Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Install plug now?

• 07-05-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Getting an extension done on the house at the minute and I will be moving to EV in the next 2 - 3 years. I was wondering if it makes sense to get a plug installed now, or should I wait until closer to the time? Equally, is it a standard external plug, that the electrician can install fairly straightforward?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

No point in getting a plug(charger) installed at the moment but it would be good planning to put a 32amp capable cable in. Just leave either end secure in a junction box at either end. Then when it comes to getting an EV it's just a matter of doing the necessary hook up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    No point in getting a plug(charger) installed at the moment but it would be good planning to put a 32amp capable cable in. Just leave either end secure in a junction box at either end. Then when it comes to getting an EV it's just a matter of doing the necessary hook up.

^^ This.

Just get the cable in as thats the only "hard" part.

So, at least, a 6sqmm cable (10sqmm if its 20m+ run) from your distribution board to the point on the outside wall where you want the charge point. You could terminate it as a standard outdoor 3 pin plug for the time being and then when you decide to get an EV you can change it to a proper EV charge point very easily.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks guys. The main board would only be 2 metres from where the plug would be, so no long running cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Agree that doing the cable run now would be the best thing.

If you wanted to spend a little more Rolec has a €100 outdoor socket that can be upgraded to a 32A Type 2 EV chargepoint in a few minutes. Provided you get an electrician to install 32A MCB on the distribution board when the socket is installed it's just six screws, three wires and pop out the faceplate.

https://www.yesss.co.uk/heating-ventilation-c5/ev-charging-c1694/charge-points-c1695/rolec-ev-ready-deep-base-wallpod-evwp0020-p23230

http://assets.rolecserv.com/files/products_document/52aecb6d48e55b4a2c1a9f28d8d545ef/original.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Out of curiosity, anyone forsee EVs using CPs as data connections? Would it be worth running Cat5 to the point to prevent the need for EoP in future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

ED E wrote:
    Out of curiosity, anyone forsee EVs using CPs as data connections? Would it be worth running Cat5 to the point to prevent the need for EoP in future?

No harm in running the cable. It would only cost a few euros. However I'd expect they would connect via wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

ED E wrote: »

No , anything will be 4G /wifi , cables are sooooo 80s

I always run CAT6 just in case I want to put a wifi AP beside the chargepoint if BMW finally turns on the WiFi (the hardware is there) or if I move to a Tesla which can use the WiFi.

cros13 wrote: »
    I always run CAT6 just in case I want to put a wifi AP beside the chargepoint if BMW finally turns on the WiFi (the hardware is there) or if I move to a Tesla which can use the WiFi.

Why not use a yaggi, get your wifi to " reach out "

Cables are so 80 s :D

BoatMad wrote: »
    Why not use a yaggi, get your wifi to " reach out "

In the case of the apartment there are seven floors of concrete and steel apartment block in between.
    With portlaoise there's foil coated insulation making the house a faraday cage.
    With my place in Tipp the chargers are located in a garage/shed too far from the house and I need an AP there anyway.

I also use multiple APs in all because of the number of devices I have and throughput requirements. To ensure each AP only covers a small area at maximum throughput I dial back the power levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BoatMad wrote: »

Only in the home SOHO sector ;)

Brings up a good point though, in the states 1 Account, 1 Number, 2 Sims has started to take off, similar would be perfect here to include cars (ICE or EV) but AFAIK we've none offering it. I understand premium cars have their own fleet deals but would be nice to give the owner that choice.

ED E wrote: »
    Only in the home SOHO sector ;)

Brings up a good point though, in the states 1 Account, 1 Number, 2 Sims has started to take off, similar would be perfect here to include cars (ICE or EV) but AFAIK we've none offering it. I understand premium cars have their own fleet deals but would be nice to give the owner that choice.

This is possible here , but gsm doesn't countenance cloned sims. So the network merely routes calls to a major number

It is possible to get multiple sims with grouped data usage but not at consumer level at present ( networks have no incentives to offer that )
    You can buy such data sims online quite easily

The us tends to be behind Europe on mobile comms

Advertisement