Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Week 12?? Report

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 6m @ 9.37 easy
    Wednesday: 9m @ 8.54 with 1m w/u + 1m c/d
    Thursday: 3m rec
    Friday: stretch DVD
    Saturday: 16 miles LSR @ 10.01

Good week, my paces for Wednesday & my LSR were faster than usual but maybe that's my fitness improving.
    Still not sure what pace I'm planning for the marathon, keep flittering between playing it safe and pushing a bit harder, so difficult to know what to do but I suppose there's still time to decide!
    Can't believe we only have 6 weeks of training left, the time has flown by!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

20m done..... well actually I lie I only did 32.1km so about 19.9m :(

Delighted. But I'm quite tender since. I developed a pain in my right shin @ about 26km, I struggled on but it's very sore since. Sitting with an ice pack typing this :(

I've booked a physio appointment for Tuesday so fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Well done everyone on the great LSRs done today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Week 12 Report:

Monday - 4m easy @ 8:14 min/mi. Was supposed to be last weeks LSR but got 2 miles in in the rain and it got absolutely torrential so I turned around and went home. Looking back now im a bit glad I ended up just doing the 4 miles because if I didnt then this week wouldnt have been a stepback week at all before the HM.

Wednesday - 5m easy @ 8:31 min/mi. Early morning run before my driving lesson and work which is why it was a bit faster then it should have been. Ran on empty which I dont normally get to do, was no problem at all tbh.

Thursday - 8m easy @ 9:12 min/mi. Ran by glasnevin cemetery and then took the canal back to campbells bridge, grand little run.

Saturday - 12m LSR @ 9:42 min/mi. Just as i was setting up the watch and Strava outside the house it started raining, said id wait 5minutes for it to stop but it never did. Decided to head out anyways because I wasnt letting it get in the way of another run. Layered up and off I went. Started slow from the outset which isnt normally what I do, it takes me one or two miles to get into a rythm. Down cardiffsbridge road to the canal and up into ashtown, into the park and ran around the back of the zoo then onto Chesterfield. Despite the rain there was loads of people out running theyre LSR's which was good to see! Got home and I was drenched but thoroughly enjoyed it, the pacing wasnt too bad either and it felt like a proper LSR.

Looking forward to the half next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I need to start thinking about my strategy too! I'm getting nervous of all the talk about the uphill first half, I'm presuming (hoping) it a gradual uphill!
    I was optimistically hoping maybe to go out with the 2hr pacers but now I'm not so sure, maybe the 2.10 might be a better option.
    Are you planning to run with the pacers?

I really wanted to run with a pacer to get the experience but the 2hr pacer will be a stretch too far for me. I'd give it a go if I didn't have DCM to think about. Is there a 2:10 one - I thought 2:00 was the last group?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ah it's great to come on and read all the reports of successful long runs all round. The optimism is apparent after quite a number of downbeat and anxious posts over the past week. Injuries and bad runs had dampened the enthusiasm of some but thanks to physios, each other and pure bloodymindedness it seems that the general morale is on the up! This little group of novices, with priceless help from the mentors and advisors, will not be beaten. Let's get this thing done!!

• Advertisement

leesider77 wrote: »
    I really wanted to run with a pacer to get the experience but the 2hr pacer will be a stretch too far for me. I'd give it a go if I didn't have DCM to think about. Is there a 2:10 one - I thought 2:00 was the last group?

2 hours is the last pacer according to the website :(

skyblue46 wrote: »
    2 hours is the last pacer according to the website :(

There was definitely a 2.10 pacer last year cause I was going to run with him but decided to go ahead when the race started but maybe that's changed for this year :(

ariana` wrote: »

Delighted. But I'm quite tender since. I developed a pain in my right shin @ about 26km, I struggled on but it's very sore since. Sitting with an ice pack typing this :(

I've booked a physio appointment for Tuesday so fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Hope it's nothing too serious, think we all have a few niggles at this stage. My hip isn't great tonight but think a bit of foam rolling should sort it out!

Hope it's nothing too serious, think we all have a few niggles at this stage. My hip isn't great tonight but think a bit of foam rolling should sort it out!

Yes it's no shock to be honest to have niggles at this stage!! The shin is a bit of a new one for me. I get niggles in my right hip too and rolling with a tennis ball usually does the job but I'm not sure what to do with the shin except ice and i just had an Epsom salts bath :)

I hope we're both better tomorrow xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Settling into a pattern of only 3 runs a week. Find that as the runs get longer my leg needs a day of recovery between runs. It's fine mostly but I'm 'minding' it.
    Skipping the shortest run though always.

I have found the same, I have sometimes added up the midweek mileage and split it into two runs but the last 2 to 3 weeks the legs are coping better with the midweek runs I hope it stays that way now
    Good week, my paces for Wednesday & my LSR were faster than usual but maybe that's my fitness improving.
    I noticed the same this week, I ran at a quicker pace during the week, I have yet to run my LSR doing that tomorrow morning and going to incorporate some hills I think

Ohhh I hope it is ok , Shin pain is evil wear some support on it and stretch the calfs that can cause it I am glad you have a physio booked FX your much better before Tuesday

Well done to all getting out running today the weather is horrible wet and cold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Well done on the 20 miler ariana, it's certainly a milestone distance.
    Take care with the shin and I'd recommend no running until you see the physio. You want to give yourself every opportunity to recover.

Well done on the 20 miler ariana, it's certainly a milestone distance.
    Take care with the shin and I'd recommend no running until you see the physio. You want to give yourself every opportunity to recover.
    Have a 3m recovery in the plan for tomorrow and i was going to see how I am feeling tomorrow but I think I will rest up now on your advice! There's a big football match to watch anyhow :)

Funny in every other way it was the perfect run, my HR was lower than usual for LSRs, i didnt feel tired or anything like that, and fuelling etc went really well... damn body letting me down:(

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Have a 3m recovery in the plan for tomorrow and i was going to see how I am feeling tomorrow but I think I will rest up now on your advice! There's a big football match to watch anyhow :)

Funny in every other way it was the perfect run, my HR was lower than usual for LSRs, i didnt feel tired or anything like that, and fuelling etc went really well... damn body letting me down:(

That doesn't surprise me, you've been killing the training. Enjoy the match, your shin will thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Weekly report.

Mon 3.5m tempo @ 8:25. Run felt a bit tougher than it should, also should have been 4 miles, but I was at the end of my road after 3.5......
    Blaming jetlag again!!

Tues 8m pace @ 8:55 Getting a bit breezy on the last bit, but overall good run.

Wed 5.5m easy @9:27. 5m called for on the plan - making up for Monday?. Another breezy run. Gotta love storm season!

Friday 16m LSR @9:30. After last week's less than encouraging LSR (completely ran out of steam after 11m), this week's was really great. I had porridge an hour before heading out and brought a couple of gels with me. Had one at 10 miles as planned and didn't bother taking the other one as I'd planned to at 13ish miles. Mainly because at that point I'd just managed to make my hands feel not sticky anymore! I passed (as in crossed paths with, not overtook :) ) Mick Clohisey 3 times on my run, so I've now officially elevated myself to 'distance runner' status!

Sat 3m recovery. Was in Chicago and forgot to bring my Garmin with me so just used strava on my phone. It reckons my pace for this run was 9:05, but I think it was much slower - I was a bit stiff from yesterday's LSR and flight and was just loosening out. Followed it with a jump in the lake - which was bloody freezing - the swimmers in their wetsuits should have been a warning! Nice though :)

Saw the physio again Tuesday afternoon. More needling and more exercises + increasing weights/planks/side planks reps. I'm hoping this is all going to stand to me!
    Didn't manage to get to pilates - just not enough time in the week.

All in all very happy with the week. Hip (which is mainly my gluteus medius tendon) is still bothering me, but more when I'm not running than when I'm running, so I'm just going with it and hoping that it doesn't become too much of an issue. Balancing the running and the injuries now like a few on here - let's hope the bodies hold out for a few more (6) weeks!!

Edit: Sunday (today) Walk to Croker. Jump up and down for 70 minutes. Increase HR intermittently to stratospheric levels. Walk home via pub for hopefully celebratory drinks! Up the Dubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hopefully nothing major Ariana. Great job on the run. I did 20 miles too and my watch is in kms. I'd forgotten the conversion is 32.2kms and nearly stopped at 32km to walk to cool down and was pure chance I was on a downhill and decided to keep running.

Anyway, a great stretch for the shins is to stand on a step with the heels down. If the pain is kind of on the inside of the shins then turn you feet towards each other a little as you do the stretch. When I had shin trouble my physio told me do that every time I passed a step.
    Hope my description makes sense :-)

First morning run done that started in darkness! Had to rejig my week so it was my PMP run. Loved it. Now as some of you might guess by my username I'm a huge Dubs fan so today is a massive day. The downside.....I have to work and we have no access to tv, radio or phones!!! Hope ye all enjoy the game. COYBIB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Nice to get a couple of morning runs done if you can good prep for the day itself and it is good to know how the body adapts to running at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Week 12

Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest|
    Tue | 6 Mile Easy| 10:29
    Wed | 10 Mile PMP 1 CD| 10:09
    Thu | 3.1 Mile Recovery| 10:35
    Fri | Rest |
    Sat | 20 Mile LSR| 10:47
    Sun | 3.1 Mile Recovery| 10:49

I got a little excited during the PMP run and did the warm up mile too fast. Kept going for the 10 and then a cool down mile.

Could still feel it in the legs at the start of the LSR. Delighted with the 20 miles. Really needed to do it after missing 2 LSRs due to holidays.

I'm not going to race the half marathon. Initial plan was sub 2 hours. Instead I'm going to do 6 miles at PMP and then the rest at 2 hour pace should see me get a 5 second PB. It might need a sprint to the line!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hopefully nothing major Ariana. Great job on the run. I did 20 miles too and my watch is in kms. I'd forgotten the conversion is 32.2kms and nearly stopped at 32km to walk to cool down and was pure chance I was on a downhill and decided to keep running.

Anyway, a great stretch for the shins is to stand on a step with the heels down. If the pain is kind of on the inside of the shins then turn you feet towards each other a little as you do the stretch. When I had shin trouble my physio told me do that every time I passed a step.
    Hope my description makes sense :-)

Well done on doing the full 20 :) How are you today after it?

Thanks I will try that stretch. It's funny today there is a small area (about the size of 2 x €2 coins) that is slightly raised and red and feels tender or bruised. It basically looks like I got a kick in the shins!! It's a weird one.... anyhow it's not too sore today. My ankles/heels were stiff when I got up but they're loosening out as I go about my day. Its beautiful in the West today and I'm dog-sitting so I should get a walk in later for recovery :)

Well done on doing the full 20 :) How are you today after it?

Thanks I will try that stretch. It's funny today there is a small area (about the size of 2 x €2 coins) that is slightly raised and red and feels tender or bruised. It basically looks like I got a kick in the shins!! It's a weird one.... anyhow it's not too sore today. My ankles/heels were stiff when I got up but they're loosening out as I go about my day. Its beautiful in the West today and I'm dog-sitting so I should get a walk in later for recovery :)

My knees are a bit sore but otherwise feel good. I should have had an Epsom salts bath last night but was too tired to go run it. I slept like a log last night.

The shin problem I had was a bit similar and it was a massive knot in the muscle. I could feel the bump too and a sharp pain that I was convinced was a shin splint. You could rub arnica on it until you get to a physio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Week 14 of 20:

Bad week overall but hopefully all good long term.

Mon:4m @ 8.40. About a mile out I got a real sharp pain in my Achilles like someone stuck a pin in it. Stopped immediately and massages it for a min. Jogged again and soreness went away after 10 secs.
    Tues: 9.5m @ 8.00 . Felt a few small niggles during the run but otherwise fine till I got home. Once I got in the house, Achilles was throbbing and very sore. Iced it.
    Wed: rest
    Thurs: decided to try a 2m trot to see but very sore after again.

Have done nothing since and missed this weeks LSR so bit annoyed over that. Will
    See how it is by tues/wed and either go the physio or try a run. HM next prob off the table for racing now anyway. May do it as a LSR if feeling ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Find that as the runs get longer my leg needs a day of recovery between runs. It's fine mostly but I'm 'minding' it.
    Skipping the shortest run though always.

This is so true, except it's worse here - need two days to recover from a long run and last week was just 2 runs for me. I wonder if there's a 2 LSR per week marathon training plan? :o

For my first run I did 13k @ nearly 6m/km pace. I would like do hold this pace for marathon, but my LSR yesterday proved to me that it's probably not realistic - 28k @ 7m/km pace is all I could do - again the left hamstring tightening up mid-run. At this speed, I am revising my marathon target to a realistic 5h. :o

Looking forward to the half this weekend - will try to stick to 6 - 6:15minute/km pace as long as I can, and then fingers crossed. Also hoping that lucozade will give me a boost as all my LSRs on 'empty' - although I ended up buying some water yesterday (not because I was thirsty but because I wanted an excuse to stop for a few minutes...). Also I realised the shoes now has more than 600 kms on it.. as soon as saw that statistic, they have started feeling very flat and wooden... it's all in the mind, but considering getting a new pair, I hope it's not too late to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Just back from our LSR we chose a nice quiet route and hubby wanted to avoid the big hill at the start, so we tried a new route and got lost and found lots of hill's so we had a few stops to get out the phone and check google maps to make sure we were heading in the right direction:D poor hubby ankle and heel started hurting him which made the last few KM so hard on him he had to take some walk breaks I think he will be going to physio this week

But otherwise, I was very happy with it, felt good my left calf is a little tight from all our uphill running some amazing views and the weather was lovely it was sunny and warm and I made some new friends with some very friendly little dogs one was only a puppy very cute

I have noticed this week my average pace has gotten a little quicker does that happen should I slow down or is it ok, I was running by how I felt so not pushing it, it felt easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Don't be too worried about missing the LSR this week you are doing the right thing being sensible;no point being silly and putting the big day in jeopardy.. Sounds to me like a trip to the Physio would be the right move to a. Give you peace of mind that you are good to go or b. Not doing any damage by running on an injury.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Week 14 of 20:
    Have done nothing since and missed this weeks LSR so bit annoyed over that. Will
    See how it is by tues/wed and either go the physio or try a run. HM next prob off the table for racing now anyway. May do it as a LSR if feeling ok

Jaysus it's really turning into a Spot the Boards Novices competition on the Strava page!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Hi guys, haven't looked in here for a couple of weeks, reason being I had nearly two weeks without a run, combination of being away, a wedding that I had to play some music at and hanging jobs. So I wasn't feeling the Mae West about the whole thing and therefore was not keen to remind myself of all you guys logging miles! :)

Happy to report I got back on the horse this week, following the HH1 plan and this week was a step back on the lsr, but I missed the 16m last weekend so did it this weekend and made the rest of my miles. Was tough over the last few miles but got it done ok. The distance is certainly gaining my respect.

Congrats to everybody on all the progress and getting this far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

a bit quiet here today - you'd swear there was something on................

My weekly message: COYBIB.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Jaysus it's really turning into a Spot the Boards Novices competition on the Strava page!!

Have you everybody figured out? :-)

a bit quiet here today - you'd swear there was something on................

My weekly message: COYBIB.

I've no idea what you are talking about - was there something on today? ;-) ;-)

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    This is so true, except it's worse here - need two days to recover from a long run and last week was just 2 runs for me. I wonder if there's a 2 LSR per week marathon training plan? :o

For my first run I did 13k @ nearly 6m/km pace. I would like do hold this pace for marathon, but my LSR yesterday proved to me that it's probably not realistic - 28k @ 7m/km pace is all I could do - again the left hamstring tightening up mid-run. At this speed, I am revising my marathon target to a realistic 5h. :o

Looking forward to the half this weekend - will try to stick to 6 - 6:15minute/km pace as long as I can, and then fingers crossed. Also hoping that lucozade will give me a boost as all my LSRs on 'empty' - although I ended up buying some water yesterday (not because I was thirsty but because I wanted an excuse to stop for a few minutes...). Also I realised the shoes now has more than 600 kms on it.. as soon as saw that statistic, they have started feeling very flat and wooden... it's all in the mind, but considering getting a new pair, I hope it's not too late to change.

There is a few weeks left so don't let one bad run define your PMP. I see a wide range in my run paces depending on what's going on.

Advertisement