thanks for helping to get that shut down as it contained some of the most psychotic and evil posts i have ever seen on here.

Some of posts took me aback too, this is a small country and it would be very easy for someone in the bereaved family to stumble upon the thread. Shameful stuff from posters who are now in this thread whinging that they should be allowed to express their views on a very sensitive, close-to-home subject. Their hurt feels and perceived victimhood are more important, doncha know? And I don't even know why they felt they hadn't been allowed to air their views, there were plenty of "dissenting" posts. Most people just disagreed with them, strongly. That doesn't mean they were being shouted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

count dookoo, Murrisk & everybody else - if you wish to discuss the specifics of that thread, take it up elsewhere (PM the mods or start a thread in Help Desk).

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

neverever1 wrote: »
    I'm not on this site very long

I believe you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 nadleia

the craic has been ninety the last couple of days

make boards great again

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sqwertypoo1934

I think they should build a wall and keep all the new people out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think people should just stick to one account instead of turning up with a new one every few months, weeks, or even days. Continuity and identity go a long long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think people should just stick to one account instead of turning up with a new one every few months, weeks, or even days. Continuity and identity go a long long way.

Completely agree. The Close Account feature has been a disaster for the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Completely agree. The Close Account feature has been a disaster for the site.

I'm lovin' it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    I'm lovin' it

Yeah, but nobody likes you.

Devastating stuff An File / Insect Overlord.
    You're saying two names would be enough for anyone? There's mods with many more that they cycle through and that's on their "mod" account, never mind their alt accounts!

Yeah, but nobody likes you.

Now now play nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

You're saying two names would be enough for anyone?

Changing your name doesn't hide anything. All your previous nicknames are listed on your public profile. Same for everyone, mod or not.

You're saying two names would be enough for anyone?

Changing name is a short-term inconvenience, but within a community most people will spot it straight away. I spent years responding to IO, then went back to An File when I wanted to focus on languages and poetry again. Most people copped it easily enough because I kept posting in the same places. My post history is still there. It's all still in context. I went back to IO again recently and it didn't cause any hassle for anyone (apart from the Admin who had to make the change early in the morning :) )I'm sure I've posted info over the years that someone could try to use against me, but I'm happy to stand over it.

The characters who pop up with burner emails, auto-generated names, proxies/VPNs/etc to mask their identities, they're a different story altogether.

"Changing your name doesn't hide anything. All your previous nicknames are listed on your public profile. Same for everyone, mod or not."

FAKE NEWS!

Easily verified as fake by looking at Insect Overlords public profile.
    No mention of previous nicks.

Twy hardurrrr...

• Advertisement

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Changing your name doesn't hide anything. All your previous nicknames are listed on your public profile. Same for everyone, mod or not.

This is incorrect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement