Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training for definition rather than mass

• 07-05-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey All,

So as the title says, I'm wondering about the differences between training for muscle definition as opposed to training for muscle mass.

A bit of background, I'm a 5'7, ~180lb, 22 year old male who is fairly active, I've plenty of experience in the past of training to build muscle mass but I've never really trained for anything other than this. My diet is pretty balanced, I generally eat a lot of lean protein and carbs though I am prone to the odd cheat day or two!

I've read up on it a bit and from what I can tell the way to go is to cut carbs, use pyramid sets or supersets in resistance training, and use either cardio at 70% max or HIIT training to burn fat. In your experience, is this the correct approach? Or would you suggest a different approach?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you want more definition then you need less fat which means maybe not having more than one full cheat day. Two and you're just kidding yourself.

So get your diet in order. Balanced doesn't mean a huge amount in the context of getting bf % down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

That whole cheat day thing is a load of pony anyway.

As every teacher used to say, you're only cheating yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I guess summer is here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's no such thing as training muscles for definition. Definition is dependent on bodyfat covering the muscles, or the lack of.
    Supersets, pyramids sets etc are going to increase definition over straight sets.
    Low carb is one diet approach, it works for me. Other don't like it. It's just about cutting calories, what ever works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That whole cheat day thing is a load of pony anyway.

As every teacher used to say, you're only cheating yourself.

I've always felt the same, but I've a pretty utilitarian relationship with food. Cheat days really help some people. They miss the indulgence, the comfort of it, and without it they'll become miserable with their diet, and no one who is miserable will keep doing what they are doing indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 caroldevis

Your biggest enemy is the % of fat you have! The less it is the better and healthier you are!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

caroldevis wrote: »
    Your biggest enemy is the % of fat you have! The less it is the better and healthier you are!

I thought fat people were always jolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

If that were true Ketogenic diet wouldn't work, but it evidently does work.

Your enemy rather then is high fat PLUS high carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

learn_more wrote: »
    If that were true Ketogenic diet wouldn't work, but it evidently does work.

Your enemy rather then is high fat PLUS high carbs.

He was talking about body fat, not fatty foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Unless you get down to 8% or less, in which case it is definitely not better or healthier.

Tbh the ideal percentage is somewhere between 12-15% in terms of general recovery and health for your body. Anything below 10% is really hard to maintain and might impact on your health in the long term.

• Advertisement
Advertisement