Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Another week down , belated congrats to Lazare excellent news , wishes to yourself and your good lady. Well done all on your training some great progress nice to pop in and read the updates and see others are suffering similarly :)

Week 10 of 16 - Theme of this week is dealing with my first ever injury

Monday Rest day
    Tuesday Tuesday is normally a session day was going to do 3 * 2 mile but wanted a longer interval and to mix it up did a 3 mile tempo/5 min rest / 2 mile tempo / 5 min rest / 1 mile tempo , I don't know what tempo pace is but did them at a pace that I was leaving nothing out there around 6.30-6.40 per mile pace. Total 16km .
    Wednesday Easy jog to work 15k around 5.30 pace
    Thursday I noticed a slight pain in my shin Wednesday night , googled it and happy it wasn't a stress fracture as couldn't pin point any where that was sore it just kinda comes and goes when walking about weird , probably a muscular thing. Considered foam rolling but haven't rolled in foam since Ibiza 2002 so decided to ice it instead .
    Lunch time came so I jogged really slowly down to sean moore park and running group and did 12*400's off 30 rest (probably in hindsight not a great idea) , total for day 12km ish and shin still feeling sore intermittently .
    Friday Rest day but i walk a lot for work so would easily cover 15km walking each day not ideal when your trying to rest the shin.
    Saturday Got up to do my usual LSR but I could feel my shin straight away niggling so went back to bed , decided to get up then a bit later and go do the Parkrun. A 3km warm up and I could barely put one foot in front of the other was limping a bit it was then I knew this could be PB day! Sh*t warm up = great race :)
    Met Singer at the start (guy puts me to shame with his mileage , amazing runner) had a brief chat and then set off like a lunatic, I haven't raced a parkrun in ages and totally forgot about my shin as I went through 1km in 3 mins 30 seconds , spent the rest of the race trying to recover but still run fast , this marathon training is amazing I could still push on to a PB on a poorly paced race 18.44 if I don't make marathon at least I have PB'd in 5 and 10km.
    Sunday Planned rest day but after watching the Dubs was renewed with energy and fancied a run , went really slow trying not to heel strike and keep my feet under me , ran on the beach and on grass as much as possible. 28k in 2.38 was all about time on feet , shin feels ok mostly , look forward to tapering.

Weekly total 78km second highest ever
    Next week will be a step back week with the half on , probably a tough session Tuesday 4/5*1 mile but otherwise easy runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Looked back at last years novices thread and for the DC HM 2016 they said on website that there was only pacers to 2:00 but on the day apparently they had others. Anyone know how I can find out the plan for this year?

Based on last years thread, if it's any consolation to people with niggles, this time last year there were a lot of people with similar issues and most went on to race on the day so don't worry about a few missed runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Have you everybody figured out? :-)

Most of the regulars on here yes! But all these lads running 80 miles a week...eh no! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Most of the regulars on here yes! But all these lads running 80 miles a week...eh no! Lol

They wouldn't be novices per say but a few of them would be active enough in here giving input (joined this week myself just to keep an eye on ya's as I noticed a few of you popping up on my strava but managed to blend into the crowd with a lower than normal mileage week :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

leesider77 wrote: »
    Looked back at last years novices thread and for the DC HM 2016 they said on website that there was only pacers to 2:00 but on the day apparently they had others. Anyone know how I can find out the plan for this year?
    pacers up to 2:30 this year
    130..Abhain and dublin runner
    140..beebbeep and killerz
    150. jackyback and ankers
    2:00 The family of stews
    2:10 younganne and TonyB
    2:20.Des and eddward
    230 casssin74 and Anne
    A motley crew of super experience, 2 newbies and a token triathlete..Even splits all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's brilliant! Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A great spread of times from the pacers again this year.

If you are planning on running with a pace group at the DCM (which I imagine most will be) I would suggest that you go with a pace group for the 1/2 as it will give you a insight on what it is like to run with a group and will mean you can practice another part of the day itself.

For those of you on the niggles/injured list don't get disheartened there is still plenty of weeks to get right for the big day.....get yourselves sorted and get back on the horse when you can.

Again some great progress over the weekend by the sound of it.....keep the updates and reports coming in.....good or bad it is good to share your experiences and as all ways don't be afraid to ask anything!

I am sure WW will be along with the weekly update once he recovers from yesterday!

Keep up the good work we are almost there.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

back to training last week to see how the knee holds up.

Friday 5km effort @ 4 mins 36 per KM

Saturday 14 mile long run @ 5 mins 50 per KM (was supposed to be 16 miles, knee was fine till mile 11 then started to hurt and gradually got worse till I stopped) and yes it was too fast for a long run but the pent up adrenaline from being sidelined was the contributory factor lol

Sunday 5 km recovery @ 5 mins 57 per KM

Not sure how to assess the knee, I mean I cant expect the pain to magically disappear and if I compare it to a week ago when I had the pain from mile 1 through 9 till I had to stop its a marked improvement. I will continue going to the physio doing my stretchs, icing and rolling and see how I fare.

Im certainly not out of the woods yet and the chances of going sub 4 hours get further away by the week but lets see how I go

Rockyman7 wrote: »
    leesider77 wrote: »
    pacers up to 2:30 this year
    130..Abhain and dublin runner
    140..beebbeep and killerz
    150. jackyback and ankers
    2:00 The family of stews
    2:10 younganne and TonyB
    2:20.Des and eddward
    230 casssin74 and Anne
    A motley crew of super  experience, 2 newbies and a token triathlete..Even splits all the way
    This is great. Thanks a million for updating us.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Week 11 report.

Struggled this week. Work and life got in the way and found it hard to motivate myself to get out. Tired.

Monday - gym
    Tuesday - 7m at 9 minutes per mile. Set out too fast and failed badly at the end.
    Wednesday - gym
    Thursday - couch......
    Friday - 11m boards session. This was the one good run of the week.
    Saturday - 6m easy
    Sunday -16m LSR. 9.35 min per mile. Then to croker and more heartbreak.

On a positive note, still got the week done even though everything got in the way. Going to be down weeks. Just got to buckle down and get through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Week 11 report.

Struggled this week. Work and life got in the way and found it hard to motivate myself to get out. Tired.

Monday - gym
    Tuesday - 7m at 9 minutes per mile. Set out too fast and failed badly at the end.
    Wednesday - gym
    Thursday - couch......
    Friday - 11m boards session. This was the one good run of the week.
    Saturday - 6m easy
    Sunday -16m LSR. 9.35 min per mile. Then to croker and more heartbreak.

On a positive note, still got the week done even though everything got in the way. Going to be down weeks. Just got to buckle down and get through it.

Reads like a pretty good week to me, 4 runs, 40 miles, a good session and a good LSR, nothing wrong with all that ;)

Sorry for the heartbreak, i can't imagine at this stage, it beggars belief, i imagine 31 counties were left disappointed yesterday evening, i know the atmosphere in my house was very deflated, even my 7 yr old felt a bit of his neighboring county's pain. It's little consolation in the quest for Sam but pls god the ladies will bring home some silverware next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Just realised the clocks go back the night before DCM. While its in our favour (an extra hour in bed), I'm still laughing thinking about the panic it will cause lots of us the night before about phones changing automatically or not

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Just realised the clocks go back the night before DCM. While its in our favour (an extra hour in bed), I'm still laughing thinking about the panic it will cause lots of us the night before about phones changing automatically or not
    Lol! As if we won't have enough to panic about :rolleyes: Still an hour extra in bed, i'll take that thanks, better than them going the other way :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good Morning all

I'm in a little bit of a panic, my calf was bothering me during my run yesterday but more if I stopped it went as I was moving I thought it was just tight. But while the discomfort has eased and it does not feel tight anymore it's quite painful to touch and it's swollen this morning

I am worried about Saturday I'm really looking forward to the Half

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

if in doubt, rest + Physio. Skip the 1/2 if still not right. like myself who has the same, I'm out all week and it's driving me mad but keep your eyes on october

Baby75 wrote: »
    Good Morning all

I'm in a little bit of a panic, my calf was bothering me during my run yesterday but more if I stopped it went as I was moving I thought it was just tight. But while the discomfort has eased and it does not feel tight anymore it's quite painful to touch and it's swollen this morning

I'd ice it and rest as much as possible today. And i'd probably make an Physio appointment also, if you can get one. Hopefully it will settle soon.

Good Morning all

Main thing is to get better. Don't risk running the Half if it will ruin your chance of starting the marathon. You never know all you might need is a few days rest but best to get an experts view to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Week 13

Apologies for the delay in this. Between having visitors Sunday morning and heading to Croker in the afternoon, and the ensuing celebrations, unfortunately something had to give (temporarily). I will have to get back into the routine of Sunday updates again for the closing stages :D

The progress has been phenomenal, especially in recent weeks! Knocking out the 20 and 16 milers with ease. Well ok, tired legs in most cases, but that's to be expected.

If you weren't excited enough already, this Saturday's Race Series Half Marathon should add to the sense of anticipation :)

A new course and venue should make for a special challenge in North County Dublin. It looks like a toughie all right, as the course guide may illustrate.

With this in mind, I recommend a conservative strategy for those of you who intend to race it. The first seven miles have a lot of climbing involved, and it can very easily ruin your race if you go out too hard early on. There's quite a number of pacers to help you for this one. Particularly if you intend to use the pacers in DCM, I recommend availing of them here.

Other important things this week will be how you eat, drink and sleep. Try these with the marathon in mind. Less than 6 weeks to go now. Have your gear laid out on Friday night - if possible with what you intend to wear on the big day. It might be an idea to have a bin bag handy, to keep a bit of warmth in while you're waiting around beforehand. Have you decided on your race day diet/fuelling strategy? I'll be there myself, and hopefully I'll get to put one or two faces to names.

Plans for the week as follows:

HHN1 with HM: Rest + 4M easy + 6M easy + rest + rest + DC HM + 3M rec
    HHN1 without HM: Rest + 4M easy + 6M easy + 4M easy + rest/cross + 15M LSR + 3M rec

Boards with HM: 3M easy + (4M PMP with strides) + rest/cross/3M rec + rest/cross/3M rec + 2M easy + DC HM + 3M rec
    Boards without HM: rest/cross + (4M PMP with strides) + 8M easy + 4M easy + rest/cross + 18M LSR + 3M rec

Good luck!

have it up and icing at the minute looks like I won't be running tomorrow

Its lower down in my soleus, I hope it is not my Achilles FX rest will sort it out! I will book an appointment with physio anyway as it may need some work to stop it getting tight and causing other problems

leesider77 that is very good to hear, as I sit here nursing my own niggle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Went for a nice 11.5 mile run yesterday. Was pushed with time withe the Dubs match on and did it in 1hr:39. Wanted to do more and feel like I could have done an extra 3 or 4 miles but didnt want to miss the start of the game.

Gym today and 2 more 3/4 mile runs on Tues and Weds and thats me done until the Halfer. Really looking forward to it.

Hoping to finish in under 2 hours :) Hopefully its a nice day out on Sat as its a lovely course and I have never ran out that way.

Im already getting the fear of the 26 miles (will I be able for it etc) but sure its all natural and Im plugging away until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Week 12

Mon: 3.9m @ 8.13
    Tue: 4.9 @ 9.02
    Weds: 13.6m @ 7.25 [<PMP run; started off faster than i had planned, felt remarkably good and just kept at a strong pace throughout; i had planned to ease off for the 2nd half, but then i miscalculated and went too far up the coast road, meaning i had to keep the pace up to get home to let my wife get to the gym; my biggest worry has been my ability to sustain fast paces over extended distances, so this was hugely encouraging for me - felt great throughout and afterwards, other than an extra few aches than usual for mid-week, felt great after)
    Thurs: 3.9m @ 8.31
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Rest
    Sunday: LSR 12: 16m @ 8.50

TOTAL: 42.3m

So all was going spectacularly well until Sunday's LSR, when about 3 miles or so from the finish i noticed a fairly mild top of the foot pain in the left foot. It was barely worth paying attention to and something similar to something i get occasionally on the right foot, which i would classify as a niggle (which is now gone). When i got home, i noticed some mild swelling/bruising in the mid foot, some local diffuse tenderness and some pain when walking barefoot and especially going down the stairs. It was on an easy LSR and the only thing out of the ordinary is that i was back into my old Kayanos after 3 runs in my new GT2000s (marathon shoes). Other than that, it was standard vanilla LSR on a route i know well with nothing unusual occurring - in hindsight i do remember hopping off a kerb a bit funny a few miles before i felt it but doubt that's relevant.

Anyway, 24 hours of RICE, and its still there though improved; swelling/bruising dissipating and migrating and pain only on exaggerated movements. Stress fractures are always a possibility so i'm slightly on edge re that. Will take a few days off, RICE it, and if it isn't gone by then, will see what a physio thinks. My training has been so incident free that i have been waiting for something to happen, and here it is; hopefully, its just a bump in the road rather than anything worse. Was looking froward to giving the half socks at the weekend, but will need to keep that plan under review for a few days. Fingers crossed...

Baby I remember reading a sage piece of advice earlier in this thread.

Your goal is the DCM not the half, dont push things if your not right, Remember the goal and work towards that.

If it makes yhou feel anybetter I was looking forward to doing the dublin half but with my injury setback im not not doing it and focusing on the right training I need for DCM namely my 18 mile long run.

Dont push yourself if your not right.

D3PO wrote: »
    Baby I remember reading a sage piece of advice earlier in this thread.

Your goal is the DCM not the half, dont push things if your not right, Remember the goal and work towards that.

If it makes yhou feel anybetter I was looking forward to doing the dublin half but with my injury setback im not not doing it and focusing on the right training I need for DCM namely my 18 mile long run.

Dont push yourself if your not right.

Good advice. And to add as you know i DNF'ed my half last week, like you i had been really looking forward to seeing what i could do and while i was gutted on the day i've since gotten over it and realised that the marathon is the priority right now. There'll be plenty of HMs next Spring to target.

drkpower we are all in the wars to some degree it seems. Hope it eases for you.

oh and on a side note which is kinda DCM related as its in a large part thanks to the training. I got on the scales this morning and Ive now lost over 15 pounds in weight since training started.

So down over a stone and the lightest ive been since 2014. Sorry couldn't help but boast about it to random internet peeps :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Heavy weekend with lots of alcohol on Saturday night and all day Sunday. Got the LSR in on Saturday afternoon, 18 miler at 8:45 which I'm reasonably okay with. Ran it without any food or water (almost certainly a terrible idea, so gonna have to sort something out for future LSRs). Initial goal PMP was 8:00, not sure how achievable that still is but still ticking along okay.

Haven't really decided on a running strategy for the Half Marathon this Saturday. Not sure if I'll try race it or run it a bit more conservatively as a training run. Will be interested to hear what approach everyone else is taking.

D3PO well done :D I got my 2 stone half pound award this week as well which I was delighted with

I hear you and good advice :) I will see how I go but not going to risk anything my plan for the HM was just to finish it I had no time goal in mind at all

Ariana :) I would do the same if I was not right

D3PO well done :D I got my 2 stone half pound award this week as well which I was delighted with

I hear you and good advice :) I will see how I go but not going to risk anything my plan for the HM was just to finish it I had no time goal in mind at all

Ariana :) I would do the same if I was not right

Think of it in this perspective. You have done one or more half marathons in training so you have already finished a few of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Hello All,

I got a bit more back on track this week. Date - Miles - Time-Pace

11-Sep 7.00 1.09.52 9.58
    13-Sep 8.00 1.16.21 9.31
    15-Sep 6.00 57.57 9.39
    16-Sep 18.03 3.11.24 10.37

Found the 18 miler long and slowed towards the end but felt ok soon afterwards. Ran it on a Weetabix for breakfast and with just lucozade sport carried with me so maybe if I had gels I might have finished better.
    Going for 20 miles this weekend. bought some Hi5 gels at weekend so will try them on Sat.

Guy in cycle shop said ones with caffeine are most popular so went with those. Any thoughts on whether caffeine is good or bad or what is the difference?

Only three long runs till taper!
    Mistakenly read up on hitting the wall over the weekend and I'm starting to panic now!!

• Advertisement

henrietta wrote: »
    Hello All,

I got a bit more back on track this week. Date - Miles - Time-Pace

11-Sep 7.00 1.09.52 9.58
    13-Sep 8.00 1.16.21 9.31
    15-Sep 6.00 57.57 9.39
    16-Sep 18.03 3.11.24 10.37

Found the 18 miler long and slowed towards the end but felt ok soon afterwards. Ran it on a Weetabix for breakfast and with just lucozade sport carried with me so maybe if I had gels I might have finished better.
    Going for 20 miles this weekend. bought some Hi5 gels at weekend so will try them on Sat.

Guy in cycle shop said ones with caffeine are most popular so went with those. Any thoughts on whether caffeine is good or bad or what is the difference?

Only three long runs till taper!
    Mistakenly read up on hitting the wall over the weekend and I'm starting to panic now!!

Great week.

My biggest fear with using caffeine is that it could have a slight laxative effect :eek: But if you have access to toilets on your route then no harm to try it out and it may not be an issue for you.

Advertisement