Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money (and general) advice

• 07-05-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys.

Off on honeymoon for 3 weeks. Atlanta - Charleston - Asheville - Nashville - Memphis - Natchez - new Orleans.

All accommodation sorted, car rental sorted and have a lot of restaurants/pubs earmarked. Couldn't be more excited.

Silly question.. what's the best way to handle currency these days? Just use debit card to withdraw large sums every so often and pay for things like hotels on card?

Post office seem to have a travel card but is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

krudmonkey wrote: »
    Just use debit card to withdraw large sums every so often and pay for things like hotels on card?

Post office seem to have a travel card but is it worth it?

Currency card is great from the post office I put a chunk on it every time I head to the States.

Usually on a long trip to be safe:
    I'd buy maybe 1/4 of the spending money in dollars cash,
    leave 1/4 on the debit card
    1/4 on the credit card (deposit it on the card like)
    and 1/4 on the currency card.

Maybe a bit hectic but it's how I like to do it. The currency card won't screw you on cross boarder handling fee's etc which can add up on a 3 week trip.

ATM's in America charge you up to $3 to withdraw. Get cash back from supermarkets at no charge.

Advertisement