Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

congrats lazar great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lazare wrote: »
    Little baby girl born just after 11am, her and her Mama doing great.

Great long legs on her, 2037 novice methinks. :)
    Oh fabulous news! Congrats Lazare and to the mammy too x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats Lazare.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Great news, huge congratulations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Congratulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll add to the congratulations...just don't think it's a free pass to miss a run! ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Congratulations. Any name yet? Something Greek perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Congrats Lazare! Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Will you use the hydration pack for DCM or make it in the go?

Well done on the weight loss! That is fantastic. I put on 15.5lbs training for Cork. I was so hungry all the time I found. I've nearly a stone gone this time but it's very hard while marathon training. Makes a bit difference to my running though being a bit lighter. You are really helping yourself for DCM.

yep, I will I have been training with it to get used to it, I will probably have someone to hand me a banana if I need it :) and thank you I am feeling great I have a bit to go to my target I hope it does help, its coming off slowly but I have noticed I am losing inches

Huge congratulations on your new baby girl :)

D3PO and Brownbinman delighted to read you are both ok and I hope no more issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Congrats Lazare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll add to the congratulations...just don't think it's a free pass to miss a run! ��

:) cheers Sean, hitting the sack shortly and getting up at the crack to attempt a 16 miler, calf feels better. The hair will be let down tomorrow night.
    muddypaws wrote: »
    Congratulations. Any name yet? Something Greek perhaps?

Haha, funny you say that, we did pick a Greek name, Eleni.

It's pronounced Eh Lenny, gonna spend the next few months explaining that to folk though :)

Thanks so much for all the well wishes folks, really nice to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

:) cheers Sean, hitting the sack shortly and getting up at the crack to attempt a 16 miler, calf feels better. The hair will be let down tomorrow night.

Haha, funny you say that, we did pick a Greek name, Eleni.

It's pronounced Eh Lenny, gonna spend the next few months explaining that to folk though :)

Beautiful name! Congrats! I admire your dedication to DCM training.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Congratulations on the new adventures with your mini-human. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

Congratulations Lazare!! And fair play if you can manage that and DCM trianing. I went thru it a few years ago and I recall it being harder than the marathon training. :)

Brrrrrr cold outside today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Monday - 5 mile Easy / 7.84km @ 6.59

Tuesday - Rest / 6.68km leisurely walk

Wednesday - 12 mile LSR / 19.59km @ 7:38 - appeared on my Garmin app, but for some reason didn't transfer to Strava but I did do this run ... honest!

Thursday - rest

Friday - 8 mile Easy / 13.49km @ 7:34

Saturday - 4 mile Easy / 6.11km @ 7:05 and 2.04km moderately brisk walk.

Sunday - planned rest.

Total for the week: 47.03km.

Not a lot to say about any of my runs. Just glad to have another week out of the way, and looking forward to the HM next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

18 miles done this morning, delighted with myself, felt quite strong finishing. Left knee a little tender last few miles, glad I have the physio on Monday. Step back week next week with "only" the Dublin Half to run as my LSR, a few months ago if you said that half distance was "only" anything, i'd have thought you were crazy!
    All in all, runners high at the moment, best of luck to you all heading out on your LSR's this weekend, only a few more to go before the taper, whoohoo!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Settling into a pattern of only 3 runs a week. Find that as the runs get longer my leg needs a day of recovery between runs. It's fine mostly but I'm 'minding' it.
    Skipping the shortest run though always.

Monday - 4 miles
    Wednesday - 8 miles
    Saturday - 12 and a bit miles. Nice run this morning even though I was tired. No drama. No walking. No stops. Did a good few hills in preparation of next week.

Need to think about my strategy for next weeks HM. Not going to run it very hard for sure but I would have matched my very soft HM PB in my LSR today if I'd kept going. Might start the uphill part at my LSR pace and stretch it out a bit for the downhill if in feeling good.

Hope everyone got on well with their LSRs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I am in dublin this weekend and passed a group of 3 ladies when I was walking to a conference this morning. They were running slow and had lots of fuel/fluids etc. My first thought was "I wonder are they boardsie novices on their LSR :D"

I'm kinda looking forward to 16mi tomorrow but nervous also. The hardest part of getting to the finish line is the mental part isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

sillymoo wrote: »
    I am in dublin this weekend and passed a group of 3 ladies when I was walking to a conference this morning. They were running slow and had lots of fuel/fluids etc. My first thought was "I wonder are they boardsie novices on their LSR :D"

I'm kinda looking forward to 16mi tomorrow but nervous also. The hardest part of getting to the finish line is the mental part isn't it.

Its funny, I had the exact same thoughts on my LSR this morning!!, passed loads of people with bottles etc clearly on LSR's, some looking a bit worse for wear but gainfully struggling on, fair play to them :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is anyone else here planning a tattoo afterwards? 26.2 will be contained but Im not sure what else or where😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks so much for all the well wishes folks, really nice to read.

Belated congrats to you and Mrs Lazare on the new arrival. Nice work on the 16 miles this morning too. It might be a bit harder getting out once Mrs L and Eleni are home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

First 20 miler done. Struggled in parts, flew through other parts. A little sore but delighted with having done it.

Belated congrats to you and Mrs Lazare on the new arrival. Nice work on the 16 miles this morning too. It might be a bit harder getting out once Mrs L and Eleni are home ;)

Haha, cheers Wubble, it will be a struggle for sure. Might try incorporate some bleary eyed lunchtime running at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Belated congrats aswell Lazare, best of luck with the new addition!

Shouldnt have sat down after work, now I dont want to move. Off to the park on my 12 miler, as many have said already its mad to think this is a short run nowadays! :D

Facebook just reminded me that today is the 5th anniversary of my first ever 5km run. I remember reading this thread back then and subsequent years since feeling in awe and thinking everyone was superhuman. I've been far from consistent with my running since then but still can't believe that now I'm doing half marathons as my training runs. Whatever happens on the DCM day I will feel proud about how far I've come. Only 3 big LSRs to go and we are on the home stretch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

leesider77 wrote: »
    Facebook just reminded me that today is the 5th anniversary of my first ever 5km run. I remember reading this thread back then and subsequent years since feeling in awe and thinking everyone was superhuman. I've been far from consistent with my running since then but still can't believe that now I'm doing half marathons as my training runs. Whatever happens on the DCM day I will feel proud about how far I've come. Only 3 big LSRs to go and we are on the home stretch!
    That['s nice and sending you a big congratulations. It only seems impossible, when you haven't tried :) I hear a lot saying they couldn't run, but most are capable of it with a bit of good advice and patience :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

20 miles done this morning. Went really well. Fairly consistent and good pace. Trying to decide what LSRs I'll do for the next 3 weeks. I'd like to do 18, 20 and 22 not necessarily in that order but missing out on a step back week then. The 22 is mainly for mental reasons as I got into trouble at 20 in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

leesider77 wrote: »

Need to think about my strategy for next weeks HM. Not going to run it very hard for sure but I would have matched my very soft HM PB in my LSR today if I'd kept going. Might start the uphill part at my LSR pace and stretch it out a bit for the downhill if in feeling good.

Hope everyone got on well with their LSRs?

I need to start thinking about my strategy too! I'm getting nervous of all the talk about the uphill first half, I'm presuming (hoping) it a gradual uphill!
    I was optimistically hoping maybe to go out with the 2hr pacers but now I'm not so sure, maybe the 2.10 might be a better option.
    Are you planning to run with the pacers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

18 mile lsr, delighted!!!!!! 11.54 per minute. On a runners high now. Felt grand at the end and felt like I could keep going! Yahoo!! This is the first time I've felt like DCM is actually achieveable!

I ran from Marino into St Anne's park and then along the Coast, beautiful route. Nutrition wise, I ate 2 poached eggs and 2 slices of toast an hour beforehand which worked really well, much better than my usual 1 weetabix.
    Drank a bottle of water and ate a packet of jelly babies along the route so didn't feel dehydrated/ starving for once.
    Timing wise- I felt comfortable. Could have pushed on but was abit unsure if I'd be able to manage the whole run so stuck with comfortable. Will aim for 10 minute something mile for the half marathon and next lsr

Onwards we go :-)

Advertisement