Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What days for creche?

Options
  • 07-05-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

My little one will be starting in creche in September & she'll be 9 months old then. Dreading the thought of going back to work & leaving her but have to financially. I'm going back on a four day week,

If any of ye have done something similar which day of the week is best to take off, maybe a Wednesday to break up the week in creche?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Wednesday off is nice as it breaks up the week the only issue I found from not working Wednesday (while heavily pregnant) is that clients, colleagues etc still get in touch as many projects don't finish mid week. After having a child I didn't work Friday's which I found nice as the weekend was nice and long. I got stuff done at home so the weekend was family time (caught up on laundry etc). There are positives to both - a long weekend was lovely but two "two day weeks" and a weekend was lovely too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Bank holidays mainly fall on Mondays. If you're cr?che is closed and you're work doesn't it might be a factor

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont work mondays, i get to take my bank holidays back, so can take them in a lump or whenever i need a random day off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'd pick Mondays off creche because it most likely to be closed on BH but you have to pay them anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wow, nice one! 10 months and a 4 day week! Sweeet!

(I had to beg and plead with the local creche to take my baby at 5 months old when I ran out of leave. Baby was 2 weeks overdue, burnt 1 whole month of leave still pregnant.)

I'd say any day except Monday would be good. Nice to have a long weekend.. I'd probably take the Friday. In office jobs people always do f-all on a friday anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

John Mason wrote: »
    i dont work mondays, i get to take my bank holidays back, so can take them in a lump or whenever i need a random day off
    j@utis wrote: »
    I'd pick Mondays off creche because it most likely to be closed on BH but you have to pay them anyways.

Pretty much exactly the reasoning we have for my wife taking Mondays when she goes back in Sept/Oct (little one will be 10 months). Plus, Fridays are generally quiet days in her job so she'll have 3 "full on" days, breeze through Friday and then 3 day weekend.

I know you don't always get a choice in these things (your employer has to give you the parental leave but they can set the terms under which you take it) but I wouldn't be a fan of the mid-week day off. As pointed out already, you're breaking up your work flow by doing this. Also, it is potentially disruptive for your little one to be in creche 2 days, home 1, creche 2 days, home 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

I wouldn't go for Wednesday. Too confusing for her is she is in creche out of crèche for a day + back in again. Much better to go for Mon or Fri so she will just have a longer weekend. My little guy is in crèche full time + loves it so it may work put better than you think.

Advertisement