Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC or DCU? Need help on this one

Options
  • 07-05-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey there, the leaving cert's on the horizon and I gotta wrap up college stuff now in regards to deposits and such before completely sinking into study for the next month. I'd hope to do computer science, but I can't decide whether to put UCC above DCU on my CAO. I live in Sligo, so Cork is a proper trek if I go there in comparison to DCU, but as far as I can tell the college and course seems to be of a better standard than DCU.

I'm willing to put up with the distance and the accommodation stuff, but do you think it's worth it? UCC wants more points and seems to have a better college life situation, but DCU is closer to home and from what I hear is still a sound, albeit difficult computer science course. Both colleges look great, I'm just poor at decision making. Opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

As an alumnus of Computer Applications in DCU I may be a bit biased, but I think CA offers a better technical grounding than most other courses. Many courses offer more business training than technical, and I believe the ones in Cork are the same based on knowing people who have completed them. If this is the side of computing you're looking to get into then UCC or even EC in DCU would be the options you should probably be considering. If you're interested almost purely in the technical side, CA in DCU is for you.

As Mr.S said, accommodation is a factor as well. DCU would be more expensive as it is in the capital, though on-campus accommodation is quite nice, and the facilities in DCU are really good including the sports centre, library, and the bars/cafes. Cork obviously has the same things, but cheaper.

Advertisement