Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

SoleDiva how is the ankle doing any better hopefully your back running soon :)

Yesterday was cycling 20K and Bootcamp lots of press ups and core work and squats my glutes feel it today
    I have my first run tonight and normally we run between 5 to 8K I might run by how I feel tonight and pull back if necessary. So far my calf is 100% but will be doing some foam rolling and stretching to keep it that way. I have watched and used some of the stretches mentioned by James Dunne on youtube he is good.

I have my daughters 1st Holy communion on Saturday and Sunday we are off on a training day for Kayaking, cycling and running I can not wait, won't be so much fun on my mountain bike and everyone else on road bikes but it's all about training not speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A word of advice to my fellow novices for planning out your long slow runs, especially as they get properly long - dont do what I did last Sunday!.

The previous week I had run a new route in a loop in a particular direction, I plotted out the next longer route with a an extra mile added however...it went the opposite way round, a fact I thought wouldn't cause any problems.

Well it did, funny enough going the other way round when tired can do strange things to your memory! I ended up running a couple of extra miles longer than intended and the last two were a bit messy to say the least!

Lesson learned, drive or cycle new routes wherever possible before running out on LSR's!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I used to use Google Pedometer to plan out routes so I knew the distance of them.....could be a handy one to look out for.

Supercell wrote: »
    A word of advice to my fellow novices for planning out your long slow runs, especially as they get properly long - dont do what I did last Sunday!.

The previous week I had run a new route in a loop in a particular direction, I plotted out the next longer route with a an extra mile added however...it went the opposite way round, a fact I thought wouldn't cause any problems.

Well it did, funny enough going the other way round when tired can do strange things to your memory! I ended up running a couple of extra miles longer than intended and the last two were a bit messy to say the least!

Lesson learned, drive or cycle new routes wherever possible before running out on LSR's!

Quickbeam I have not forgotten about the routes I promised you.....I will get them done tomorrow evening.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    I'm near the Phoenix Park too. If you have any route suggestions I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I used to use Google Pedometer to plan out routes so I knew the distance of them.....could be a handy one to look out for.

Thanks for that - i never saw that before, I knew the distance but I took a wrong turn 10 miles in, in an estate where the roads looked similar and things went a bit pear shaped from there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've mapped a few routes on MapMyRun, but I'm not sure how great they are due to traffic, etc, and the very long runs I'm struggling to find routes for.

I did up a summary, if anyone's interested:
    22 x 3 mile (4.8km) runs
    12 x 4 mile (6.4km) runs
    7 x 5 mile (8.0km) runs
    6 x 6 mile (9.7km) runs
    4 x 7 mile (11.3km) runs
    4 x 8 mile (12.9km) runs
    2 x 10 mile (16.1km) runs (excluding FD)
    3 x 12 mile (19.3km) runs
    2 x 14 mile (22.5km) runs
    1 x 15 mile (24.1km) runs
    1 x 16 mile (25.7km) runs
    1 x 20 mile (32.2km) runs

I reckon, not to get bored you'd need different routes so you run the same route no more than three or four times.

Easily done I tended to plan routes on my LSR that went past a shop about 1/2 way or just over so I could take on some water. Also got through a tonne of Fruit Pastillles and Wine Gums during the marathon training cycle!

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks for that - i never saw that before, I knew the distance but I took a wrong turn 10 miles in, in an estate where the roads looked similar and things went a bit pear shaped from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Hi. Lurking in here the last while. I followed the dcm 2016 novice forum last year and completed the marathon successfully under my main goal of 4h 30mins. I got brilliant advice all along from both questions I asked and through all the other posts. I'll be following again as due to laziness I'm pretty much a novice again😣. Enjoy the mileage increasing over the next few months. Last year if I was struggling for motivation I thought of the novices who had posted that they were pulling out due to injury. I was lucky enough to overcome a tricky injury and got through on a reduced training programme but a lot aren't so lucky. So keep going, enjoy it and stick to the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Newbie xx wrote: »
    Hi

Looks like a great group here.
    I like others starting running a few year back with the C5K app, I had lost 3stone with WW and thought it would be a great way to maintain, as never wanted it back. I kind dipped my toes in the water & never really felt the love. On the 2015 June bank holiday I did the mini marathon & couldn't run the full 10k, so decided enough was enough , I needed to focus I followed David Carries plan in 2015 & completed DCM in a time of 4:36. However last year had a major set back the week before the Half marathon in the race series. Resulted in surgery in late December, ( not running related) rested up -and have lost most of my fitness. I'm in the process of getting back on the horse so to speak.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Parkrun -March 16 23:00/Feb 17 26:20
    5 Miles - May 16 40:44/ May 17 45:22
    10k July 16 50:45
    10 miles - Aug 15 1hr 27mins
    HM -Sept 15 1 hr 57 mins
    DCM -Oct 15 4hrs 36 mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No generally not, mind you had to stop in the most recent 5 mile race at 4.5miles

How much training do you currently do ?
    3 -4 runs per week 3 x 3 miles & 1x 4-5 miles

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    I love to be able to run it in under 4 hours but It would be between 4 to 4:30 hrs

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can train 4 to 5 days a week.
    Yes I want to follow a plan, yours looks good

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because it's the most awesome feeling of self achievement ever & am absolutely gutted I didn't get to do it last year. I really want to get back into running and feel this will help me

Good luck to all xx

Hi Newbie,

Welcome aboard! That was a pretty good recovery in 2015, going from not being able to finish WMM to completing an actual marathon in the space of a few months. It shows that the willpower was there for sure - and hopefully it will be again this time around. Your times from this year are already on the way back - with improvements in fitness, these should continue to get better.
    Glad if we can be of some assistance getting you back into the swing of things :) Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

peterc14 wrote: »
    Another long time lurker. Had done little to no exercise for 10 years or more, and with 3 young children I decided I needed to do something and tried the C25K. Found it really tough at the start but when I completed 20mins non stop running, I began enjoying it a lot more.
    Started the C25K Jan 2016 and raced first 5K in March 2016. I then progressed to 10K pretty soon after. Had big plans to do DCM 2016 however a combination of injuries made me realise it was too much too soon.
    However I was bitten by the running bug and continued to run when all niggles cleared up. I ran HM in October 2016 and decided that I would go all out to get in shape for DCM 2017. I have signed up and hope the training all goes well.

5K - March 2016 25.25
    5 Miles - April 2016 41.30
    10k - May 2017 44.15
    10 miles -
    HM -May 2017 1 hr 38 mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ?

3 -4 runs per week - mileage varies - generally 20-30 miles per week

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream would be sub 3.30...more realistic is probably sub 4.00

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can train 4 or 5 days a week and am following an Asics plan with few modifcations.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Would just love to say I have done at least one and having now done a few HMs it feels the right time to give it a lash.

So hopefully the training will go well and all will be good come the big day.
    Good luck to everyone.

Hi peterc14,

Welcome! Never easy to give up on running a marathon; fingers crossed we can help make it happen for you this year. Your 10k and HM times are very close to my own :) Quite a progression in less than a year and a half since starting C25k! Even having a few HMs in the bag will be a big help to you. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

• Advertisement

Omeceron wrote: »
    My current base building plan has me running 6 miles easy Mon and Wed and a speed session on Tues. Nothing too fast just progression runs and some strides but roughly 6 miles aswell.

The Boards plan doesn't have this much mid week running so I'm wondering am I doing too much?

I was thinking I should drop a mile at least off each run. Is this still too much?

How do you feel after running them? I would make sure to factor in rest days as well. If you have LSRs at the weekend too, you're already well up there in terms of mileage (without more info, I'm guessing your speed session is 3 miles at least including warmup and cooldown) If you're feeling comfortable with this "easy miles" routine, I'd stay with it. However, the old adage of "Listen to your body" applies! If you're running them too fast, slow down.

Hi Wubble Wubble - ive decided to go with the HH1 Plan, but im going to start off this week by doing some cross training/gym and a few low mileage runs just to get the fitness level up a bit. So by the time 26th June rolls round ill be getting into the swing of things.... well that's the plan anyways!!

Great stuff, slow and steady is the way forward, especially when we're talking about marathons :)

I multi-tasked my LSR yesterday by running to IKEA & back! :D

I was running through some areas I didn't know that well, and even though I had trusty hand-written directions & sort-of map in my pocket, I took a few wrong turns, had to take out the smart phone a few times. So the run there was faaaaaaaaar longer than the run back. The home trip seemed so much easier, but I think it was slightly uphill most of the way there.

Running through Tolka Valley Park, there was a really short steep hill that I slowed down for, took teeny little steps. Still when I got to the top I had to stop, thought I was gonna be sick! :o

What I learned from yesterday's run: yoga leggings are fine for yoga, or for a short 5m run. They're no good for an LSR however; some of the seams left little red patches that weren't uncomfortable just yet, but after 4 hours of running I'd say I'd be in serious pain! So gotta go through my shorts drawer and identify which leggings are for LSRs, and which are for yoga only! :eek:

I've noticed the last two weekends that after my LSR I have an insanely unquenchable thirst! I'd an 8oz water bottle with me this weekend, and drank it all. I normally never drink fizzy drinks, but I think I'm gonna need to stock some of those mini-cans in my fridge. I think the acid or the bubbles will be the only thing to cut through my thirst. No amount of water or ice pops seemed to do the job yesterday.

On my way over, there was a swan with four lovely fluffy little cygnets in the Royal Canal. They were still there on my way home, and since I'd my distance covered at this stage, I could stop to take a little video. They came over to me when they saw me watching them. I'd no treats for them though, how disappointing!

Well done on the run! I run along the canal every so often, it's particularly enjoyable early in the morning.

One other thing... (not running related) Careful with those swans. I know of at least one Boardsie who got attacked by them, somewhere in that vicinity IIRC ;)

A bit late with my report on training last week, buhave another go at the 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d.t better late than never :) I had a good weeks running overall, after having to swap around the runs that I had planned a little bit:
    Mon 3 miles 9:52 per mile
    Tues 4 miles easy 10:49 per mile
    Wed 3 miles 10:27 per mile
    Thurs 4 miles easy 10:56 per mile
    Sat 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d 9:40 per mile
    I had a bit of an upset on my run last Wednesday where I was meant to do 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d. Started to get stomach cramps when I picked up the pace so I only managed to do 3 miles before having to head home. Luckily the training plan I am following only called for me to do a 5k race at the weekend so I just decided to give this a miss on Saturday morning and I've been trying to run slowly at a pace of around 10:45 min a mile, so my target for the pace section was 9:45. I was a bit worried about sustaining this for 4 miles but I actually ended up running slightly faster at around 9:00 to 9:20 per mile so I will have to work on staying at my target pace a bit more :)

I wouldn't worry too much if you're not getting this at the moment. Very early days! The pacing will come to you, rather than you coming to it :D

Can't stand stomach cramps, which is way I rarely run after dinner if I can avoid it. Could it have been too soon after eating, as opposed to picking up the pace?

Baby75 wrote: »
    SoleDiva how is the ankle doing any better hopefully your back running soon :)

Yesterday was cycling 20K and Bootcamp lots of press ups and core work and squats my glutes feel it today
    I have my first run tonight and normally we run between 5 to 8K I might run by how I feel tonight and pull back if necessary. So far my calf is 100% but will be doing some foam rolling and stretching to keep it that way. I have watched and used some of the stretches mentioned by James Dunne on youtube he is good.

I have my daughters 1st Holy communion on Saturday and Sunday we are off on a training day for Kayaking, cycling and running I can not wait, won't be so much fun on my mountain bike and everyone else on road bikes but it's all about training not speed.

Seems like you're covering a fair bit already. Triathlon coming up?

sgal wrote: »
    Hi. Lurking in here the last while. I followed the dcm 2016 novice forum last year and completed the marathon successfully under my main goal of 4h 30mins. I got brilliant advice all along from both questions I asked and through all the other posts. I'll be following again as due to laziness I'm pretty much a novice again😣. Enjoy the mileage increasing over the next few months. Last year if I was struggling for motivation I thought of the novices who had posted that they were pulling out due to injury. I was lucky enough to overcome a tricky injury and got through on a reduced training programme but a lot aren't so lucky. So keep going, enjoy it and stick to the plan!

Hi sgal,

Welcome (back) to the Novices thread! I thought the username sounded familiar? Yeah post marathon fatigue seems to be a regular occurrence, hopefully we can help bring the love back. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Ok I really am a novice here reading everyone else's details but still think I will get there if I just keep doing my own thing and not get intimidated by others times/miles.

So I have three questions

1. At what distance does a run become a lsr? Last weekend I ran 8 miles which is furthest I've gone in a while but just went at much my usual pace. I know some here seem to knock out 8m during the week though so not a long run then. Do you just always do weekend run slower even if you feel able for faster regardless of distance?

2. Hope to follow hh1 or2 or something inbetween that I have put together myself to best suit my life but the first few weeks have quiet low mileage a little less than where I'm at now. So do i drop back when starting plan or maintain current milage until point in plan where it surpasses it?

3. Any thought on split runs? If later in the training I can't get midweek run done in one go is it ok to split it say 5miles at lunch and 6 in evening? Hopefully this won't happen too often but if it does is this a good option?Obviously I won't be splitting long weekend run.

Apologies if silly questions, starting to overthink things now as really want to give myself a good shot at this.
    Thanks.

Seems like you're covering a fair bit already. Triathlon coming up?

Yep a few during the summer and quest achill in September

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

henrietta wrote: »
    Ok I really am a novice here reading everyone else's details but still think I will get there if I just keep doing my own thing and not get intimidated by others times/miles.

So I have three questions

1. At what distance does a run become a lsr? Last weekend I ran 8 miles which is furthest I've gone in a while but just went at much my usual pace. I know some here seem to knock out 8m during the week though so not a long run then. Do you just always do weekend run slower even if you feel able for faster regardless of distance?

An 8 mile run is a long run in anyones money imo mind you come October long runs will be 18 miles plus runs , anything less will be a jaunt.
    2. Hope to follow hh1 or2 or something inbetween that I have put together myself to best suit my life but the first few weeks have quiet low mileage a little less than where I'm at now. So do i drop back when starting plan or maintain current milage until point in plan where it surpasses it?

I wouldn't drop back if it were me, miles in the legs will stand to you when the going get tough on the day. If you maintain the level you are at, the plan will catch up with you .

3. Any thought on split runs? If later in the training I can't get midweek run done in one go is it ok to split it say 5miles at lunch and 6 in evening? Hopefully this won't happen too often but if it does is this a good option?Obviously I won't be splitting long weekend run.

I'm no expert but if i remember correctly from last year doubles are not recommended . I'm sure someone else will give you the science bits relating to that/ I don't think there are that many midweek long runs on the plans anyway.
    Apologies if silly questions, starting to overthink things now as really want to give myself a good shot at this.
    Thanks.

There are no silly questions here, you all need to be prepared for what lies ahead so if there is anything any of you novices need to ask fire ahead and someone will be able to answer .

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

Hi peterc14,

Welcome! Never easy to give up on running a marathon; fingers crossed we can help make it happen for you this year. Your 10k and HM times are very close to my own :) Quite a progression in less than a year and a half since starting C25k! Even having a few HMs in the bag will be a big help to you. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

I am always interested in comparing similar times for other races. What is your times for the distances? I would be interested to see how your 10K and HM times relate to your marathon time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi.

Did anybody saw the marathon plan in Sunday's Indo? It's a 23 week plan, starts this week :eek: but it includes a 21 mile (week 17) run and a 22-23 mile run (week 20). Just wondering what the thoughts are on a 22-23 mile run, the longest on the HH and boards plans is 20 i think :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I've Planktar Fasciatis,should I even be considering the DCM ?. It is 5 months away and I've quite a good 'base'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

I wouldn't worry too much if you're not getting this at the moment. Very early days! The pacing will come to you, rather than you coming to it :D

Can't stand stomach cramps, which is way I rarely run after dinner if I can avoid it. Could it have been too soon after eating, as opposed to picking up the pace?
    I think it was just the Nakd bar I had for my afternoon snack not agreeing with me that day, as I had my snack in work at 3 pm and it was after 5.30 pm before I headed out for my run. I'll be sticking with some greek yogurt and fruit in the afternoons from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

peterc14 wrote: »
    I am always interested in comparing similar times for other races. What is your times for the distances? I would be interested to see how your 10K and HM times relate to your marathon time?

This thread has a lot of examples of comparing folks first marathon time to their most recent half-marathon time: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101255685&postcount=81

Quickbeam

Here are a few loops around the Phoenix Park which take in parts of the marathon course, there are so many options in the park that you cant really get to bored running there.

This is probably the part of the marathon that I am most familiar with.

5.6 mile loop Phoenix Park/Castleknock

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=614291

8.3 miles taking in Inchicore section of marathon
    http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=614297

10 mile loop taking in Stoneybatter/Phoenix Park and Castlekenock sections
    http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=614301

As the LSRS got longer I started heading out towards Crumlin/Dolphins Barn/Terenure and looping back towards the park at about the 20 mile on the marathon route and taking in Stoneybatter at the end.

There is also the option of starting your run in the park and running the rest of the marathon route or starting in Chapelizod and running the marathon route from there that would give you 16 miles then potentially getting public transport back to the car.

I think I had covered the whole route apart from the first and last few miles during training last year.

Hopefully the links work!

That's fabulous, thanks so much Scott!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Would I be classes as a novice, seen as I dnf the previous time I tried to run Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

of course - ive run 4 marathons, i would consider myself a novice in the sense that i still have loads to learn.

The weather is amazing out! how are you all finding it when running. I was a very lovely shade of red yesterday afternoon when I got out for a short run and very very sweaty :D the heat is good at slowing you down though LOL

• Advertisement

Can't stand the heat, but I do my runs very early morning before it gets too hot.

Advertisement