Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Boards so quiet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm sure there are a handful of cases every couple of years where users have a genuine need to close an account for matters of urgent privacy. It could have been a case that such users could have emailed the site to request same and make a case for closure.

As it is, the vast majority of closed accounts are being used in a negative anti community sense.

Give over ! I have reinvented myself and may do so again if I choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's like Byrner phones, Byrner accounts. Use it and ditch it. Isn't that right OXO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    It's like Byrner phones, Byrner accounts. Use it and ditch it. Isn't that right OXO!

Eh? Paranoid much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

....... wrote: »

Agreed.

Rightly or wrongly, this site has a pretty poor reputation according to other sites in that regard.

A few years ago this site probably had a more captive audience, but with all sorts of other discussion sites operating these days, the audience here are no longer captive. This development is welcome.

I've been carded several times on this site, but I'm still happy to contribute to this site with the only account that I have ever operated for this site.

• Advertisement

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Eh? Paranoid much?

More than a little. Chemical imbalance I'm told

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    More than a little. Chemical imbalance I'm told

Ah Chemical Byrne. Nope not me. Have another try if you want?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

....... wrote: »

It is absolutely how it should be. Someone with a poor record will get longer bans. Poor record means recent record. A couple of cards and a ban four years ago and then nothing until now doesn't constitute a poor record.

In your idea, every transgression would have a certain card or ban associated with it and it would be applied with no regard to your previous transgressions. If calling someone a dickhead is a red card, you could call someone a dickhead everyday and only keep picking up red cards. What's the point in that? The user is just collecting cards that have no meaning. You may as well not get red cards because they don't mean anything. That is absolutely not how it is and should never be how it is. If someone gets a red card and then has another transgression then they should get a one day ban. If they keep it up, three day ban, one week ban and increment until permanent. Anyone who doesn't get the message after so many warnings and bans shouldn't be allowed to waste other users' and moderators' time further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Closed accounts are brought up every so often, but there are always arguments both for and against. As Niamh said, this is something we'll have to mull over. But unless we were to tie accounts to something with more setup required than an e-mail address - which I don't think will happen - there will always be people willing to scrap an ID for a new account.

If there were suggestions as to how to make disciplinary action and appeals process better or more straightforward for all, we'd certainly like to hear them. At the moment, a person appealing can try to come to an agreement with the mod who took action, then raise it to a CMod, and then request an Admin review. If it stands after all that, then surely whatever action taken was justified.

• Advertisement

Closed accounts are brought up every so often, but there are always arguments both for and against. As Niamh said, this is something we'll have to mull over. But unless we were to tie accounts to something with more setup required than an e-mail address - which I don't think will happen - there will always be people willing to scrap an ID for a new account.

If there were suggestions as to how to make disciplinary action and appeals process better or more straightforward for all, we'd certainly like to hear them. At the moment, a person appealing can try to come to an agreement with the mod who took action, then raise it to a CMod, and then request an Admin review. If it stands after all that, then surely whatever action taken was justified.

Could you do an analysis to outline what % of DRPs are actually successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

What do you mean by successful?

What do you mean by successful?

Cards/bans overturned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Cards/bans overturned

What does it matter?

What does it matter?

If that's your attitude why bother posting? I asked a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Email accounts are as throw away as boards accounts. Text the confirmation message to a phone. One account per phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Email accounts are as throw away as boards accounts. Text the confirmation message to a phone. One account per phone number.

Sim cards are throw away also if we're going down that route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Sim cards are throw away also if we're going down that route

The serial reregers do it cause it's a 2 min job to get a new email address. Constantly getting new SIM cards just wouldn't be worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Boards has gotten more and more boring. Its become a big echo chamber

Cards/bans overturned

The forum is public, you could get the information yourself though I'm not sure what it would prove? If 95% were upheld, what would that mean? Genuine question. What analysis would you do on the results?

I mean you could say the same for prison forum appeals but that's full of banned reregs. I don't see what the analysis of either would accomplish but if you can put forward a decent case for it I'd have no problem having a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Peregrine wrote: »
    It is absolutely how it should be. Someone with a poor record will get longer bans. Poor record means recent record. A couple of cards and a ban four years ago and then nothing until now doesn't constitute a poor record.

In your idea, every transgression would have a certain card or ban associated with it and it would be applied with no regard to your previous transgressions. If calling someone a dickhead is a red card, you could call someone a dickhead everyday and only keep picking up red cards. What's the point in that? The user is just collecting cards that have no meaning. You may as well not get red cards because they don't mean anything. That is absolutely not how it is and should never be how it is. If someone gets a red card and then has another transgression then they should get a one day ban. If they keep it up, three day ban, one week ban and increment until permanent. Anyone who doesn't get the message after so many warnings and bans shouldn't be allowed to waste other users' and moderators' time further.

Each post could still be viewed independently and have incremental bans as a result of each infraction. But what happens is you get the mod saying 'I am upholding this based on several of your other posts...' and these posts won't have been carded so shouldn't play any part in the decision. If a poster is only allowed to comment on the post they are disputing the same rule should apply to mods. There's plenty of examples of a Cmod threatening to implement bans on other posts after a poster has disputed a card, hardly the type of behaviour to encourage posters to dispute their cards (probably his intention) or that's conducive to a fair system.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Each post could still be viewed independently and have incremental bans as a result of each infraction. But what happens is you get the mod saying 'I am upholding this based on several of your other posts...' and these posts won't have been carded so shouldn't play any part in the decision. If a poster is only allowed to comment on the post they are disputing the same rule should apply to mods. There's plenty of examples of a Cmod threatening to implement bans on other posts after a poster has disputed a card, hardly the type of behaviour to encourage posters to dispute their cards (probably his intention) or that's conducive to a fair system.

The poster appealing can comment on any of their posts, what is discarded is the excuse of "but they called me a ***" or "but that poster did it too". I've never seen a poster in DRP be told not to bring up any post but the one they're disputing.

Turtyturd wrote: »

This is exactly the point.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Here's a link to the DRF archive, knock yourself out.

Zaph wrote: »
    Here's a link to the DRF archive, knock yourself out.

Sound, but I asked a man a question. Could you allow HIM answer the question I asked HIM instead of piling in as per usual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    The serial reregers do it cause it's a 2 min job to get a new email address. Constantly getting new SIM cards just wouldn't be worth the hassle

Takes the same amount of time to order one as setup email

Sound, but I asked a man a question. Could you allow HIM answer the question I asked HIM instead of piling in as per usual?

Given that the stats you're looking for aren't kept as a matter of course, it's as easy for you to go look for them yourself as it is for Mark to do the legwork given that there's no benefit to him in actually doing so.

Given that the stats you're looking for aren't kept as a matter of course, it's as easy for you to go look for them yourself as it is for Mark to do the legwork given that there's no benefit to him in actually doing so.

Can he talk for himself ?

Can he talk for himself ?

It's outside of office hours so he's not around right now so I'm offering you an alternative whereby you can get the information you want quicker.

• Advertisement

It's outside of office hours so he's not around right now so I'm offering you an alternative whereby you can get the information you want quicker.

Thanks but I will wait for him to respond tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement