Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Southampton, 13:30 SS1

• 07-05-2017 11:43am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A win for Liverpool would be a massive step towards CL qualification, but haven't scored against Southampton in 3 games this season. They battered Southampton pretty much in the league game at St Mary's but couldn't score, but in the League Cup semi final Southampton deservedly won both begs and Liverpool never looked like breaking them down really.

Tough game here, but a very important one for Liverpool with the 2 teams below them playing a couple of hours later. A clean sheet at home is a rarity for Liverpool recently, but they might need to do that today to win.

I don't think there will be more than a goal in it, but I'm hoping Liverpool will do enough to win.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Can can do it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Just win. Don't care if it's the worst game in the history of football. Just win.

• Can I use the Southampton B v Southampton A again?

Not sure how much more mileage I can get out of it though....

All lolz aside, expecting a comfortable Liverpool win. Southampton nothing to play for bar pride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can I use the Southampton B v Southampton A again?

All lolz aside, expecting a comfortable Liverpool win. Southampton nothing to play for bar pride?

No such thing as a comfortable win with Liverpool playing, was Boro the last convincing win. It's been a while anyway.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    No such thing as a comfortable win with Liverpool playing, was Boro the last convincing win. It's been a while anyway.

Coutihnio available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

0-2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Come on you Redmen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I fear us not being able to break Southampton down at all, as was the case in recent games versus them. However, Southampton aren't in great form and don't exactly have a lot to play for. They're really struggling for goals too.

Hopefully an early goal for Liverpool will set them on their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Coutihnio available?

I believe so. He trained so should be ready. Good to have players that will play through the pain barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Starting XI vs Southampton: Mignolet; Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner; Wijnaldum, Lucas, Can; Firmino, Origi, Coutinho

Subs:

Karius, Moreno, Grujic, Sturridge, Alexander-Arnold, Lallana, Klavan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

No Lallana is strange, if he's fit he has got to start.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    I believe so. He trained so should be ready. Good to have players that will play through the pain barrier.

True, same with Baily

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Can I use the Southampton B v Southampton A again?

While it is an ongoing joke by many. A lot of the players signed from Southampton have done well for Liverpool . Mane and lallana under klopp have been excellent. Clyne is decent and was money well spent. Lovren doesn't convince me but has done okay. Lambert was bought as an option off the bench and to beef up the squad but never really got going. The Southampton lads that signed for utd schneiderlein and shaw have proven to be a bigger disappointment in many ways which is surprising as they both looked good signings at the time.

Yeah, up there with Mane as our most important player when played in midfield rather than AM.

To play him though the midfield 3 would be Can, Wij and Lallana, at home to S'ton who aren't that potent in attack you'd think that'd be fine but we do need to keep a cleansheet here due to the importance of the 3 pts so Lucas it is at DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

He's only just back - I can see the logic in bringing him on later and I'm not surprised to see him on the bench.

Can and Winny have both been solid in the middle and the balance is good there with Lucas in behind.

It's true that he didn;t look at all rusty against Watford and looked pretty neat and sharp.

Argument for playing him in the front 3, drop Origi and play Firmino centrally but I think Lallana's best performances have come in the middle three and Klopp prefers him there.

Very nice to have a genuine game changing option on the bench anyway - I'm sure Lallana will get a good 30 mins at least and have some time to impact this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Morzadec wrote: »
    He's only just back - I can see the logic in bringing him on later and I'm not surprised to see him on the bench.

Can and Winny have both been solid in the middle and the balance is good there with Lucas in behind.

It's true that he didn;t look at all rusty against Watford and looked pretty neat and sharp.

Argument for playing him in the front 3, drop Origi and play Firmino centrally but I think Lallana's best performances have come in the middle three and Klopp prefers him there.

Very nice to have a genuine game changing option on the bench anyway - I'm sure Lallana will get a good 30 mins at least and have some time to impact this game.

I agree with this. Not surprised to see him on the bench. At least we have decent options with 30-20 left of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-0 Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

1-1 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Think Klopp feels Lallana played too much too early against Watford so protecting him here somewhat.

I want to see a confidence performance, we're winning games too tight and nervy lately. Love to see a comfortable win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Defensive looking team, going to be low scoring

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    Defensive looking team, going to be low scoring

Lallana is the only player not playing that was expected so I don see how it's defensive looking team especially when Liverpool can't defend properly.

murpho999 wrote: »
    ............ we're winning games too tight and nervy lately. Love to see a comfortable win.

Last 10 games we've beaten Arsenal & Everton by 2 goals, other 4 wins were as you say, tight 1 goal jobs. 3 of those 4 wins were in our last 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Good to see origi has picked up where he left off on Monday night.
    Absolutely hopeless at holding up and retaining the ball.

Lucas with another of his newly minted through balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Here we go, a silent Anfield. I expected a crazy loud game here, so much at stake.
    What it going on. Feels like a friendly.
    We will need to concede a goal to start playing.

Decent move there shut down by Milner cutting in to cross with his right.

And then forced onto his left foot and he puts in a decent cross!

Crowd groaning about a ball that could maybe go out of play, not one that did.
    Geez, I can see why Klopp finds it all strange at times. You would not see that at Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Turgid stuff.

• Advertisement

Good pressure from Firmino but he snatched at the chance.

Bit of life in this for the last few minutes

Clyne is so pathetic when he could at least try to get by his man

S'ton are brutal.............. no intent to attack, should batter them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That was brilliant tracking by Clyne after Lucas had a brain fart.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's like a pre-season friendly in both tempo and atmosphere so far. Hopefully it picks up a lot in both regards.

• Advertisement

Crowd groaning about a ball that could maybe go out of play, not one that did.
    Geez, I can see why Klopp finds it all strange at times. You would not see that at Dortmund.

Definitely heard plenty of noise from the crowd on my tv.

Is your sound right?

Players need to do a bit more to get the crowd going too.

Rugby tackle allowed now eh. Coutinho was grabbed off the ball.

Bit tame from Phil there

Need Lallana to be playing where Coutinho keeps dropping back into

Ref whistle happy for Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully at some point early enough in the second half Lallana and maybe Sturridge can come on to add a bit more threat to the team.

Shane Long will probably come on for his near obligatory goal in the second half at some point.

I definitely think Sturridge would bring more spark up front than Origi does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Origi is a wreck the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I really hope Klopp makes an early change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Southampton offering nothing. On the beach already.

Southampton offering nothing. On the beach already.

Yes, and we should be kicking sand in their face.

That was a lucky escape. He was totally free in front of our goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Sturridge on for Origi and Lallana on for Lucas 2nd half please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

200.gif#30-grid1

murpho999 wrote: »
    I definitely think Sturridge would bring more spark up front than Origi does.

He'd be out on his feet after 25 mins though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement