Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

could be curtains for me for 2017. Shins been playing up since Monday. Sore walking, can definitely feel pain around my shins and when I balance it's quite bad.

Physio tomorrow morning, not overly optimistic. fingers crossed anyway

Might need to focus on a later marathon and not let it go to waste. Planning on keeping running over the winter too, I've come too far to have to start again. It's not just the DCM, it's a way of life change, small bump in the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

could be curtains for me for 2017. Shins been playing up since Monday. Sore walking, can definitely feel pain around my shins and when I balance it's quite bad.

Might need to focus on a later marathon and not let it go to waste. Planning on keeping running over the winter too, I've come too far to have to start again. It's not just the DCM, it's a way of life change, small bump in the road

I really hope it's not the end of your Dublin 2017 plans but what a great attitude you have! Fair play to you. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes, i'll be hoping for the very best possible outcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

ariana` wrote: »
    What are these shot blocs? Are they the same as gels? Every 2m seems quite frequent to be taking on fuel.

Someone earlier in the thread recommended them.

http://www.clifbar.co.uk/products/clif-shot-bloks

33 calories a blok. I did some maths/research on it. For my weight (87kg) I read it's recommended to take on about 90 calories an hour after the 90min Mark.
    I hit mile 7 a little after the hour Mark, take the first, and it's got 20min to digest, then one every 2m, slightly under 20min. It's a 'little and often' approach, rather than taking a full gel in one go. Even if it's slightly over what I should intake, I'm lucky enough to have no digestive issues with these so, better too much than too little.
    There's a caffeine version which, surprisingly for someone fond of his coffee, gave a decent kick!

dos29 wrote: »

33 calories a blok. I did some maths/research on it. For my weight (87kg) I read it's recommended to take on about 90 calories an hour after the 90min Mark.
    I hit mile 7 a little after the hour Mark, take the first, and it's got 20min to digest, then one every 2m, slightly under 20min. It's a 'little and often' approach, rather than taking a full gel in one go. Even if it's slightly over what I should intake, I'm lucky enough to have no digestive issues with these so, better too much than too little.
    There's a caffeine version which, surprisingly for someone fond of his coffee, gave a decent kick!

Thanks. I'd be interested to try them. Is it too late to be trying something new? Gels have been fine for me but i've only ever taken 1 on a run and I've only done that twice. I suppose i should try taking 3-4 at intervals throughout a long run, probably sooner rather than later at this stage :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Hopefully you get good news. I know how you feel I was in the depths of despair last week with my it band issue till I was at the physio on Tuesday. My mood changed and is much more positive since.

but worst case great attitude don't let this go to waste theres always another marathon to be raced.

fingers crossed for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to see this. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Sorry to hear that brownbinman, hopefully the news from the physio isn't as bad as you fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

There is certainly no one size fits all approach to this....I tended to go by feel; if I felt good then was happy to go full guns blazing!

No one knows out bodies better than ourselves.....just like most things in life common sense is key.

It's funny I was just having a discussion about this yesterday. My 2c on the matter. It's okay to really go for it on the day i.e push the pace but you need to take the following factors into account

1) How consistent has your training been throughout the plan (missed days due to niggles, illness, holidays, life etc)
    2) How long were you running before the plan started
    3) How many races have you tapered for so far in build up
    4) Will you be allowed to properly recover after without affecting overall marathon (7-10 days of easy running)
    5) How often have you overcooked training

As Novice runners you are on an upward curve with regards fitness so you will probably see PB's without the races always necessarily being an optimal race so some you can train through and still do well but recovery is not something that can be ignored as you don't have the few years of aerobic base built up so if you are in anyway unsure or any of the questions I have asked leave you nervous I would say to not worry too much about racing but don't be afraid of going hard as races will bring you on leaps and bounds more than any session at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks. I'd be interested to try them. Is it too late to be trying something new? Gels have been fine for me but i've only ever taken 1 on a run and I've only done that twice. I suppose i should try taking 3-4 at intervals throughout a long run, probably sooner rather than later at this stage :eek:

I personally think that ShotBloks are great, so much easier on the stomach for me versus Gels as they are very easy to swallow post a quick chew. They definitely give me a lift if I am flagging on a longer run, I am not gone on the caffeine version as they can have a bit of a laxative effect....not good when you hit the bottom of Roebuck road :rolleyes:. I suggest if people are going to try them out, like anything at this stage, make sure it is on a long LSR so that you know how they will affect your stomach/body.

BTW Roebuck road is tough but so hyped up people think that it is Mount Everest and are fearful of it. I see it as 'it is all downhill after this' so in a weird way I actually like it when I reach the bottom of it.....just another way of thinking about it.

P.S. Best of luck Brownbinman....hopefully you will be fine with a bit of physio and rest.......fingers crossed for you!

smashiner wrote: »
    I personally think that ShotBloks are great, so much easier on the stomach for me versus Gels as they are very easy to swallow post a quick chew. They definitely give me a lift if I am flagging on a longer run, I am not gone on the caffeine version as they can have a bit of a laxative effect....not good when you hit the bottom of Roebuck road :rolleyes:. I suggest if people are going to try them out, like anything at this stage, make sure it is on a long LSR so that you know how they will affect your stomach/body.

BTW Roebuck road is tough but so hyped up people think that it is Mount Everest and are fearful of it. I see it as 'it is all downhill after this' so in a weird way I actually like it when I reach the bottom of it.....just another way of thinking about it.

P.S. Best of luck Brownbinman....hopefully you will be fine with a bit of physio and rest.......fingers crossed for you!

I know nothing about the course and am going with the attitude that "ignorance is bliss"! I've been trying to incorporate some climbs into my runs so hopefully they won't be my downfall.

Thanks for the advice re. the Shotbloks, if i can find them i'll give them a try.

I have a dull ache in my right hop today. Massage tonight so hopefully that will sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Oh everything's great, thank you ariana. We're having our baby on Friday. :)

Gas, haven't even told my family that.

OOOH good luck and hope all goes well and quickly :) babies are great looking forward to the update

Good luck I hope it is not as bad as think, I suffered with them last year and earlier in the summer but thankfully a week rest cross training with icing and compression sorted me out, you are right to stop now and get it sorted, I met a running buddy today from our club that I had not seen in a few weeks and she is out with two stress fractures from ignoring pain in her shins :eek:

I meant to post about Tailwind we used on Saturday We had it added to our water and it has everything you need and easy on your tummy, you just keep sipping on it and it keeps your energy up and hydrated. I found it brilliant and so easy to drink, I was hungry by the end of the cycle but it was 6 hours since I had eaten so to be expected LOL just in case anyone is looking for another option instead of gels etc

I got out for a run on Tuesday, really enjoyed it, but my left quad was so tight it felt really weird I rested yesterday and just walked and much better today no tightness or anything so heading out when hubby comes in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

My failure to register in time for the now sold out Charleville Half-marathon epitomises my desperately half-hearted commitment to the Dublin City Marathon. In truth I don't like marathons, certainly not the training schedule that a conventional plan espouses. I've been reluctant to really bend mine. It might still work out ok, maybe. But I've not given myself the best chance..... There will now be no H-M in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Oh no. Hopefully not shin splints. Best of luck with the physio and hope you get a good result.

dos29 wrote: »

Any idea where you read about the calories etc? i'd love to try and be more accurate about my nutrition as opposed to guessing how often to take gels etc.

Baby75 wrote: »

I meant to post about Tailwind we used on Saturday We had it added to our water and it has everything you need and easy on your tummy, you just keep sipping on it and it keeps your energy up and hydrated. I found it brilliant and so easy to drink, I was hungry by the end of the cycle but it was 6 hours since I had eaten so to be expected LOL just in case anyone is looking for another option instead of gels etc

Sounds interesting. Are you planning on using it for DCM? Can you add it to bottles on the way around or would you need to make it up and carry it? Must google it.

Sorry for all my posts - must learn to quote everybody in one post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

It's not just the DCM, it's a way of life change, small bump in the road

Quoted for truth. Superb attitude there. Fingers crossed you get the all clear from physio.

I went for a walk today. That's right. I hadn't went out for a walk since I started running for DCM months ago. I have walked between runs but never went out to walk-walk if you know what I mean. I had done 13k last night and I was supposed to 8k tonight, but my left hamstring is still bothering me. I feel like I am more like a 3 runs a week person - I have never been able to do three consecutive run days, and now that the LSR and mid-week runs are getting longer, I have trouble running back-to-back as well. I am sure this will have an impact on the main event, but better safe than sorry, listening to your own body etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Any idea where you read about the calories etc? i'd love to try and be more accurate about my nutrition as opposed to guessing how often to take gels etc.

As far as I know calories aren't important at all, we'll burn thousands during a marathon and unless we stop half way for a 4 course meal we won't replace them until after. I'll use Guinness and a pizza!

What we need to replace are carbs. This should help work out how many gr. you will need. Each gel or other energy product will be marked with how many gr of carbs they contain.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/inside-the-magazine/the-long-run/the-long-run-eating-on-the-run_28754

http://www.runningforfitness.org/book/chapter-7-eating-drinking-and-running/energy-while-running

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Something similar happened to me last year, came on all of a sudden during a session.
    1 visit to a sports therapist and I was fixed.

Hopefully the same will be for you. Keep positive.

Regarding the shotblocks - if you haven't tried them already, then you should try them while running at MP.

They are a bit big and chunky for my liking and you need a LOT of them.
    12 blocks equates to 90g carbs
    4 gels equate to 90g carbs.

So you need 3 blocks to get the same carbs as 1 gel.

I find the blocks take an age to eat and leave your mouth a bit.....well.......like eating the corner of a block of jelly when you were young........that kinda feeling.

But do try your racing fuel while (1) running at MP (2) Towards the end of a 20m run.
    Its so easy to take anything while out on an easy run, but your stomach goes a bit haywire on a longer run (at any pace) and running at a decent clip like MP - eating becomes more difficult again.

Edit: just to add to this - also look at the number of calories per 100gr - so you can compare like with like. Just 'cos it has x amounts of carbs, it could have a high number of calories.

https://www.runultra.co.uk/Reviews/Running-nutrition/10-Best-Energy-Gels

skyblue46 wrote: »
    As far as I know calories aren't important at all, we'll burn thousands during a marathon and unless we stop half way for a 4 course meal we won't replace them until after. I'll use Guinness and a pizza!

What we need to replace are carbs. This should help work out how many gr. you will need. Each gel or other energy product will be marked with how many gr of carbs they contain.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/inside-the-magazine/the-long-run/the-long-run-eating-on-the-run_28754

http://www.runningforfitness.org/book/chapter-7-eating-drinking-and-running/energy-while-running

Thanks a mill SkyBlue. Will get reading.

According to Garmin Connect I burned 2,997 while doing Cork City Marathon in June. I would have expected more to be honest.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill SkyBlue. Will get reading.

According to Garmin Connect I burned 2,997 while doing Cork City Marathon in June. I would have expected more to be honest.

And Strava would give you a different number - they all use an algorithm, its not an exact science.
    120/mile is my guideline - but thats only when I want an excuse to open another bottle of wine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

A nice little 5 mile jog this afternoon. My training buddy had some soreness, so we walked a mile. It was nice to be the one that could have kept running for once and to have to slow down for her, it's usually me holding her back.

It's funny how your mindset makes a difference to a run. ONLY 5 miles, this time last year I would have been in a heap even thinking of running 5 miles. Today it was a nice short run, no hassles, no thoughts of not being able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Sounds interesting. Are you planning on using it for DCM? Can you add it to bottles on the way around or would you need to make it up and carry it? Must google it.

Sorry for all my posts - must learn to quote everybody in one post!!

Here the website http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/whytailwind.html for the adventure race I used a hydration pack and added it to my water and sipped it regularly it worked great as I had no cramping when I got on the bike and started cycling uphill

yes, I will use it for DCM and have used it on my lSR you can get it in a big pack and make it up and bring it with you or in stick packs and make it as needed on the go. we are using the naked flavor and the caffeine tropical flavor hubby said he found that great on Saturday he had it in his bottle on the bike, I opted for water LOL

I am trying to lose weight and it has slowed down since I started the marathon training but tonight I reached 2stone 7lbs delighted with myself :)

Based on the calculations from this page I would need 2-3 isogels every hour - that's potentially carrying 12 gels around the marathon which is daft. I carried 6 for Cork and took one every 45 mins but hit the wall at 20 miles. I was handed a mars bar and after walking a bit I ran the last few km's no bother at all. Maybe I should carry mars bars ��

Baby75 wrote: »
    Here the website http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/whytailwind.html for the adventure race I used a hydration pack and added it to my water and sipped it regularly it worked great as I had no cramping when I got on the bike and started cycling uphill

yes, I will use it for DCM and have used it on my lSR you can get it in a big pack and make it up and bring it with you or in stick packs and make it as needed on the go. we are using the naked flavor and the caffeine tropical flavor hubby said he found that great on Saturday he had it in his bottle on the bike, I opted for water LOL

I am trying to lose weight and it has slowed down since I started the marathon training but tonight I reached 2stone 7lbs delighted with myself :)

Thanks for the info. Will you use the hydration pack for DCM or make it in the go?

Well done on the weight loss! That is fantastic. I put on 15.5lbs training for Cork. I was so hungry all the time I found. I've nearly a stone gone this time but it's very hard while marathon training. Makes a bit difference to my running though being a bit lighter. You are really helping yourself for DCM.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Happy birth-day to Lazare Jr. I hope all goes well.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Happy birth-day to Lazare Jr. I hope all goes well.

Best of luck Lazare!

just a brief update. Physio told me this week to basically try and run and see how i hold up following all the treatment. Basically dont hold back and i will either hold up or not and it will be an indicator of how likely i am to start and finish the DCM.

So I decided to get back into the swing of things with a hard 5km . Not part of my structured plan but then again nor was getting knee pain from an it band issue.

So I just went out and smashed it. No pain at all and set 5km and 1 mile PBs along the way. No sign of pain last night or today and no stiffness so i plan to get back to my training programme as of today.

this training bloc has been a total rollercoaster of emotions from thinking I wont make the start line without cortisone injections last week to smashing my 5km pb a week later.

I dont know if Im coming and going anymore !!

Based on the calculations from this page I would need 2-3 isogels every hour - that's potentially carrying 12 gels around the marathon which is daft. I carried 6 for Cork and took one every 45 mins but hit the wall at 20 miles. I was handed a mars bar and after walking a bit I ran the last few km's no bother at all. Maybe I should carry mars bars ��

gels are handed out on course by spectators and officials. I got handed gels , jelly beans etc by just people cheering on the runners when i did DCM IN 2014.

I brought just two gels with me to the start line and was still able to gather enough from the side of the road to take 3 an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Literally just out from physio myself too. Basically, it's not shin splints as I thought, she seems to think it's my calf which is a huge relief.

Ordered off it for few days. Given some stretching which I HAVE to do everyday. She massaged it out and feels better even walking.

Said I could attempt a short run Monday to see how I get on, so no LSR this weekend.

Overall, not the end of the world

Advertisement